E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my OEM Hid bi-xenons are reaching their life span and I want to replace them, I just don't want to do the 1000 dollar OEM replacement and I found a pair of 530 dollar Depo bi-xenon HID 8k headlights. It says on the information for the depo headlights that you need to have OEM halogens in order to use these. My question is since I have OEM hid's will I not be able to directly replace my factory ZKW'S with the cheaper depos?

Thanks for any help! Cheers.

·
Registered
'20 M340i
129 Posts
Hey guys, my OEM Hid bi-xenons are reaching their life span and I want to replace them, I just don't want to do the 1000 dollar OEM replacement and I found a pair of 530 dollar Depo bi-xenon HID 8k headlights. It says on the information for the depo headlights that you need to have OEM halogens in order to use these. My question is since I have OEM hid's will I not be able to directly replace my factory ZKW'S with the cheaper depos?

Thanks for any help! Cheers.

Why don't you replace the xenon components if you think it's reaching its life span. More than likely all you need is either the bulbs, ballast or igniter. Wayy cheaper than replacing the whole thing. Then you can get the new headlight covers with the money you saved.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why don't you replace the xenon components if you think it's reaching its life span. More than likely all you need is either the bulbs, ballast or igniter. Wayy cheaper than replacing the whole thing. Then you can get the new headlight covers with the money you saved.
How can I tell which parts of the unit need replacing? For one the bulbs are burning extremely low, and the lens covers are really hazy even after cleaning. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
'20 M340i
129 Posts
How can I tell which parts of the unit need replacing? For one the bulbs are burning extremely low, and the lens covers are really hazy even after cleaning. Thanks for the tip!

Well for one, I would do a search on your symptoms here. When was the last time you replaced your bulbs?

·
Premium Member
28,908 Posts
You are far better off sorting out your OE headlights then going with Depo's.

Some of the HID headlights do not have replacement lens, so you have to sand and polish the headlight lens.

But as mentioned, there may be a problem with the reflector bowls being burned and replacement bulbs will provide better light color and quality as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 2 cents:
I had zkws with burnt bowls. I retrofitted e92 projectors in and was unhappy with it. I then bought bosch components for that retrofit and was not competent enough to pull that one off. I then found bi xenon depos for $350 and popped those in. I'm pleased with them. If I could go back, I'd send the zkws off and have them professionally retrofitted.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
You already said you have ZKW's - you are familiar with the burnt ZKW projector bowl issue right? If not, that is most likely you're problem - not ballasts, bulbs, or any other component. Read up on that in the lighting forum - it's a very well known and documented problem. The plastic bowls burn over time, turning the original reflective silver color to a brownish/orange color, dramatically reducing your light output.

I had ZKW's and did the FX-R retrofit through Lightwerkz. Cost was about $600 or so - this means you remove your lights and ship them to NJ where they do the work, and ship them back to you. If you want to do the work yourself, the projectors are $140. My ZKW's weren't even that bad but the light output is so much better with the FX-R's. You should really consider this as the price is about what your going to spend on those Depo's and the light output/cutoff will be exponentially better than the Depo's.

Lightwerkz -
http://www.lightwerkz.net

Link to the FX-R's (since you already have OEM xenons, you only need projectors and not the 'complete retrofit kit') -
http://shop.lightwerkz.net/Morimoto-FX-R-3.0-Bixenon-Projectors-D2S

For headlight covers***8230;I don't generally recommend non-OEM parts, but I've had good luck with these replacement from Khoalty -
http://www.khoalty.com/headlight-lens-replacement.html

Or, if you go through lightwerkz, they do headlight cover restoration as well.

Edit - if you do a retrofit, I would also recommend getting some new bulbs. Putting new bulbs in your current setup will most likely not help anything as I'm pretty certain your projector bowls are burnt. What the mileage on your car?

·
Registered
752 Posts
How well do the Morimoto FX-R bi-xenons fit in to the ZKW bi-xenon headlight assembly? Take the old one out and screw the FX-R in place, or is cutting and glue involved? Does the headlight assembly retain the auto-leveling feature?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Watch out for some of those cheap replacement headlights online. I purchased a set to replace the factory halogen ones and I had nothing but trouble with them. There was no headlight tilt motor or space to insert the parking lights. So in effect the $350 headlights I bought to allow HID's to be safely fitted, left me with a cluster with faulty bulb warnings and the loss of the tilt function. The wiring harnesses can also be very dodgy too. I had to send my car into the BMW dealership to be repaired from the lights.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All you need are new clear lens shrouds and new projectors with fresh bulbs installed. DO not under any circumstances buy those DEPO lights. I'll come set your car on fire if you do.

Several places actually have kits to fix the ZKW bowl issue. Search YouTube E46 zkw bowl fix.

Actually screw it, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9kqOiTD1S0
I take it that Depo lights are not the utmost quality... thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts