E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello E46 gurus!

I come seeking help and advice for my situation as after multiple nights of scouring the interwebs I am still unable to find a resolution to what I am trying to accomplish. Unfortunately most forum links that would have seemed to be helpful resulted in the user never writing back with a solution.

My vehicle is originally a 2001 325Ci 5 speed manual, which I turned in to a drift project. That being said, I welded brackets on to the rear hubs, effectively eliminating the rear wheel speed sensors on both sides (I still have the sensors). Now I am aware that the driver rear wheel speed sensor controls the speedometer readout on the cluster. Since this was disconnected I of course had no speedometer. I completed an S54 swap as of recent but the problem of course would persist (nothing changed except going from M54 to S54 and coding VIN's to all modules perfectly. She rungs amazing!). Coding wise, the DSC module is the only one that oddly won't accept the new M3 VIN. I don't think this is an issue though given that with the old M54 I couldn't figure this out still. With BMW Scanner there is one code in the DSC/ASC module which is "5E1F/E0 - PT-CAN chassis number wrong / ECU not initialized.". Can't get any online resolutions to fix this either and thinking whatever DSC module I have in my 2001 is too old for my 2004 S54/ECU???

Ultimately, I want to be able to get the speedometer working, keeping the setup as is and not going to a bolt on caliper bracket. I will be swapping an M3 rear end in to the car given some time, but looking for the answer to this as I'm sure others are still pondering as well. I've tried splicing the driver rear wheel speed sensor to the driver front wheel speed sensor in hopes of the front wheel speed sensor signal being carried to the back sensors signal as well. No dice.

Primarily learning about the different DSC/ASC system with this PDF, I still can't wrap my head around it. Using my Autel, I do get a MPH reading through the OBDII port which I've also matched up with my Racelogic GPS speed, so I know for certain that the vehicle and DSC module are for sure getting a wheel speed from one or both of the two front wheels but since the cluster relys on the rear sensor, the speed is not transmitted. On the contrary, using OBDfusion doesn't get any speed reading.

There has got to be some sort of wiring trick, coding trick, or something or other that will work in getting the speedometer to function. Any race guys have input on this maybe?

Thank you for any help or information that you all can provide!!

Pic of car with no working speedo:

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
6,729 Posts
I didn't read the entire thing with full understanding.

To my knowledge the left rear speed signal is sent up to the ABS/DSC unit. Goes into the DME (after the DSC?) on one connector, then out another as a CAN signal, to be used by the cluster for speedometer input.

How about swapping pins and using one of the fronts in place of the two pins for the right rear. Fool the DME and maybe you'll have the CAN signal for the cluster.
Naturally this assumes you still have the DSC installed so the above can happen?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The DSC module is still installed yes. Correction from above I’ve confirmed 100% that I get vehicle speed by OBD. Had my settings wrong before on scanner. So definitely is speed being read.

do you know which pins these would be and where? Swapping the pins sounds like a cleaner thing to try than splicing wires/signals.

I didn't read the entire thing with full understanding.

To my knowledge the left rear speed signal is sent up to the ABS/DSC unit. Goes into the DME (after the DSC?) on one connector, then out another as a CAN signal, to be used by the cluster for speedometer input.

How about swapping pins and using one of the fronts in place of the two pins for the right rear. Fool the DME and maybe you'll have the CAN signal for the cluster.
Naturally this assumes you still have the DSC installed so the above can happen?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So my module is on the driver side of the car. Not looking to particularily disconnect all the hydraulic lines if I don't need to, but the connector to the module is certainly reachable itself.

Although I haven't yet looked at it with a flashlight, I intend to this weekend. Without finding the sticker itself I believe mine is MK20 since it is a 2001 originally.

Does anyone have a picture of the DSC module that shows what pin/wire is what (meaning what pin is 1,2,3, etc)? I figure swapping the pins as shown on the WDS for front and rear on the harness plug is the easiest way to see if that theory works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey I am super new to the forum so can't send PMs, but I have a clean stock 323i sedan 5MT and want to go drift build like yours. Hope to learn from you and maybe even get out to do some drifting. I've taken a drifting school at Willow Springs and it just affirmed how excited I am to throw all my money away into a drift build. Sorry to clog up the thread. -Butch

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice to meet you. Drifting sure is fun but be prepared for all the stuff breaking! It's cool to learn on something like a 323 but you'll quickly learn that more power will make your whole drifting experience that much better!

Hey I am super new to the forum so can't send PMs, but I have a clean stock 323i sedan 5MT and want to go drift build like yours. Hope to learn from you and maybe even get out to do some drifting. I've taken a drifting school at Willow Springs and it just affirmed how excited I am to throw all my money away into a drift build. Sorry to clog up the thread. -Butch

1 - 9 of 9 Posts