E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm getting ready to install a new HU in my 330Ci w/ HK this weekend. I have the SOEM-4 module and plan to use it if I can find a space to put it behind the dash with all the other connections. Will let you know how it goes. I'm betting I'll be on the phone w/ Crutchfield at least once.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Have you spoken to C'field tech support? I installed a JVC KDA-815 CD Receiver with PAC-SOEM4 in my son's 330Ci this weekend. All went smooth except for trying to cram all the gear into the VERY small space behind the dash. I ended up taking out the A/C vents and bracket and putting the SOEM between the top of the HU and the air vents...I digress.

Why are you using the RCA plugs? The way I wired it was replacing the RCA connector with the wired one--pull the SOEM apart and replace it (ensuring that the switch is moved to the correct position). I did not use the RCA outs from the new HU. New HU-->SOEM (via wires)-->C'field provided wire adapter-->BMW wire harness. Does this help? The SWI-Jack is wired in separately but uses some of the same wires (Hot (brown?), Ground (black), Pin #7 (white, red, yellow if I recall correctly). I am on travel but can try to send pictures when I return.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Option #2 is the way it should work (at least it did for me). I hate to ask, but are you sure you have the SOEM box turned the right way? Input end towards radio, Output towards car/harness. I'm not sure how you are hooking the RCA plugs to the radio (I suppose you put moved that adapter to the Input side of the SOEM)--I think it ships with them on hte output end. I'd suggest calling tech support and/or rewiring the SOEM via wires ensuring it is pointing the "right" way. Also, on my unit I had the adjustments turned all the way clockwise. I know it's a real pain getting to and connecting all the leads. Sorry I can't be of more help.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Here are a few pics of the install. #1 shows where I ended up putting the SOEM unit (above the radio and below the A/C ducts. I ended up putting a piece of black self adhesive felt (from Lowe's) on the bottom of the SOEM and Axxess steering wheel interface in an attempt to reduce rattling noises after assemble--so far so good. #2 shows the mess of wires that are involved (I'm sure I'll catch some slack on how I did this! :facepalm:). #3 shows the finished look with the Crutchfield provided Scosche faceplate. Overall, I'm happy with how it came out.
BTW, the JVC KDA-815 faceplate is removable, despite C'field's warning that it might not be.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.