E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I can't figure this out or find any relevant info on the forum.

I have this "phone" button and R/T on my steering wheel.
Can I connect my BB Curve with BMW system?

I tried pairing up my BB Curve with my car, but nothing worked.

Sorry if this is lame question, if there is similar topic on this forum, please post the link. Thank you !

·
Registered
178 Posts
:search:

almost all e46's come with those deceiving buttons. a few quick ways to check is to pull down the panel where the reading lights are in the headliner and see if theres a mic. or, go in the trunk and pull the carpet back on the left side (much easier than it sounds) and see if theres anything going on in there (any lil metal boxes mounted horizontally with wires attached [TCU or ULF])

if it has assist (sharkfin), you can swap out the TCU with a newer one from Tischer ($400). i just did it a few weeks ago, took about 10 minutes and works flawlessly.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
the phone button i believe was first used in conjunction with the factory wired phone, kinda like the in-car phone on the older e38 7 series. then it became a button for bluetooth. to sync your crackberry you need the blutetooth kit, pricey IMO, but i believe it allows for some neat features like phonebook access, etc. if you just want the button to answer/end a call and use the speakers as a speakerphone, there are cheaper solutions out there that require less installation work and function just as well.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:search:

almost all e46's come with those deceiving buttons. a few quick ways to check is to pull down the panel where the reading lights are in the headliner and see if theres a mic. or, go in the trunk and pull the carpet back on the left side (much easier than it sounds) and see if theres anything going on in there (any lil metal boxes mounted horizontally with wires attached [TCU or ULF])

if it has assist (sharkfin), you can swap out the TCU with a newer one from Tischer ($400). i just did it a few weeks ago, took about 10 minutes and works flawlessly.
Good luck on searching those key words I'm interested in.

I know I have a mic. because when I was playing around with my rear view mirror I pressed SOS button (next to assistance button) and it told me I'm not subscribed to the BMW service and to end this call say "Good Bye".

So how do I connect to existing system? Does it have Bluetooth or I need to buy newer TCU?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
the phone button i believe was first used in conjunction with the factory wired phone, kinda like the in-car phone on the older e38 7 series. then it became a button for bluetooth. to sync your crackberry you need the blutetooth kit, pricey IMO, but i believe it allows for some neat features like phonebook access, etc. if you just want the button to answer/end a call and use the speakers as a speakerphone, there are cheaper solutions out there that require less installation work and function just as well.
Ok, so I would have to buy the BT kit in order to synch. my BB with it? I thought that since there are those rear view mirror buttons and "car talks to me" when I press SOS or Assistance button it had some kind of built in BT, but I guess it doesn't.

Thank you for your input guys.

·
Registered
656 Posts
see my last post at the end of this thread, w/ some pics...
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=10055750&highlight=#post10055750

Now, I have a convertible which may be different, but I do have BT and I do not have a shark fin. ??

My phone (iPhone) paired up easily once I got the passkey from the unit (pics).

Funtionality: My radio will mute when I have a call come in -- push the sterring button to answer, I can scroll trough my address book (400+ numbers though), displays caller ID on the radio, handsfree of course (mic is on my steering column), etc.,
But I do not have some features like last calls log, direct search, presets, etc. It could be better, but it is what it is and I definately like having it vs. not.

·
Registered
194 Posts
see my last post at the end of this thread, w/ some pics...

Now, I have a convertible which may be different, but I do have BT and I do not have a shark fin. ??

My phone (iPhone) paired up easily once I got the passkey from the unit (pics).

Funtionality: My radio will mute when I have a call come in -- push the sterring button to answer, I can scroll trough my address book (400+ numbers though), displays caller ID on the radio, handsfree of course (mic is on my steering column), etc.,
But I do not have some features like last calls log, direct search, presets, etc. It could be better, but it is what it is and I definately like having it vs. not.
+1
exactly the same as mine, and mic is on the steering column where the hazard light button is on chevrolets and other american cars. I found out how to link my phone via the owners manual.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Phone button

Hey guys, I can't figure this out or find any relevant info on the forum.

I have this "phone" button and R/T on my steering wheel.
Can I connect my BB Curve with BMW system?

I tried pairing up my BB Curve with my car, but nothing worked.

Sorry if this is lame question, if there is similar topic on this forum, please post the link. Thank you !

Luke, I have the same question...what does that button allow me to do?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
^^check out the little "grille" on the overhead panel where your sunroof button is-this is where the mic is normally located. you can pry it out or shine a flashlight into it. if you see something, its probably a mic. if its hollow, well...

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Luke, I have the same question...what does that button allow me to do?
Well, as you see opinions are different.

I will do some more research on this once I find some free time and will post back with results. It is hard to believe that there is a button on the steering wheel that doesn't do anything unless you buy extra module.

From the link posted above:

I found out some info about "pair up" button which I don't have, weird because my car is 2005 and according to discussion in that topic the car should be equipped with TCU :/ thus it should have "pair up" button under the arm rest ? :eeps:

I will check out my trunk for TCU later on.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well, as you see opinions are different.

I will do some more research on this once I find some free time and will post back with results. It is hard to believe that there is a button on the steering wheel that doesn't do anything unless you buy extra module.

From the link posted above:

I found out some info about "pair up" button which I don't have, weird because my car is 2005 and according to discussion in that topic the car should be equipped with TCU :/ thus it should have "pair up" button under the arm rest ? :eeps:

I will check out my trunk for TCU later on.
If you have BMW Assist, since your car is a 2005 model, you most likely (but not definitely) have BT already installed. With Assist, you have a TCU in your trunk. If you have all the documentation that came with the car, you should have the PIN included in those docs. However, if you don't have the docs, the PIN will be listed on the TCU.

To pair the phone with the car, make sure you've got BT enabled on your phone, then start the car. The car automatically goes into pairing mode when you start it.

Read through this post. It will give you the info you need: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8454838&postcount=18

·
Registered
178 Posts
You have an SOS button, meaning you should have Assist, meaning you should have a sharkfin, meaning you should have a TCU, meaning the mic should be in the headliner grille thing by the reading lights, meaning you're missing something. Yes, you have a 2005, but I think at that point it MAY depend on the build date. BMW was generous in 2005 and said, ok cool you sprung for the Assist, here's some bluetooth while you're at.

The "pairing button" that you see on other posts is for the ULF (much more cashmonies) and for ppl w/o Assist. It goes where the coin tray is under the armrest, or under the armrest like most ppl do because you only need it for the initial pairing.

Mine also came WITH a card that said BT passkey. BMW acknowledged that they messed up by sending it, since they didnt equip it with the unit (d'oh!)

That being said, let us know what you find in your trunk, and we'll take it from there ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you have BMW Assist, since your car is a 2005 model, you most likely (but not definitely) have BT already installed. With Assist, you have a TCU in your trunk. If you have all the documentation that came with the car, you should have the PIN included in those docs. However, if you don't have the docs, the PIN will be listed on the TCU.

To pair the phone with the car, make sure you've got BT enabled on your phone, then start the car. The car automatically goes into pairing mode when you start it.

Read through this post. It will give you the info you need: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8454838&postcount=18
exactly. To pair my iPhone, all I had to do was have turn the car on, then turn on bluetooth in the settings, or just go into the bluetooth settings, it'll find the new device, you enter the pass key, it pairs and downloads the phonebook, and then says BMW under bluetooth devices. its actually really awesome. Also, when you get in the car, it automatically switches to the car, even if you're on the phone!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
You have an SOS button, meaning you should have Assist, meaning you should have a sharkfin, meaning you should have a TCU, meaning the mic should be in the headliner grille thing by the reading lights, meaning you're missing something. Yes, you have a 2005, but I think at that point it MAY depend on the build date. BMW was generous in 2005 and said, ok cool you sprung for the Assist, here's some bluetooth while you're at.

The "pairing button" that you see on other posts is for the ULF (much more cashmonies) and for ppl w/o Assist. It goes where the coin tray is under the armrest, or under the armrest like most ppl do because you only need it for the initial pairing.

Mine also came WITH a card that said BT passkey. BMW acknowledged that they messed up by sending it, since they didnt equip it with the unit (d'oh!)

That being said, let us know what you find in your trunk, and we'll take it from there ;)
Thanks man !!
With the information you provided I went into my car again during the lunch break ;)

Shark fin = check
SOS button = check
Assistance = check
Mic. = check
2005 model = check

So I started up the car again and tried to search for devices using my BB Curve. No good, so I went into my BB options and made my device discoverable (duh) and ta da - found BMW audio device.

I started digging in my trunk (left side) but gave up since people who were passing by were looking at me really weird ;)

All I need now is the pass key. Do you think I can get it by calling BMW dealer or do I really have to remove my trunk cushion to get to TCU?

Edit 1: So I called BMW and this lady told me it is going to be 0000 or 1234, WTF? :D I guess she has no clue what the hell is TCU. Thanks again guys for all the input. I will look for TCU when I get home.

Edit 2: Another dealer; bring the car to the service, we will connect it to the computer and tell you the pass key. I didn't even ask for how much ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks man !!
With the information you provided I went into my car again during the lunch break ;)

Shark fin = check
SOS button = check
Assistance = check
Mic. = check
2005 model = check

So I started up the car again and tried to search for devices using my BB Curve. No good, so I went into my BB options and made my device discoverable (duh) and ta da - found BMW audio device.

I started digging in my trunk (left side) but gave up since people who were passing by were looking at me really weird ;)

All I need now is the pass key. Do you think I can get it by calling BMW dealer or do I really have to remove my trunk cushion to get to TCU?

Edit 1: So I called BMW and this lady told me it is going to be 0000 or 1234, WTF? :D I guess she has no clue what the hell is TCU. Thanks again guys for all the input. I will look for TCU when I get home.

Edit 2: Another dealer; bring the car to the service, we will connect it to the computer and tell you the pass key. I didn't even ask for how much ;)
Success! I'm very glad I could help! I had to basically learn everything there is to know about it to get mine to work, of course with the help of fellow e46-ers. It'll take you 5-10 minutes to do it yourself. I'm not too good at describing the process because im at work and cant take pics lol, but if you do a search you'll find a million things about it, so if it sounds confusing, look elsewhere for the removal part.

1. Remove the tail light cover inside the trunk (there's a lil tab thing and it comes right off ). Also remove the trunk liner - the bottom piece that covers your spare tire.
2. theres 2 button pin things, the kind where u pull the round pin thing out (i used the flat head screw driver in the tool kit lol), then pull out the ring/pin thing that holds the carpet to the metal.
3. you dont need to remove the tray on the left bottom, but you can if you want to - 2 flat quarter size pins that you turn 1/2 way and pull out.
4. pull the carpet up-ish and out-ish, towards the other side, you'll see what i mean when you start pulling. the up-ish will free it from the tray, out-ish will free it from the rear metal fender part. it will just kinda hang towards the middle of the trunk, you really dont need to remove it all the way (that requires removing part of the seat back to get to 1 pin behind it, total pain.
5. while holding the carpet liner out, you'll see the TCU. there are 4 bolts that attach it to the bracket. unplug and unbolt. look on bottom. find passkey. enjoy.
6.reassemble trunk (duh ;) )

That one dealer with the 0000 or 1234 business is so incredibly wrong. Mine is 1543 - in case you ever steal my car and need to make a hands free call lol

Since you already have it installed you shouldnt need anything programmed, and you most likely have voice command (i hate you ;) ) [I still need both of those things to be fully installed-blaaaa] To use VC, hold the talking head until it beeps then say "help" and it'll tell u commands, or look in the manual, or online.

I'm really glad I could help. You're going to love it!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.