BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to replace both evaporator sensors on e46. One is located behind the radio, above heater matrix..and it is quite good accessable. The other is located next to the driver footwell and it is pain in the ass because it is behind the air vent.
So my question is...is it possible to get that sensor out without removing a whole dash? Any ideas?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes. My car AC doesnt work properly. After a long drive AC starts blowing less air out of vents. Blower works normally..but cold air doesnt come from vents. It is evaporator that is freezing. Common problem of early version of e46. Evaporator sensor doesnt work properly and lets evaporator to freeze. That means less airflow through core.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No cuz my InPA doesnt want to show that info tab. Dunno why. But i was told by master mechanic on BMW that it is usual problem on PFL e46.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My temperature sensor for the evaporator was bad too (confirmed on INPA). I removed the kick panel and was able to bend the vent that covers the sensor out of the way just enough to squeeze my fingers in there and swap it out. It was a tight fit, and I could barely reach the sensor with my fingertips. Not easy, but I did not have to disassemble the dash.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bluebaby thats what i was trying to do and will do. I can reach with fingers. But i dont know how sensor goes out? Do i have to pull it straight out?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Yes. My car AC doesnt work properly. After a long drive AC starts blowing less air out of vents. Blower works normally..but cold air doesnt come from vents. It is evaporator that is freezing. Common problem of early version of e46. Evaporator sensor doesnt work properly and lets evaporator to freeze. That means less airflow through core.
I can tell I had the same issue on my last 320d PFL. Evaporator freezing stuck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes. It is snapped in place. You pull straight out towards the side of the car.
I put the replacement sensor in place and then reconnected the wiring. But it might be easier to connect the wiring first.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok..will try..i think i can do it...i tried but was afraid to break it.
I really dont want to remove dash:)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In the TIS there is written that you only push vent a side and you can reach sensor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts