E46 Fanatics Forum banner

E46 error light question

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  ab1945 
#1 ·
This is my first post. I have had six BMW's over the years and mostly repaired them myself with the help of sites like this. Thanks to everyone as I have learned much from this site over the years. I have an issue that I don't know where to go with.

My 2000 328i has the general "check control" warning light (the big one that looks like a car) on but shows no other warning or error lights. Additionally, when I check the OBD2 (with Actron 9125 reader), there are no error codes shown. When I try to clear the codes (even though none are shown), the light stays on. What can I do? I'm tired of looking at that light.

Of course there is a longer story. The car seems to run fine but has had intermittent SES light. It was showing a lean error code on both cylinder banks. I think this was due to a vacuum leak from a tear in the intake boot. I replaced all the inflow rubber pieces and the crankcase ventilation system tubes/oil separator. This seems to have solved the lean error codes/ SES light but the "check control" light remains. I also get an occasional ABS error light which goes out without intervention.

I appreciate any advise/help anyone can provide.

Joe

See less See more
#3 ·
Maybe a light bulb is blown? What error are you talking about where there's a picture of the car? That's the only one I can think of

#4 ·
My error pic

/Users/jdaveyhome/Desktop/photo[1].JPG

This is the car picture I meant. Note that there are no other error lights - no bulb errors, etc.

That is my confusion: big car error light with no detailed error lights and no error codes from my scanner:bang head:

Joe

Attachments

#5 ·
Im not sure that's possible. My theory is that he's attempting to indicate to you that something is up, yet whatever led that lit that error is more than likely blown. If I'm wrong, then this is the first time I've ever seen that error or heard or anybody speaking about it.

I also believe it's safe to assume that a bulb out error would've been caught by you and your scanner a while ago, so that leaves us with door trunk indicators, or a major can bus issue.

#6 ·
Why dont you try opening your doors and trunk and see if a led lights up for each door, maybe to rule that out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.