BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is away driving the 05 e46. He is going up a grade and he here's a sudden grinding. He puts the car in park and the car rolls while it is in Park. He is remote so its hard to troubleshoot. First I thought Center Bearing on the driveshaft, but the car should still go in park, right?
\
Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Center support bearing has nothing to do with it. My best guess - the planetary gear in your son's AT is toast (you said it is grinding - right?), another less expensive possibility is the parking pin has broken off and allows the transmission to spin - metal particles are in transmission and have to be removed. In both cases the transmission has to be removed, cracked open, and rebuilt.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Center support bearing has nothing to do with it. My best guess - the planetary gear in your son's AT is toast (you said it is grinding - right?), another less expensive possibility is the parking pin has broken off and allows the transmission to spin - metal particles are in transmission and have to be removed. In both cases the transmission has to be removed, cracked open, and rebuilt.
If you need a new tranny better change for a used one. Cheaper and faster.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
If you need a new tranny better change for a used one. Cheaper and faster.
+1 Also have less chance of getting ripped off by transmission shop crooks which seems common in that industry. They will charge you thousands and still the tranny will never work correctly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts