BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My slow sled: 2000 E46 320D touring, 136 horsepower, 5 speed manual trans, 200,000 km.

In the past two years the car has had lots of new parts installed but right now the issue is a lack of power. It should have 136HP but feels like 46HP.

I replaced the turbo a year ago and the car has been running weak before and since. Recently, last weekend I replaced the Diesel particle filter (DPF) and the CAT with new after market parts.

BEFORE changing those parts I tested the car by driving as hard as I could from 0-100kmh and the result was 30 seconds. In the new car literature this should take 10.x seconds! I replaced the parts and like magic the same stretch of road took me 17 seconds to get to 100kmh. I was so happy. WAS. I drove the family on a 150km trip, all was great the first 80km and then the car felt slow again. I tested the car again and it takes 30 seconds to reach 100kmh :(

I pulled off the new CAT and DPF and looked at them to see if they were clogged, no they look ok. My old ones were VERY clogged so I know how that looks.

I ran a diagnostic and have two fault codes that keep coming up.

M47D20 - 204D1 - DDE 3.0 - 2.0l Fault 65 Charge air pressure control
M47D20 - 204D1 - DDE 3.0 - 2.0l Fault 1B Extra heater

The "Charge air pressure control" has to do with the turbo charge so I think that is where my problem is but I don`t know how to fix it.

Does anyone have some experience with this or ideas?

·
Sofa-king-what
2,019 Posts
My slow sled: 2000 E46 320D touring, 136 horsepower, 5 speed manual trans, 200,000 km.

In the past two years the car has had lots of new parts installed but right now the issue is a lack of power. It should have 136HP but feels like 46HP.

I replaced the turbo a year ago and the car has been running weak before and since. Recently, last weekend I replaced the Diesel particle filter (DPF) and the CAT with new after market parts.

BEFORE changing those parts I tested the car by driving as hard as I could from 0-100kmh and the result was 30 seconds. In the new car literature this should take 10.x seconds! I replaced the parts and like magic the same stretch of road took me 17 seconds to get to 100kmh. I was so happy. WAS. I drove the family on a 150km trip, all was great the first 80km and then the car felt slow again. I tested the car again and it takes 30 seconds to reach 100kmh :(

I pulled off the new CAT and DPF and looked at them to see if they were clogged, no they look ok. My old ones were VERY clogged so I know how that looks.

I ran a diagnostic and have two fault codes that keep coming up.

M47D20 - 204D1 - DDE 3.0 - 2.0l Fault 65 Charge air pressure control
M47D20 - 204D1 - DDE 3.0 - 2.0l Fault 1B Extra heater

The "Charge air pressure control" has to do with the turbo charge so I think that is where my problem is but I don`t know how to fix it.

Does anyone have some experience with this or ideas?
probably an issue related to EGR, check connections and hoses.

136cv is a terrible engine, must use DIS v.47 to diagnose and solve problems.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most of the people here are US based and we didn't get any diesel E46s so there may not be much info here :)

I'm not sure if your codes are exactly the same but you might check this out:

https://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1107832
I`m using a Wurth WOW software to look at my fault codes and it does not produce the kind of codes I see most people post. I don`t know if there is a setting I can change to see other codes but I wish I could.

Regardless if it is a diesel or a gas engine, I would expect that the turbo charge is all the same technology. Is that a bad assumption? Could the same failure have a different name in a gas engine?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
probably an issue related to EGR, check connections and hoses.

136cv is a terrible engine, must use DIS v.47 to diagnose and solve problems.
My EGR is pretty clean inside, no build up or anything. There is a light coat of black oil but thats all, I changed it last year before the turbo change.

What is DIS v.47?

For my codes I`m using Würth WOW! with an old Delphi snooper.

·
Sofa-king-what
2,019 Posts
My EGR is pretty clean inside, no build up or anything. There is a light coat of black oil but thats all, I changed it last year before the turbo change.

What is DIS v.47?

For my codes I`m using Würth WOW! with an old Delphi snooper.

DIS is the an official bmw software for diagnostics and on your case for some specific coding.
Is an ancient technology that actually has been replaced by new softwares

The 2.0d 136cv ( especially the ones with the 20pin port in the engine bay), need a proper diagnosis via that method to perfectly recognize that kind of trouble codes.
Universal tools are ok for all cars but with less “dedicated” readings.

A friend of mine recently had more or less the same problems with the same engine, and only DIS pointed him on the right directions.

If you search DIS also in here you’ll find even more info.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DIS is the an official bmw software for diagnostics and on your case for some specific coding.
Is an ancient technology that actually has been replaced by new softwares

The 2.0d 136cv ( especially the ones with the 20pin port in the engine bay), need a proper diagnosis via that method to perfectly recognize that kind of trouble codes.
Universal tools are ok for all cars but with less “dedicated” readings.

A friend of mine recently had more or less the same problems with the same engine, and only DIS pointed him on the right directions.

If you search DIS also in here you’ll find even more info.
FYI I don`t have the 20 pin. Mine is inside the car by the clutch, 16pin.

Are the "BMW tools" (inpa , nfs) the same as or as good as DIS?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Below are my output fault codes (in German for your reading pleasure ): I don`t know how to get it to print in English.
;)

E R R O R M E M O R Y R E P O R T
-------------------------------------
Date: 03/09/19 12:17:32
ECU: DDE30DS0
JobStatus: OKAY
Variant: DDE30DS0
-------------------------------------------------------------
RESULT: 3 errors in error memory !
101 Lader-Regelung
Error frequency : 50
Motordrehzahl 1527.50 [1/min]
Ladedruck 741.15 [mbar]
Betriebstundenzaehler 26.60 h
Motordrehzahl 1786.00 [1/min]
Ladedruck 850.95 [mbar]
Betriebstundenzaehler 25.70 h
Positive Regelabweichung / Ladedruck zu niedrig
Fehler momentan vorhanden
Errorcode: 65 48 32 41 36 AB C2 4C 3E AB CB 93 86 1C 41 C9
00 24 01 00 76 D7 48 03 4A 00 22 49 A1 00 76 D7
47 00 34 32 33 32 34 00 30 21 00 00 00 31 C5 00
00 7C
27 Kuehlmittelheizung
Error frequency : 60
Motordrehzahl 0.00 [1/min]
Batteriespannung 12.38 [V]
Betriebstundenzaehler 26.10 h
Motordrehzahl 822.50 [1/min]
Batteriespannung 14.08 [V]
Betriebstundenzaehler 25.60 h
Ansteuerung Unterbrechung oder KS nach BFehler
momentan vorhanden
Errorcode: 1B 44 3C 00 7C AB C7 23 8D AB CC 93 86 1C 41 C9
00 7C
8 Gluehanlage
Error frequency : 55
Motordrehzahl 1363.00 [1/min]
Kuehlmitteltemperatur 26.00 [Grad C]
Betriebstundenzaehler 26.10 h
Motordrehzahl 26.10 [1/min]
Kuehlmitteltemperatur 8.00 [Grad C]
Betriebstundenzaehler 25.70 h
Gluehkerzen bzw. Gluehrelais defekt
Fehler momentan vorhanden
Errorcode: 08 48 37 3A 42 AB C7 00 30 AB CB 93 86 1C 41 C9
00 7C
=============================================================

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great frustration is just rising with this car :(

I have gone through all the vacuum tubes again and replaced one bad one. I also switched a few vacuum components namely the Turbo and EGR Boost Solenoid Valves (Pressure Converter Sensors).

Now the software does NOT report the "charge air pressure control" fault code. That is good news but I still have the same terrible driving performance. Under 3000 rpms the motor is sluggish. I can hear the turbo rev up and it has that nice high pitched whine as it spins at high rpms.

Right now the only fault code I`m getting is for the Fault 1B Extra heater. This cannot be an influence here, right??!!?

I don`t think it matters so much that this car has a diesel instead of gasoline engine with respect to the turbo. The turbo circuit does not know that the exhaust is from a diesel and should follow the same principles. I think any trouble I`m having could be the same for a gas engine with turbo.

Can I get some other ideas that can be my problem or how to test things to identify what is not the problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't think a year 2000 320d had a diesel particulate filter (dpf)?
it was added so that it was legal to drive into all big cities (back in 2008). Now they changed the law again and as of this year it is not allowed into many big cities. Don`t get me started on that rant, though:ben:.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right now the car is pulling like hell once I exceed 2800-3000 rpm but anything less it is dragging. If I try to climb a hill and am at 2000 rpm I need to down shift as the car never speeds up.

I am getting the fault code 65 Charge air pressure control again. I've been testing the vacuum hoses for leaks and not finding any bad hoses.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I`m still looking for a solution.

Symtoms:
cold engine: super low power and some light smoke ( I do not rev up the motor too much when it is cold)
Warm engine: no visible smoke, engine has low power at low rpm, under 3000rpm. Above 3000 rpm the engine feels more powerful than I have ever experienced it in the ten years i`ve owned this car. If I drive the car as hard as possible keeping the motor revving above 2500 between gear changes the car runs fast and strong. Leaving a stop at less than 2000rpm or climbing a hill I feel like I´m towing a loaded semi truck.

I would say in the last two years the car has been running very weak and I have not done much to hunt down the problem. It got me going and that was enough even though I knew it was feeling very weak.

As a test, can the EGR circuit be somehow isolated and not an influence on the motor? how? can I just plug the vacuum line to the EGR and that is enough to know it is out? I can just do that but is the computer compensating somehow? I don`t know how the computer is defeating my efforts in finding a defective part or something like that.

Help me brainstorm this problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Solution to low power problem and turbo boost issues.

I found solutions to my engine problems and would like to post where you can find a complete detailed description of what happened to me and what I did to get my car fixed.

I would think that my low power problems would be relevant to a turbo gas engine or a turbo diesel engine. Both engines have the same vacuum systems, solenoids, sensors and controllers. The same things I fixed would also have to work properly on a turbo gas engine.

Here you go, go fix your car:

This thread has the solution and it starts at the end of the first page: https://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f18/e46-320d-boost-loss-t565237/
On this site I also have related information to this problem how to deal with a diesel runaway: https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1250723

Please come back a post a message here if this solution helped you.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The big three for Turbo Diesel Lack of Power Issues:

1. Vacuum system issues: Vacuum hose / system leaks, vacuum controlled valve issues, Vacuum pump issues, vacuum controller / converter issues
2. Post turbo / Boost hose seal leaks: Intake system leaks after the turbo
3. MAF / MAP / Exhaust pressure sensor issues: Including leaks in the pre-turbo exhaust manifold, as well as clogged exhaust pressure sensor hose that will impact accurate exhaust pressure sensor measurement.

Charge air pressure code would indicate any of the 3 things listed above... Without live data for proper diagnosis, you'll be throwing more parts at the issue...

Based on what you've described, if I had to pick one to go after blindly, I'd guess intake boost hose seal leaks / intercooler leaks if I were a betting man; however, I don't gamble for a reason, because I prefer certainty w/ data to back it up... Considering you've been driving the car for years with obvious issues, w/ apparently no action on your part to resolve them prior to recent activity, I'd place a MUCH larger bet that you've got multiple issues, to varying degrees, from the above list of common causes for why turbo diesels lack power...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts