BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a new set of front struts for a 2002 325i.Irealized when I dropped the hub that the old struts had two guide pins one above the other that alighn the strut and slide through the notch in the bottom strut clamp. The new struts have a tab welded to the bottom of the strut no pins. The tab does have I guess you you could say like a T at the end. Does this take the place of the pins and just sit on top of the clamp or are these the wrong struts. Different suppliers all list these to fit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scrap that first part# even though the one I'm giving now is the same strut. Manufacturer:Bompa interchangeable part#. 171581,171582.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,373 Posts
This is them?

eBay junk doesn't fit? I'm not at all surprised. I think that this is a case of getting what you pay for.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Yes that was my Son. Didn't realize he posted on this forum. Still haven't gotten a definitive answer.
Read it again. I believe Vorsprung gave you an answer.

·
Registered
652 Posts
This is them?

eBay junk doesn't fit? I'm not at all surprised. I think that this is a case of getting what you pay for.
that's fair.

Sometimes, FleaBay is the best way to go if u have the right part # (like from FCPEuro) and you just want to get it a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is them?

Maybe but all the part stores are selling the same ones and list as fit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok. I finally found a video that shows the clip or metal stop type strut being taken off. It does indeed sit on top of the strut clamp and the tip at the end alighns the strut and keeps it from rotating so they will fit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Go with a known quality brand, like Sachs, Bilstein, Koni, or even KYB and you won't have problems like this.
With the exception of Sachs, yes you will because they all use that tab system instead of the 2 lugs. As far as I know, ZF companies are the only ones using the lugs. We had a feeling that it rested on top however the idiots that we bought the part from sent a bullsh** explanation that was completely false and complicated everything. Thanks for all of your help guys .

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,373 Posts
With the exception of Sachs, yes you will because they all use that tab system instead of the 2 lugs. As far as I know, ZF companies are the only ones using the lugs. We had a feeling that it rested on top however the idiots that we bought the part from sent a bullsh** explanation that was completely false and complicated everything. Thanks for all of your help guys .

OK, sure.

·
Registered
652 Posts

I just changed mine yest with OE Sachs. It was that or Bilstein B4, which also have the little double nipples . Yeah only nipples could sit down in the perch. At the margin they also absorb rotational stress although tightening the perch and friction should do that.

Tab thing sitting high (1.5 in?) hurts the wheel gap and maybe changes the suspension feel?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just changed mine yest with OE Sachs. It was that or Bilstein B4. Yeah only little notches could sit down in the perch. At the margin they also absorb rotational stress although tightening the perch and friction should do that.

Tab thing sitting high (1.5 in?) hurts the wheel gap and maybe changes the suspension feel?
That was my initial thought when I found out it's purpose but I don't think that it will. The bracket on the back side holds it in place and the clamp holds it as well. If it's only purpose is alignment I believe it will work just as well.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,561 Posts

Oh I'll say so, like dramatically changing the corner-weighting of the car. Not to mention the diagonal cross weights.
If however it's fully seated, he's good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts