BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

161 - 180 of 210 Posts

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
3,709 Posts
Hello, i bought a 2003 325i, and about a week in I attempted to replace the alternator, but my genius friend did not disconnect the battery as we lifted the old unit out, and I ended up seeing sparks fly, now with the new or old alternator, the car does not get charged. I have checked all of the grounds that would be related to the issue, but none seem bad and I don't think the short would effect a ground. I need to know if the starter links the alternator to the battery, or a fuse or relay, because whatever it is, I fried it for sure. Car will run only when jumped, and dies instantly once the starter cables are removed. I cannot seem to figure this one out with out help so I am going to need some recommendations from you guys. I know it is not the battery for sure, and I know it is not the alternator its self for sure because I swapped it back with the working one. Thanks for any help.
:facepalm:
Pull the panel from behind the battery and see if you have blown the main 250A fuse.

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
3,709 Posts
I checked tonight, same thing happened with the 250A removed
:drool:
I'm confused. You don't remove the fuse. Is the fuse still good? Check continuity from one side to the other.

·
Registered
54 Posts
So I have been seeing 330 E46 with m badges but no orange needles in instrument cluster and 6800 rpm or 6spd Manual trans with no m badge? What gives? Fake zhps?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
54 Posts
So I have been seeing 330 E46 with m badges but no orange needles in instrument cluster and 6800 rpm or 6spd Manual trans with no m badge? What gives? Fake zhps?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
ZHPs do use "M" items in their cars. The best thing to do is plug the VIN into a website and see what the car was packaged with when it left the factory.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I sold my only e46 (325xi) yeas ago and I’m now looking into another... 2003 330i 6mt with 205k on the clock l. The man is asking 3500 obo any helpful tips that I may have missed while reading through this forum. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I sold my only e46 (325xi) yeas ago and I’m now looking into another... 2003 330i 6mt with 205k on the clock l. The man is asking 3500 obo any helpful tips that I may have missed while reading through this forum. Thanks

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I would do the PPI for sure. Have the subframe checked.
PPI for sure.
My car has 229,XXX. At that mileage there are a large number of items that have needed to be changed out over the years. Every one of Mango's top ten list except for the starter, plus too many more to list, have been replaced on mine.
Time to start over again on many of the items.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
^ and it has my favorite kind of "automatic" transmission... it irritates me when people mislist things (but not as much as actual automatics irritate me)! Did you buy it PMFJ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for this outstanding guide! Buying my first BMW today, thanks to this information, I'll be inspecting those rear sub-frame mounts before I hand over the $$. This forum may have saved me a big hassle. I am grateful! Keep you posted.

I really hope it checks out. IT's a sweet little 330ci with MV1 18" staggered wheels, lowered ride height... might be a ZHP car! I'll be checking the RPM guage for altered redline AFTER I check those mounts. Only downside is that it's a SULEV. I've been doing my homework.

Thanks guys!

161 - 180 of 210 Posts