E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2001 325i Sedan just recently started overheating, pulled over and I saw the coolant leaking so fast, I assume it might be a pump or the tank, but If y鈥檃ll can help me out and help a young one that鈥檒l be great 馃槩

btw the leak was by the driver鈥檚 side.

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Registered
Only you can pinpoint the leak. All we can do on here is speculate.

1. Grab a flashlight
2. Hose off coolant in engine bay
3. Add some water/coolant to the system
4. Start the car and watch for the coolant to leak
5. Monitor the temp gauge incessantly while doing this
6. Replace the leaking part(s)

Also, the fact your car got as hot as shown in the pic above, you may have cooked the motor. Neglect causes failures. I'd be concerned with the car getting that hot, you may have screwed the head gasket and/or warped the head.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Registered
3. Add some water/coolant to the system
I bet the ruptured tank.
Engine was overheated with red light ON? Cross you fingers, OP, as if the head is cracked then you have major damage.

OP, open the tank cap, with engine cold, fill the tank with tap water and see where it is leaking -- this is the easy one.

Registered
My neighbor overheated an E39 like that and he cracked the head gasket. Cost him 750 Euro to repair.
I did get quite a small leak last week. Replaced almost everything where antifreeze flows. Costed me 250 Euro to repair. I did it myself and a friend helped me.

Premium Member
2002 330 Ci
Holy crap man. Just the visual fact that you are running the engine at over 1k rpm with the needle buried into the red zone tells me that you 99 percent cooked that motor.

Sorry kid. Looks like you're going to learn about car stuff in the most unpleasant way. After it's been hard broke.

Stay on here and you can get lots of help figuring that out.

As already mentioned you have a failure in your cooling system. You'll need to do what Sapote and 325ciLover mentioned.

More than likely you should do an entire cooling system refresh no matter what popped. But, before doing that your going to need to determine if you blew the head gasket.

Do a search on here for how to do that.

Registered
Holy crap man. Just the visual fact that you are running the engine at over 1k rpm with the needle buried into the red zone tells me that you 99 percent cooked that motor.

Sorry kid. Looks like you're going to learn about car stuff in the most unpleasant way. After it's been hard broke.

Stay on here and you can get lots of help figuring that out.

As already mentioned you have a failure in your cooling system. You'll need to do what Sapote and 325ciLover mentioned.

More than likely you should do an entire cooling system refresh no matter what popped. But, before doing that your going to need to determine if you blew the head gasket.

Do a search on here for how to do that.
Seriously man, when I see that pic of the needle buried in the red, it gives me that "FML" feeling and it's not even my car!

Heads and gaskets are sensitive beasts. I had one go in my wife's ravioli back in 2017 and the car didn't even overheat. Just a sudden, no explainable loss of the head gasket. Cost me $2000, but I just decided to put a whole new motor in as the old motor was approaching 200,000 miles. It also let me completely rebuild the front end from hoses to pumps.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Registered
BMW 320i 2002 e46 5spd manual RHD
Best is to fix the leak, then do both a leak down test, and a compression test, i would advise a (exaust gas in coolent test) aswell...check Chris Fix on youtube or just youtube in general on how to do those....also best to replace all the coolent bits if those test all come back as good, but do those tests first (after fixeing the leak) before wasting money on coolent bits, just to find a cooked motor.

Good luck, and sorry for your potential loss

Registered
2001 325ci

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys.

Back with an update, I appreciate everyone鈥檚 help and concern. I am aware that the overheating could鈥檝e been crucial to the motor. The car does start and the motor seems to be fine. No loud knocks or anything. Also, no overheating once started.

Next steps for me are to buy a head gasket test to check for any blown head gaskets.

But I have found the problem of where it鈥檚 leaking. As you can see in the pictures. It seems that piece might have cracked or it looks like it鈥檚 just not in right. If y鈥檃ll can give me any tips of what that might be, that鈥檒l help so much.

I was planning to just buy a whole new coolant refresh kit, but it looks like the problem might not be that severe.

thanks again!

Wheel Tire Car Sky Automotive parking light
Automotive tire Wood Tints and shades Gas Rectangle

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Flash photography Hood Tire

Registered
But I have found the problem of where it鈥檚 leaking. As you can see in the pictures. It seems that piece might have cracked or it looks like it鈥檚 just not in right. If y鈥檃ll can give me any tips of what that might be, that鈥檒l help so much.
Point an arrow to where you think the crack or what not looks right. Bad pics.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Point an arrow to where you think the crack or what not looks right. Bad pics.
yeah sorry, it was originally a video, so i just took screenshots.

i just uploaded the video on youtube, so hopefully its clear.

Registered
i just uploaded the video on youtube, so hopefully its clear.
Q: it initially didn't leak, and then suddenly had large leak; was the engine running to cause the leak or what did you do the moment it gushing out?

to do: remove the cooler off the plastic bracket, then check the cooler O-rings on the ports and the condition of the plastic female ports for cracking/breaking.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Q: it initially didn't leak, and then suddenly had large leak; was the engine running to cause the leak or what did you do the moment it gushing out?

to do: remove the cooler off the plastic bracket, then check the cooler O-rings on the ports and the condition of the plastic female ports for cracking/breaking.
ahh yes, so the leak starts when the radiator cap is off, so in the video, cap was on, took it off, then it starts leaking.

Registered
ahh yes, so the leak starts when the radiator cap is off, so in the video, cap was on, took it off, then it starts leaking.
OK, the cooler port has a big leak. Remove and look. Cooler got hit with an object while driving, and it cracked the plastic port I think.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts