BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Being new to this forum thing, I'm sure many of y'all have already answered these questions, but I'd like to open a new thread with fresh ideas.

First off, I have an '04 330Ci Sport, and would like to see what y'all think about 1) K&N v. AFE cold air intakes, 2) muffler delete w/ glass packs v. magnaflow exhaust, and 3) Powerchip v. Shark Injector.

With money as the limiting reactant, what, in your opinion, would be best? I understand performance figures won't be drastically changed following these upgrades, but a little extra "something" and a loud and M3-ish sound is what I'm going for...

·
Registered
547 Posts
My last car, a 330ci, had a Rogue Ikon exhaust (read: cheap) and i loved it ... almost as much as I love my current ZHP exhaust.
If your car is a ZHP, I wouldn't change the exhaust, as the car will never sound like an M3.
Also, I'd say pick up an aFe intake, but only if you can find one on the cheap. It's a quality product, looks good and fits nicely, but it won't give you any gains.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My last car, a 330ci, had a Rogue Ikon exhaust (read: cheap) and i loved it ... almost as much as I love my current ZHP exhaust.
If your car is a ZHP, I wouldn't change the exhaust, as the car will never sound like an M3.
Also, I'd say pick up an aFe intake, but only if you can find one on the cheap. It's a quality product, looks good and fits nicely, but it won't give you any gains.
Alright man, I'll do some research on Rogue Ikon... I've been watching videos on e46 muffler deletes and I'm on the fence. It's cheap and quick and some sound nice, but others sound like Civics. I think I'd put Magnaflow glass packs on it...

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
- Skip the intake. Your factory air box with a stock filter works better than almost all intakes, with the exception being the BMW Performance intake (ridiculously expensive for the marginal gains). There is lots of evidence (Dyno reports) for most brands of intakes available on here that proves that almost every intake available for the e46 does not help or even hurts performance. Some do show some minor gains at the top end, usually at the expense of low end power.
If you think about it, what do you use more? Low end power, or WOT redline power? Add in the fact that oiled filters are bad for the MAF sensor. So, save your money. If you want to hear a sucking sound from the drivers seat, get a girlfriend. :)
- As far as the exhaust, I would have to say go with the Magnaflow, or the Ikon, since a muffler delete and glass packs belong on a 78' Trans Am.
- Shark Injector.
While it may have seemed like a good idea to try to stir up a new discussion, this stuff is discussed on here at least once a week. Plus, it's not like there are a whole lot of new products being developed for a 2 generations old model, that is anywhere from 6-15 years old now. In fact, the number of aftermarket mods for these cars is shrinking every day. There is just not a lot of innovation going on any more, unless you count crappy coilovers and turbo kits coming out of China, and sold on eBay.

·
Registered
724 Posts
headers, underdrive pulleys, AA tune to get rid of o2 check engine light bc of no cats in the headers. That is only if your state does not do a sniffer test for inspection. If you really wanna spend some $$ then either ZHP cams can be had around $300 for a 10hp gain. Or there are a set of cams in the for sale section for $900 great cams they give noticeable gains.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts