E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I am a proud owner of a 2003 330i e46. I recently brought my car into the BMW dealership for an airbag recall. After I picked up my car, my hazard lights starting going off randomly, and I couldn't control it. It got to the point where my hazard lights were on alll night and drained my battery.

I called the dealership and explained my problem, they agreed to look at it and if it wasn't anything on their work, I would have to proceed to pay $215 for a diagnosis of the problem. After diagnosis they "found faults for general module, recommend replace and program general module" quoted at $1,373....

I've tried to do some research on these forums and found a guy in Southern California who fixes and replaces general modules. He proceeded to explain that my hazard lights have NOTHING to do with my general module. Wtf BMW?!?!

I've expressed my frustration to corporate as well as the dealership but they have been no help. Can anyone please tell me what's going on or if anyone has experienced this issue..

The BMW dealership has been very dishonest and rude.

·
Premium Member
28,893 Posts
Buy a replacement Hazard switch and replace it, about 5 minute job. The back of the switch will be blown out. This is a NORMAL feature of BMW's after 10 years!!

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/hazard-central-lock-switch/61318368920/

I am sure the GM5 module had errors. I would send your GM5 module to Scott in CA to have the relays replaced for around $90. He is not much of a PM guy (no disrespect), prefers to replace the relays only when they are problems, I prefer not to be locked in our out of my car, replace the relays by year 10 and you will not have problems for another 10 years.

It is not IF the relays will have problems by WHEN!

·
Premium Member
28,893 Posts
cvx5832 I paid the stealership $215 for a diagnostic of my hazard lights problem. They told me it was related to the general module?
Where is a copy or summary of the faults? You paid for them!

You will learn, they are called STEALERSHIPS for a reason.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jfoj thank you I will try replacing the hazard switch.

They did not provide me with a copy or summary of the faults, I called the service department this morning to send me a copy of that, as well as a copy of my multipoint inspection and have still not received any response....typical.

·
Premium Member
28,893 Posts
So here is what you have to understand, most dealers have nothing but barely trained monkeys working in the shop. There are good, seasoned and smart techs, but they get all the gravy jobs if they have been at the shop for any length of time.

I am SURE the GM5 module has errors, but I am about 99% sure the hazard switch connects directly to the LCM not the GM5 module. Additionally is a KNOWN fact that the hazard switches blow the guts out the rear of the switch, when this happens the hazards do not work and/or they work erratically. You could go out to the car right now and pull the hazard switch out of the console and I would be VERY surprised if the back is still connected to the switch body. Less than 5 minutes, more like 2 or less.

If you read this quote below from the www.bmwgm5.com website I think it will clarify what the GM5 controls:

"#2 Will my car work without the general module?
Yes, the car will still run and drive fine without the general module. You will loose a few things like power windows, power door locks, remote keyless entry, remote trunk release, trunk release switch (the key will still work in the keyhole) interior lights, windshield wipers, windshield washers and alarm. Other than that you probably won't even notice the module is missing."

You are new here, but you need 2 tools NOW.

The OBDFusion App for your phone/tablet and the proper VeePeak interface from Amazon. Less than $30 for both.

Android - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0Q8LN...1489625402&sr=sr-1&keywords=veepeak+bluetooth

iProducts - https://www.amazon.com/Veepeak-Scan...8&qid=1489625433&sr=1-1&keywords=veepeak+wifi

You also need this software as well, again less than $30 - https://www.amazon.com/iSaddle-Scan...=1489625329&sr=8-1&keywords=bmw+scanner+1.4.0

If will run on other than Windows XP, but it is easier to run on XP.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I highly recommend you buy a code reader that can read all aspects of the car. $215 to read a code is ridiculous.

BMW Scanner 1.4.0 can read all aspects and code your vehicle. It can be tricky to install on Windows 7. I believe I paid $40 or so. I coded my DRL's to be on, and the factory alarm from parts I got from the junkyard.

I also have the Creator C310 V5.5 $67 on amazon. Also, a great scanner. Cannot read shadow codes or code the vehicle like BMW Scanner.

·
Premium Member
28,893 Posts
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE listen to someone who has more than 1 post and has only been on the forum for a few months!!!

While his comments pretty much parallel mine, he clearly does not understand the power of the OBDFusion App that is $10 or less! He will learn at some point that BMW Scanner 1.4.0 is not a good tool for Driveability issues.

·
Administrator
19,232 Posts
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE listen to someone who has more than 1 post and has only been on the forum for a few months!!!

While his comments pretty much parallel mine, he clearly does not understand the power of the OBDFusion App that is $10 or less! He will learn at some point that BMW Scanner 1.4.0 is not a good tool for Driveability issues.
I can confirm what jfoj is telling you (and has told 100's of other newbies on this site). Buy the appropriate wireless OBD interface and OBD Fusion app, as well as the BMW Scanner interface and software. You already need these and just don't know it yet. :hi:

It's likely just a coincidence that the hazard switch died while being serviced.

Stay far away from any BMW dealer and most independent shops. These cars aren't worth enough to pay someone to fix them.

Here's a tip for how to easily remove the hazard switch. Using a bobby pin to pull up the switch avoids having to pull up the shifter cover.

http://youtu.be/ok4DVdvBJb4

·
Premium Member
28,893 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts

Not to be rude, but just because I've been on this forum for a month does not mean my input is incorrect. I've been active on bimmerforums since 2004 - when I got my E36. I may have less than 10 posts, but I do believe my input can be useful, especially when someone is overpaying to have one code pulled. Everyone's experience is different and everyone can offer different suggestions. Having the most posts doesn't necessarily mean you know the most.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Update:

I finally received the list of fault codes from the dealership. Of course, there was no codes correlating to my hazard lights problem. Luckily the manager has offered to replace my hazard light switch free of cost.

Thank you BaliDawg I removed my hazard light switch using the bobby pin trick. I noticed a bit of sticky residue (there have definitely been some coffee spills..oops). I hope a new hazard light switch clears up the problem!

If it doesn't they are saying it has to do with the GM.... interesting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.