BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

This is my first post on E46Fanatics. I've done quite a bit of searching on google and found numerous posts suggesting solutions to the dreaded airbag light both on E46Fanatics and on several other websites. However, this has only created more confusion and I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I purchased my car, a 1999 323i (Built July, 98) a couple of months ago. The famous airbag light is on and my mechanic pulled the following codes:

Firing Circuit for Driver Side Seat Belt Pretensioner
Firing Circuit for Passenger Side Seat Belt Pretensioner

and...wait for it...

Passenger Seat Occupancy Mat Sensor.

This leads me to the following questions:

The mechanic told me that the wires under the driver seat are quite loose and seem to have been tampered with. He suggested I buy a new tensioner to see if that cancels one of the codes. On forums, many suggest that the tensioner is almost never at fault, but that the wiring goes bad. With a car that has 275000km (170k miles), is it most likely to be the yellow wiring harness or the actual tensioner?

Also, he mentioned that seat mat emulators can be unsafe because the system must detect the person's weight in order to deploy the airbag at the proper speed. In order to be 100% safe, the entire mat inside the seat would have to be changed. Is this true? If any of you have experienced this problem, have you tried the seat mat emulators?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
73 Posts
There is a new wire repair harness avalible from BMW for the firing circuit on both seats,and you may need a new pass.seat mat.Most of the time the seat belt tensioners are ok.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Do the test: substitute the real pretensioner with a 2 ohms resistor. If it fixes the code then it's pretensioner. If not then perform works on reducing the wiring harness , continue up stream toward the DME. I don't think the pretensioner are at bad.

Sapopte

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys! My mechanic told me it would be cheaper for me to buy new parts and plug them in to see if they cancel a code rather than have him spend a couple of hours trying to figure out exactly what the problem is. I have decided I will try out a new wiring harness. For $25, it's worth the try..... If that solves a problem, I'll buy the new seat mat as well. Unfortunately I don't have a scanner to reset the light, but I might invest in the peake research tool. Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts