E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This thread is a detailed and long story of me and my e46. It will go over all of my mishaps, mysteries, and adventures. So to give you some back story I will start from the beginning. It all starts early in the summer of 2014, when I get tired of the vehicle I had at the time. It was a maroon 3rd gen Ram, 5.7l Hemi 4 door 2wd (auto). I guess I got tired of the one wheel peels and the endless droning of the strait pipes. But I decided it had to go, so I put it up on craigcraigslist.

Upon putting the Ram on Craigslist I immediately started looking at other cars and upon a trip to Nashville for a doctors appointment I hit craigslist and found a 2000 or 2001 323i 5 speed at a small dealership and went there to look at it. We took it for a short test drive and it wasn't too bad, I asked them what they would give me for my truck and they told me I should just sell it on my own to get a better deal. After a few more trips to look at other car dealers, I took the advice and promised myself that i would go and buy that car when i sold my truck.

After a few weeks I got a good offer (for once). A guy texted me an offer of am 06 Saturn ion and 4k cash. After hitting up KBB, I decided to meet him the next day as I was already going to meet someone that offered an 03 e46 4dr (which had 180k+ miles). Me and my friend met him first that day in the parking lot of dicks and we proceeded to test drive each others cars. Immediately he was love struck by my truck as it had that effect on people. I told him it needed a tuneup and he gave me the title and 3850 in cash (150 less for tuneup). I left in a Saturn with a frown on my face.

I already missed the truck and then I looked at the cash and immediately turned that frown upside down. Now if you remember the car I looked at in nashville, I held true to my promise, sorta. So we got in the Saturn after putting some gas in it at a cheap gas station down the road from dicks. We hit the highway and and inevitably passed the dealership, we turned around and drove in. I asked them for another test drive to reassure myself and it all worked until we started talking numbers, that's when all that bmw magic wore off when 3000 turned into 3600.

I was beginning to hate this concept called "taxes", as I was pulling out my money and counting it, and then I had an epiphany. I pulled out my phone as if I was Clint Eastwood pulling out his trusty revolver. I opened up craigslist and I started searching for a last resort, and I found it. It as an ad for a 2000 bmw coupe and as I always wanted a coupe I told the lady at the desk waiting for an answer that I couldn't do it, I had to go look at another car and I would call her if I changed my mind, needless to say she never got a call.

Me and my friend went down the road to a Wendy's to have lunch and to recalibrate our plans. While eating lunch I called the number on the listing up and asked what was wrong with the car and if he still had it even, he said yes and it needed a thermostat. I told him I'd be there in an hour with cash. I left Wendy's and headed for the guys house. In my enthusiasm I stopped at an Auto Zone in Nashville to buy the thermostat. They didn't have one, but another one did that was a few minutes down the road. The guy behind the counter called them up and told them to hold the part. I bought it at that store and he gave me the receipt to pick it up at the other store. So we get back into the car and drove to the other store.

We blared some retarded music in an attempt to test out the Saturns sound system on the way there. We pull up and go in to get our part. They already had it pulled out so we showed him the receipt and he gave us the part. We then get back into the car and started heading toward our destination. Getting there was the easy part, finding the car was the hard part, as the road is your average housing development and to my luck the car was'nt in plan sight. We ask a neibor and then don't know which house it is either, so we go through the process of elimination to try to find out which house it is. We cross our fingers, park the car, and walk to the door of this house. I knocked, and after a few seconds a guy comes to the door and asked if he could help me. I proceeded by asking if he is selling the bmw and he replies yes, he then says to meet us around the back to look at the car.

The car looks like it has been sadly under appreciated. It is in moderately tall grass and has not been washed in a great while, but luckily I see the beauty in it and am starting to catch it's charm. He hands me the keys and I I get in it and turn it over. It runs a little ruff but it seemed to be ok. I put it in first gear and got a little feel for the clutch, then drove it 15 or 20 feet forward, I then put it in reverse and parked it back. Turned it off and got out. It seems to run ok but I know it needs some work. I proceed to talk to him and my friend about the car when three kids come walking around the guys house to see about the car also, it seemed they where there before that day. So then the guy asked said "2000 right now" and I said... TO BE CONTINUED!

This is roughly 5 months ago from today. I will post part 2 of this story this Saturday, once I complete the story of how I got to this point I will continue to give all updates of what I've done to the car, what I do in/with the car and anything else relating to me and my car. I hope you guys like it and please tell me what you think of it. Thanks for reading?

·
Registered
2006 325Ci M56 5MT
1,008 Posts
holy text size

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Lame

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Delete and send the OP crayons and a coloring book.

·
Para-Magic
554 Posts
Aside from composition errors, I was interested. These cars are really hitting rock bottom value wise when one goes for 2k. Just for comparison, I bought my 2000 coupe for $36,000 lol.. The good thing is if its restored and maintained properly it will still drive like a $36k car.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Aside from composition errors, I was interested. These cars are really hitting rock bottom value wise when one goes for 2k. Just for comparison, I bought my 2000 coupe for $36,000 lol.. The good thing is if its restored and maintained properly it will still drive like a $36k car.
Thank you. And sorry about punctuation errors, had to get ready for work and didn't take the time the post needed. I also type rather fast and sometimes auto correct can't keep up lol. But some are genuinely my fault.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Ummm you've left me wanting to finish the story - .. Please finish soon !

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
OP, I too had an interesting hunt when searching for my car, I am curious to how yours pans out. :)

Not sure why so many people are on your case for posting.

holy text size
Do you even computer bro? Try pressing [ctrl] + [-] until desired.

signed,
every web browser ever.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
this thread is a detailed and long story of me and my e46. It will go over all of my mishaps, mysteries, and adventures. So to give you some back story i will start from the beginning. It all starts early in the summer of 2014, when i get tired of the vehicle i had at the time. It was a maroon 3rd gen ram, 5.7l hemi 4 door 2wd (auto). I guess i got tired of the one wheel peels and the endless droning of the strait pipes. But i decided it had to go, so i put it up on craigcraigslist.

Upon putting the ram on craigslist i immediately started looking at other cars and upon a trip to nashville for a doctors appointment i hit craigslist and found a 2000 or 2001 323i 5 speed at a small dealership and went there to look at it. We took it for a short test drive and it wasn't too bad, i asked them what they would give me for my truck and they told me i should just sell it on my own to get a better deal. After a few more trips to look at other car dealers, i took the advice and promised myself that i would go and nuy that car when i sold my truck.

After a few weeks i got a good offer (for once). A guy texted me an offer of am 06 saturn ion and 4k cash. After hitting up kbb, i decided to meet him the next day as i was already going to meet someone that offered an 03 e46 4dr (which had 180k+ miles). Me and my friend meet him first that day in the parking lot of ducks and we proceeded to test drive each others cars. Immediately he was love struck by my truck as it had that effect on people. I told him it needed a tuneup and he gave me the title and 3850 in cash (150 less for tuneup). We left in a saturn with a frown on my face.

I already missed the truck and then i looked at the cash and immediately turned that frown upside down. Now if you remember the car i looked at in nashville, i held true to my promise, sorta. So we got in the saturn after putting some gas in it at a cheap gas station down the road from dicks. We hit the highway and passed the dealership, turned around and drove in. I asked for another test drive to reassure myself and it all worked until we started talking numbers, that's when all that bmw magic wore off.

When 3000 turned into 3600. I was beginning to hate this concept called "taxes". I was pulling out my money and counting it, and then i had an epiphany. I pulled out my phone as if i was clint eastwood pulling out his trusty revolver. I opened up craigslist and i started searching for a last resort, and i found it. It as an ad for a 2000 bmw coupe and as i always wanted a coupe i told the lady at the desk waiting for an answer that i couldn't do it, i had to go look at another car and i would call her if i changed my mind, needless to say she never got a call.

Me and my friend went down the road to a wendy's to have lunch and to recalibrate our plans. While eating lunch i called the number on the listing up and asked what was wrong with the car and if he still had it even, he said yes and it needed a thermostat. I told him i'd be there in an hour with cash. I left wendy's and headed for the guys house. In my enthusiasm i stopped at an auto zone in nashville to buy the thermostat. They didn't have one, but another one did that was a few minutes down the road. The guy behind the counter called them up and told them to hold the part. I bought it at that store and he gave me the receipt to pick it up at the other store. So we get back into the car an head to the other store.

We blare some retarded music int an attempt to test out the saturns sound system on the way there. We pull up and go in to get our part. They already had it pulled out and we showed him the receipt and he gave us the part. We then get back into the car and head toward our destination. Getting there was the easy part finding the car was the fard part, as the road is the average housing development and to my luck the car is not in plain sight. We ask a neibor and then don't know which house it is, so we go through the process of elimination to try to find out which house it is. We take cross our fingers and park the car and walk to the door of this house. I knocked and after a few seconds a guy comes to the door and asked if he could help me. I proceeded by asking if he is selling the bmw and he replies yes, he then says to meet us around the back to look at the car. The car looks like it has been sadly under appreciated. It is in moderately tall grass and has not been washed in a great while, but luckily i see the beauty in it and am starting to catch it's charm. He hand me the keys and i i get in it and turn it over. It runs a little ruff but it seemed to be ok. I put it in first and got a little feel for the clutch and drove it 15 or 20 feet forward, i then put it in reverse and parked it back. Turned it off and got out. It seems to run ok but i know it needs some work. I proceed to talk to him and my friend about the car when three kids come walking around the guys house to see about the car also, it seemed they where there before that day. So then the guy asked said "2000 right now" and i said... To be continued

this is roughly 5 months ago from today. I will post part 2 of this story this saturday, once i complete the story of how i got to this point i will continue to give all updates of what i've done to the car, what i do in/with the car and anything else relating to me and my car. I hope you guys like it and please tell me what you think of it. Thanks for reading?
ftfy

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you guys for the comments good and bad, I thought I'd try something new with this thread. If you liked the story I'm going to post the 2nd part later to day or tomorrow. If you didn't like it that's fine too, just wanted to do something other than ask for help or give a write up on something I most likely don't understand. Regardless thanks for the replies.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts