BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 330ci has only 79k miles, but the weatherstripping around the rear windows has aged poorly - this is typical. I have replaced the lower weather stripping at the base of the window, but the weatherstripping that folds underneath the chrome trim is highly degraded and unsightly. I know this has been discussed in an old thread from years ago (see link at bottom of this post), but the parts no longer appear to be available except at truly extravagant prices.

Apparently this rubber weatherstripping is only sold as a part of the chrome side face trim. Today ECS wants $1259 FOR EACH SIDE. Not gonna happen.
The picture below is not my car, but it illustrates exactly what I'm trying to solve for.

Surely there must be a better solution. Any feedback is appreciated. Best, Tex

GARAGE: Silbergrau 2003 e46 330ci

Here's a link to a similar discussion from a decade ago.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 2003 330ci has only 79k miles, but the weatherstripping around the rear windows has aged poorly - this is typical. I have replaced the lower weather stripping at the base of the window, but the weatherstripping that folds underneath the chrome trim is highly degraded and unsightly. I know this has been discussed in an old thread from years ago (see link at bottom of this post), but the parts no longer appear to be available except at truly extravagant prices.

Apparently this rubber weatherstripping is only sold as a part of the chrome side face trim. Today ECS wants $1259 FOR EACH SIDE. Not gonna happen.
The picture below is not my car, but it illustrates exactly what I'm trying to solve for.

View attachment 907501

Surely there must be a better solution. Any feedback is appreciated. Best, Tex

GARAGE: Silbergrau 2003 e46 330ci

Here's a link to a similar discussion from a decade ago.
Sculpt it with windscreen glue
I don't know what that is, but I'll look it up. I think I saw another guy cut some rubber out of a bicycle inner tube or tire and glued it in as well. Guess there aren't a lot of options out there. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
357 Posts
I don't know what that is, but I'll look it up. I think I saw another guy cut some rubber out of a bicycle inner tube or tire and glued it in as well. Guess there aren't a lot of options out there. Thanks for the feedback!
Yeah I have the same problem and ill have to do this repair too

·
Registered
2006 325Ci M56 5MT
972 Posts
here is a DIY i found from a thread i found last week. Bookmarked it since i'll tackle this eventually

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a great DIY video if you can find the right product, but that looks exactly what I need to do. Thanks for sharing.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,478 Posts
yeah I did that DIY off the old M3F forum a couple years ago. the new link is based off that. takes a little time but comes out good.

if doing the top rail Hofmeister kink rubber replacement. it’s a good time to replace the bottom trim while in there.

·
Registered
2004 325ci
231 Posts
here is a DIY i found from a thread i found last week. Bookmarked it since i'll tackle this eventually
I have been looking for that DIY for the last month, I thought it was lost forever when M3F went down! This will be my next quarantine project now.

·
Registered
328Ci
140 Posts
I watched them at 700EUR for years (for pre 2000 cars), then they dropped to 500EUR for a few months last year (I bought them then), and now they are 800EUR. Also for some reason up to December 1999 pieces have a different part number, and I don't know if newer ones can be retrofitted to 98/99 cars.

I'm guessing they have some kind of autonomous warehousing software that adjusts price based on availability.

·
Registered
2003 330Ci M54
43 Posts
That's a great DIY video if you can find the right product, but that looks exactly what I need to do. Thanks for sharing.
I just did this a couple of months ago and it was a pretty easy fix after watching that video. The 3M weatherstripping is no longer made so I used Metro MW78348 and it worked perfectly (it's the same size as the 3M 08650). The weatherstripping will be curved when you remove it from the package so put some other items on top of it the night before to help straighten the weatherstripping out (I ran some electrical wire fish rods through it and that worked really well).

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
357 Posts

·
Registered
2003 330Ci M54
43 Posts
will something like this work?
Maybe? I suggest using the Metro though - it is the same as the 3M and every thread/DIY I have seen has said to use one of those two products as they are known to work. Here are some pictures of mine. First one is at the kink with the window closed, second shows the kink area with the window open, and third is looking up towards the underside of the trim above the rear window. I have driven in a heavy downpour and washed the car and have not had any leaks.

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
357 Posts
Maybe? I suggest using the Metro though - it is the same as the 3M and every thread/DIY I have seen has said to use one of those two products as they are known to work. Here are some pictures of mine. First one is at the kink with the window closed, second shows the kink area with the window open, and third is looking up towards the underside of the trim above the rear window. I have driven in a heavy downpour and washed the car and have not had any leaks.

View attachment 907553
View attachment 907554 View attachment 907555
Yeah you won't have leaks either way cause this, is, not for sealing the window, there is an internal gasket for that

Im asking cause I can't get the metro or the discontinued 3M cause I am in Greece. So the profile of these strippings is a D right?

·
Registered
2003 330Ci M54
43 Posts
That's right, here are some links to photos of it showing the profile.
https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/xlarge/mmp-mw78348_xl.jpg?rep=True
https://www.metrommp.com/productimages/640/LP78348.jpg
NEW ROLL OF 3M 08650 EPDM HOLLOW RUBBER WEATHERSTRIP 7/8" THICK x 3/4" WIDE x 8' | eBay

The pictures on the last link show the dimensions so hopefully you can find something similar to this in Greece. Also, the 8 ft (2.4 meters) is enough for both sides of the car - you will have some leftover.

·
Registered
92 Posts

View attachment 907553
View attachment 907554 View attachment 907555
Will this fit the weather strip at the bottom of the rear window as well? That's where mine is worst and I'm really interested in trying this!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 330Ci M54
43 Posts
The bottom piece is a separate part number and the only way I know of that being replaced is by using BMW parts. I believe it is just held on by double sided tape so it is much easier to replace than the upper trim. There are three versions of it, matte black, gloss black and chrome, and the left and right sides are different. Look at part #8 on RealOEM. The matte version is pretty inexpensive (at least in the US) but the gloss and chrome versions are significantly more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts