E46 Fanatics Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yup, as far as I know I had the phone set right.....that's why I keep trying, thinking maybe I'm doing something wrong. Maybe I'll go try it again.....:banghead:

I was also thinking that possibly it's the phone. It actually is my phone from work, just got it recently but that is no guarantee that it's the latest model but I would think if it has Bluetooth it should work.

Maybe I can find someone else and try their phone.

Thanks....Barry

EDIT: does it matter if I have my radio on or off when I start the car? Tried it both ways though already.
EDITEDIT: I tried a couple of other different phones yesterday and still no luck with getting a phone to see the car. Anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot this issue? A video I found at BMW's site (newer vehicle I assume) showed something like "searching for Bluetooth" that came up on the radio display after starting the car. Should I be seeing anything like that since I don't have a pairing button between the seats?

·
Registered
65 Posts
OK, so I got this figured out and here are the steps for E46 Sedan equipped with BT.

Before you start remove everything from the trunk, that includes the trunk mat and the spare wheel cover, then proceed further.
i don't get it... i was unaware that any e46 had a Bluetooth module. do you have to install this module prior to getting this code or is this all sock on the car??

·
Premium Member
28,879 Posts
If you have a '06 Vert like you sig, and you have BMW assist, more than likely you will have Bluetooth in the car?

Hold the "talk" button on the steering wheel for about 5 seconds and see if you get prompts for voice dialing, if you do, there is a 90% chance you have Bluetooth. Many Fanatics with the Bluetooth do not know about the Voice Dialing feature as it is poorly documented. You fully dial with voice commands either direct digits or speed dial number stored by a name or phrase, like "Home", "Office", "Bob" or "Wifey".

Also when you start the car, hit the R/T button on the steering wheel and see if the radio displays "Searching". If so, you have Bluetooth.

The Bluetooth pairing code should be on a label attached to the Bluetooth box.

Contrary to everyone's idea or opinion the Bluetooth pairing code is not 0000, 1234 or the last 4 digits of the VIN.

I can tell you this much, the Bluetooth on my car has been a pain in the butt. Modules hang from time to time requiring either the Radio fuses, #7 & #40??) to be pulled for 5 minutes or the battery being disconnected. I have also heard, however, not confirmed, that on the cars without the iDrive, the Bluetooth module can only support so many phones being paired. Once the que is full, the only way to clear paired phones is to have a dealer or Indy with a GT1 or like tool clear the Bluetooth module.

Good luck!

41 - 45 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.