E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I purchased an Alpine 9885 HU along with the PAC-SOEM4 to install the unit. My first attempt was to wire the harness to the soem4 adapter and from the adapter to the factory harness, this unfortunately left me with NO sound. I then switched the wire connections for the RCAs and the sound worked but of course the output is not favorable. What am I doing wrong?

Background info... I connected and matched wire for wire between both the aftermarket harness and factory harness (w and w/o the soem4). I have also been sure to connect the remote amp wire (which is indicated in my "success" with the rcas).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes... Goal was to just replace the OEM HU. I used the LOC to wire it originally but it yielded no sound. I then swapped the wiring for the RCAs on the LOC and "success". This however isn't desirable since now even at max volume the sound levels are incredibly low.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm getting ready to install a new HU in my 330Ci w/ HK this weekend. I have the SOEM-4 module and plan to use it if I can find a space to put it behind the dash with all the other connections. Will let you know how it goes. I'm betting I'll be on the phone w/ Crutchfield at least once.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd like to help but haven't got a clue what any of those parts do or how you're trying to us them. How did you determine that these parts would do the job?

-Dave
Really all the parts mentioned, minus the LOC, are pretty typical for replacing an OEM HU. It also helped that all parts were recommended by Crutchfield for completing the job. The parts were only for supporting background information, my problem is that I do not have good sound levels. With the volume all the way up the sound remains low, WAY lower from the OEM HU.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Really all the parts mentioned, minus the LOC, are pretty typical for replacing an OEM HU. It also helped that all parts were recommended by Crutchfield for completing the job. The parts were only for supporting background information, my problem is that I do not have good sound levels. With the volume all the way up the sound remains low, WAY lower from the OEM HU.
That's because you've put a LOC, which is a high-low converter, onto a set of low level lines. Integrating an aftermarket deck to the OEM amp and speakers is challenging, and frankly self-defeating to do. Why are you bothering?

At this point, get a real amp and do the job right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@ELCID86... I truly doubt this is the case as I have completely redone the wiring several times now. I have wired the aftermarket HU with and without the LOC but the only operable way has been to use the LOC with RCA connections.

@Reach.... Why bother ? This job was suppose to be simple plug and play. I figure I would join in with the other countless people who have claimed success with this. The LOC is truly a moot point, the only reason I have it is because Crutchfield recommended it and the only reason I use it is because it's the only way I can get sound right now. If I had read from the beginning that replacing the amp was a must I'd have done so, but right now I really want to know if that is my only option?

So I ask again, is anyone actually familiar with this issue?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Have you spoken to C'field tech support? I installed a JVC KDA-815 CD Receiver with PAC-SOEM4 in my son's 330Ci this weekend. All went smooth except for trying to cram all the gear into the VERY small space behind the dash. I ended up taking out the A/C vents and bracket and putting the SOEM between the top of the HU and the air vents...I digress.

Why are you using the RCA plugs? The way I wired it was replacing the RCA connector with the wired one--pull the SOEM apart and replace it (ensuring that the switch is moved to the correct position). I did not use the RCA outs from the new HU. New HU-->SOEM (via wires)-->C'field provided wire adapter-->BMW wire harness. Does this help? The SWI-Jack is wired in separately but uses some of the same wires (Hot (brown?), Ground (black), Pin #7 (white, red, yellow if I recall correctly). I am on travel but can try to send pictures when I return.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
New HU-->C'field provided wire adapter-->BMW wire harness was the first setup I tried to no avail.

New HU-->SOEM (via wires)-->C'field provided wire adapter-->BMW wire harness is the second thing I tried to no avail.

New HU-->SOEM (via RCA)-->C'field provided wire adapter-->BMW wire harness is the third thing I tried with some results.

I connected wire for wire match each color from the C'field wire adapter to the matching color on the BMW wire harness, this however does not yield any sound from the speakers once the HU is in place.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Option #2 is the way it should work (at least it did for me). I hate to ask, but are you sure you have the SOEM box turned the right way? Input end towards radio, Output towards car/harness. I'm not sure how you are hooking the RCA plugs to the radio (I suppose you put moved that adapter to the Input side of the SOEM)--I think it ships with them on hte output end. I'd suggest calling tech support and/or rewiring the SOEM via wires ensuring it is pointing the "right" way. Also, on my unit I had the adjustments turned all the way clockwise. I know it's a real pain getting to and connecting all the leads. Sorry I can't be of more help.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Here are a few pics of the install. #1 shows where I ended up putting the SOEM unit (above the radio and below the A/C ducts. I ended up putting a piece of black self adhesive felt (from Lowe's) on the bottom of the SOEM and Axxess steering wheel interface in an attempt to reduce rattling noises after assemble--so far so good. #2 shows the mess of wires that are involved (I'm sure I'll catch some slack on how I did this! :facepalm:). #3 shows the finished look with the Crutchfield provided Scosche faceplate. Overall, I'm happy with how it came out.
BTW, the JVC KDA-815 faceplate is removable, despite C'field's warning that it might not be.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay.. Sorry about the absence there. I did get it to work correctly, but... I'm not exactly sure how. I'm leaning towards you being right that the output and inputs were switched on the LOC.

Fortunately, I never disconnected the wiring I only left it to the side. As soon as I plugged it in and switched the toggles to 'Wired' the stereo sound worked perfectly. Now the problems I have now are just silly in comparison. After closing everything up my SWI-Jack (Steering Wheel Controls) quit responding and upon activating XM there was no sound there. LOL

Thanks for the help!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.