E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Few weeks back a stag hit my car so need to sort my headlight. I have a 330ci 2003 facelift model.

The bulb stopped working and despite a new one and power going to the unit, its not coming on. Im also trying to work out if i need to replace it the second hand units i can buy. Whats the code on my current lights i need to use to find a replacement?

thanks for any help!

rob

·
Premium Member
2005, E46 Convertible, 330CI M Sport, Mystic Blue, 76k Miles
262 Posts
Have you taken a look onE at to find a matching one. Post a picture f what you need I have a spare.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying mate. This is the side i need but didnt know how many version there were for those lights as i cant seem to match the bottom code anywhere

·
Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
710 Posts
Facelift Coupe Headlights

You have a white indicator, non-titanium headlight. But I can't tell form the outside if it's the halogen, bi-xenon or bi-xenon AHL (Adaptive Head Lights, lights which horizontally swivel with the steering wheel). AHL were very rare in the UK, so most likely it's either halogen or straight bi-xenon. If you post a pic of the back of the light (and also your light switch, just to confirm) I'll be able to tell you which of those it is. There should also be a part number on the yellow label.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Facelift Coupe Headlights

You have a white indicator, non-titanium headlight. But I can't tell form the outside if it's the halogen, bi-xenon or bi-xenon AKL. AKL (lights which swivel with the steering wheel) were very rare in the UK, so most likely it's either halogen or straight bi-xenon. If you post a pic of the back of the light (and also your light switch, just to confirm) I'll be able to tell you which of those it is. There should also be a part number on the yellow label.
Thanks for replying with the advice. Product code here. There seems to be power going to the xenon unit and it moves when you turn the lights on but the bulb (works in the other side) does power up

k

·
Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
710 Posts
I can't get a match on that part number (not the first time) but the high voltage warning sticker on top tells us they're xenon, so the complete part number from the page I linked would be:

Buying new from BMW, the lights come without bulbs, ignitors and ballasts (used depends on the seller, of course). As the other side works, it'd probably be worth swapping those components over one at a time to see which is faulty. Probably the bulb, so I'd start with that. If the error doesn't follow across, try swapping the ignitor. If that still doesn't work, lastly swap the ballast. To get the light working again, you might just need a replacement whichever one of those it is.

Incidentally, the silver-coloured plastic ring that's fallen off will clip back on if you pull the clear cover off the front of headlight. The pain is you have to bake the headlight in an oven - or use a heat gun on it - to make the butyl sealant pliable enough to do that. Though, judging from the condensation inside the indicator portion, it looks like the housing is no longer air tight and, if you were me, you'd probably want to replace the entire headlight anyway,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome thank you so much for the help on this one! Appreciate it. I swapped over the D/S ballast to check to see if i came on and it doesnt. The ballast powers as the light moves but doesn't turn on. Ill investigate it more but really appreciate it

·
Premium Member
2005, E46 Convertible, 330CI M Sport, Mystic Blue, 76k Miles
262 Posts
The spare I have is for driver side and non xenon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts