BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months back I was having an overheating problem so I replaced pretty much all components of the cooling system, it had been running fine for about 3 months until yesterday driving home from the bank it started overheating again so first thing I did was replace the thermostat again which seems to have fixed it but why would this be happening

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Because the thermostat was crap? Which brand?

It seems that the infant mortality rate of thermostats is pretty high, even the good ones.

Were you low on coolant the second time?

t

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because the thermostat was crap? Which brand?

It seems that the infant mortality rate of thermostats is pretty high, even the good ones.

Were you low on coolant the second time?

t

The thermostat being crap was my thoughts as well, can’t remember brand off the top of my head I’d have to check. And no the coolant wasn’t low the second time.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,139 Posts
The thermostat being crap was my thoughts as well, can't remember brand off the top of my head I'd have to check.
I've had mixed luck with the name brand thermostats: Wahler, Behr, Mahle. Some soft fail opening too low and others leak out the electrical plug. Buy from fcpeuro so you get a free replacement if it fails.

P.S. What's with them all having a silent 'h' in their names???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had mixed luck with the name brand thermostats: Wahler, Behr, Mahle. Some soft fail opening too low and others leak out the electrical plug. Buy from fcpeuro so you get a free replacement if it fails.

Yeah I got one with a lifetime warranty this time

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
The only brand of thermostat you want to buy is Whaler. That’s the brand of thermostat that was in the engine when the car left the factory in either Regensberg, Bavaria (coupes and verts) or Pretoria, South Africa (sedans and touring). Yes, I’m particular (some say peculiar, but that’s not the issue) about what parts go into my bimmers. And, yes, buy it from FCPEuro.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Yah, yah, but der Whaler is often Derfective, and das Behr is less often of the defectiveness. Das Behr was stock in the 2004, der Whaler in the 2001.

Now, del'la HellaBehr es nicht, nicht, nicht!

t
nicht as picky, as long as der function is dere.

·
Registered
495 Posts

because thermostat

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I'd use a Wahler before a Whaler, don't want blubber in my cooling system. I've replaced mine 4 times. Once for PM and 3 times for defects, 1 code, 2 leaks at the electrical connector.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,402 Posts
curious what exactly makes you think it’s the thermostat?

how did you check it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts