BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just throwing one out there in the hope that someone has had similar issues.

I have an 04 plate e46 330d with electric folding mirrors.

The mirrors fold up from the key (holding down the lock button). The passenger mirror also dips down when reversing, although i cant stop this happening as its not always useful - but i know the mirror motors are fine.

The switch to control the mirrors does not work, it wont move the mirror angles on either side, and the button to fold up the mirrors doesnt work either.

However, i've tried a working switch and it made no difference so it's not the switch.

So to summarise, the switch is fine and so are the motors.

Any ideas?... Is their a module somewhere?

Thanks in advance!!

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,550 Posts
well let's start at the easiest. did you check and/or replace the fuse? I forget which number it is in the box, but if it's blows it'll cause what you are experiencing.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mirror dipping in reverse is easy fix. Move your mirror select switch on the door handle to the passenger side, not driver side. Fixed!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Singh try this, had same problem same symptoms. Connections behind the switch can be corroded. I took the switch off... cleaned contacts, pushed plug on and off the switch about 20 times to "scratch something off" and its been working fine ever since. Rain falls on that switch easy if windows left slightly open... thats my theory.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep cheers but i keep the car mint and remember i did try another switch (which was working fine on its car) and that made no difference.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,550 Posts
you said you tried another switch in your car and no change? curious if you tried your switch in his car and showed it was fine??

otherwise with them working on key "remote close" and still the dip feature which shows them getting power. it sounds like a broken wire from switch to me.

as for modules, some years have a module in the door. it's like a black box.
if you have a code reader the mirrors do send codes too. I'm not saying this next thing is your issue, but the autofold button won't work if the car is going over something like 5mph. but I would think this would also be a shut-out for the key remote too. so unlikely the culprit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep i guess i'll strip the door card off on the weekend and have a look. I dont think i have the modules in the door on mine.... So ribbon sounds likely. Would be odd though but will deffo update... Cheers for tips!!

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,550 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts