E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to BMW and I'd like to ask. What do the engine series i.e.M mean and which engines are the troublesome ones. Also what's the issue with vanos or non vanos engines. Thanks

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
Hi I'm new to BMW and I'd like to ask. What do the engine series i.e.M mean and which engines are the troublesome ones. Also what's the issue with vanos or non vanos engines. Thanks
BMW engines, like any automaker's engines, have a factory designation. In the States, there are two engines used in the E46, the M52 and the M54. Basically, the difference is that the M54 uses a fly-by-wire throttle control. The gas pedal is a potentiometer that feeds a position signal to the computer, which then sends a signal to the throttle body to tell it how far to open. The M52 uses a cable, much like a brake cable on a bicycle, to directly operate the throttle plate as you push the pedal with your foot.

You also have a couple of 4-cylinder motors that are not offered here.

There is no such thing as an E46 with a non-VANOS motor. The last non-VANOS was the M50 used in the '92 model year of the E36, and before.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
BMW engines, like any automaker's engines, have a factory designation. In the States, there are two engines used in the E46, the M52 and the M54. Basically, the difference is that the M54 uses a fly-by-wire throttle control. The gas pedal is a potentiometer that feeds a position signal to the computer, which then sends a signal to the throttle body to tell it how far to open. The M52 uses a cable, much like a brake cable on a bicycle, to directly operate the throttle plate as you push the pedal with your foot.

You also have a couple of 4-cylinder motors that are not offered here.

There is no such thing as an E46 with a non-VANOS motor. The last non-VANOS was the M50 used in the '92 model year of the E36, and before.
you are so nice trying to type this all out. everything is on wikipedia.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
The moon doesn't exist. It's actually a mothership built by lizard-like gods who has been secretly ruling earth for many millennias.
Dinosaurs were their pet, until one day a lizard-god was mauled to death by a t-rex. Then they decided they needed safer pets, thus mammals were born.

·
Registered
817 Posts
The moon doesn't exist. It's actually a mothership built by lizard-like gods who has been secretly ruling earth for many millennias.
Dinosaurs were their pet, until one day a lizard-god was mauled to death by a t-rex. Then they decided they needed safer pets, thus mammals were born....
I've heard it's an antenna...and that it's hollow. Rings like a bell. :eeps:

Oh, and IBTL...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.