BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank heaven I found this forum!!

recently bought a new 318 SE E46, love the car, love the drive! but now starting to feel I need something better to listen to my extensive music collection on! I have a BMW Business with 6 cd changer.

I am told by BMW that they cant upgrade to HK 10 speaker system for some reason. I have seen a great Alpine 7893 head unit and was thinking of installing this and also changing speakers and adding a sub. A local car audio store suggested that I can have my business system modified to have pre-outs.

I am in a bit of a quandry as I am not sure whether to alter the look of the dash by installing a superior system or modifying current system (if possible) or just making do with what i've got!!

Anyone out there had similar decision to make or any advice would be helpful, how bad/different does the dash look?

Thanks

Clarityman

·
hammer talks like this
4,292 Posts
if your really into your music i would go for the aftermarket radio... you'll enjoy your drive a lot more... you can keep the stock radio and just add a amp and new speakers. only draw back is you wont get the clean powerful out puts that a aftermarket deck would provide.

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
2,067 Posts
keep the stock deck and get a line driver...some stock units are phenomenal;)

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
2,067 Posts
audiocontrol has some as well...

·
hammer talks like this
4,292 Posts
its give the rca wires(going to the amps) more power most after market decks have 4-6 volt rca outputs. when you use line out converters(keeping the stock deck) they are only maybe 1-2 volts... with the use of line drivers you get more power(like a after market radio) but keeping the stock radio.

·
Registered
409 Posts
thanks robot. ok, so if i've got my ven4 to split from the HU to the 2 amps and a line driver, i should be good to go...?

·
hammer talks like this
4,292 Posts
Tex323i said:
btw - can i use the line driver in series, BEFORE the ven4, so i only need 1?
thats a good question. never tested that though. ill ask my installer later tonight.

·
Registered
409 Posts
excellent, thanks. from what i'm understanding, i can intercept eveything in the trunk and i don't even have to mess with the head unit, if i'm keeping it in there. (i know your opinion on that - put in my aftermarket, but i'd like to keep the dash intact, having to sacrifice sound).

so, you're saying that in a normal situation, if my plan is to hook up an amp for the front 4 channels and an amp for the back sub, i would go:

HU -> ven4 ->line driver ->amp ->front 4 channels
->line driver ->amp -.sub channel

..?

·
hammer talks like this
4,292 Posts
Tex323i said:

so, you're saying that in a normal situation, if my plan is to hook up an amp for the front 4 channels and an amp for the back sub, i would go:

HU -> ven4 ->line driver ->amp ->front 4 channels
->line driver ->amp -.sub channel

..?
if you wanted to catch the signal from the trunk(bypassing amp) ven4 ->line driver ->amp ->front 4 speakers. same way for sub.

·
Registered
409 Posts
yeah, i'll want to bypass the fact amp..it's a peice! this would be good news, since i would rather not open up the dash, as easy as it may be. hate to ask this, but will i need a ven4 for the front 4 and a ven2/4 for the sub channel as well??

going to talk to your friend mike at the tweeter on i-10 tomorrow...see if he'll just do all this 4 me. you think he'll do it alone or does he have to do it through tweeter...better yet, what about you?

·
hammer talks like this
4,292 Posts
youll need another line out converter for the sub channel. hes the guy I was gonna talk about the order of the line driver and ven 4, but he inst online yet. He used to do side jobs back then. he used to hook up a lot of the VW's in the DUBSPEED racing club... cool thing is one of the guys from the club is married to the daughter of the general manager of Momentum paint and body!! got to meet him and his wife when me and mike would skip work and go to the VW and audi texas meets...

·
Registered
409 Posts
no way! not a bad guy to know...you never know when you might meet up with him again. that's pretty damn cool...

ok, sorry to keep buggin you, but i can just use a ven2 for the sub, right? no need to get fancy and use 2 ven4's when my goal is a 5 channel system..

as for the ven4 ->line driver question...i await impatiently. and will you let him know to expect a visitor tomorrow from your recc? that would be MUCH appreciated..

·
Registered
409 Posts
ok, it's as good as done.

it'll be:

HU ->line driver->ven4->4 channel amp-> speakers
->line driver ->SNI 15 -> single channel amp -> sub

Other than grounding and correctly hooking up the new amps to the battery, i'm golden.....? Only question is, can we use 1 line driver for this, or must we use it in parrallel through the syste. that's a puzzle for mike...

aiight. late. woman is calling me to bed..
bux

ps - i'll tell mike that tim sent me, cool?

·
hammer talks like this
4,292 Posts
cool with me. soon ima post for sale a lot of wires and connectors that a person in your shoes is gonna need for the install.

·
Registered
409 Posts
well, shiiiiiiit, tell me what you got, what i'm gonna need, what you're gonna sell me...let's make it easy! i already know i need the ven4 and the lesser sni-15. you don't hae either of those, do you?

·
hammer talks like this
4,292 Posts
i dont. i can probably get them from my old shop for cheap though. last time i went in there the manager now gave me $130 worht of wires etc for free... crazy guy.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts