E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I've been battling limp mode with 3 lights for over a year now and just can't get it sorted. I've replaced the throttle body, maf and low pressure fuel pump and have recently cleaned the right front speed sensor (hoping maybe it was causing 5e19).

The issue seemed to happen radomly over the last year, spaced by a few months at a time, but recently whenI step on the gas, i get a hessitation and sometimes limp mode kicks in but not always.

I've ordered a new speed sensor but i'm not really very confident that will fix the 5e19 error but figured it's cheap and worth a try. I can't figure out if the 5e19 causes the tps errors or if the tps cause the 5e19 code but the group seems to be related.

I've searched the internet far and wide for these issues but most of the threads on them don't end with a good conclusion. The closest I saw was a post where a new dme with flash of it resovled the issue but I'm skeptical that will resolve my issue.

Does anyone have experience with this issue and can offer some advice before I do more part swapping?

I've got a 2003 e46 convertible m54 with mk60 dme with around 350k miles.

I'm considering the casue could be:
1. foot pedal (seems it would throw it's own causes but from reading it seems like if this sensor is failing one can get tps codes)
2. electrical harness for engine? (seems unlikely, i've cleaned the contacts, checked them, they seem fine)
3. dme flash? I've seen comments on this helping but don't understand how.
4. abs module replacement? may be needed to resolve 5e19 code if new speed sensor doesn't?

thanks in Advance

Computer Personal computer Font Laptop Screenshot

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
9,412 Posts
If it was in my shop, I'd be looking/testing as to what is going on with the accelerator pedal, throttle body and the wires between.
It's very possible that the 005e19 code is a casualty of the throttle issue.

·
Administrator
17,720 Posts
VIN: JU96415
09/2002 330Ci vert
MK60 5E19: CAN data fault from DME/DDE (DSC lamp on as long as error is present)
MS43 A0: Engine-throttle position controller, jammed briefly
MS43 A1: Engine-throttle position controller, jammed permanently

Use INPA for troubleshooting this. Look at the DME throttle live data to see which values are acting up.

I suspect DME itself or its connectors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
VIN: JU96415
09/2002 330Ci vert
MK60 5E19: CAN data fault from DME/DDE (DSC lamp on as long as error is present)
MS43 A1: Engine-throttle position controller, jammed permanently

Use INPA for troubleshooting this. Look at the DME throttle live data to see which values are acting up.

I suspect DME itself or its connectors.
Thanks Bali! Is this a common failure mode of the DME? Do you think one of the DME test/repair services would detetc this if I sent it into them or what's the best way to figure out if it's the DME itself?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. It seems I'm stuck on which part is defective. I replaced the throttle body and there was no change. I did not replace the engine harness which this TSB suggests I should:

I'd rather not do the harness to find out it's the ECU, so looking for advice on the best way to proceed.

·
Administrator
17,720 Posts
Your process is wrong. Instead of blindly replacing parts, troubleshoot it to the problem component, then replace that.

Post #3 has a couple suggestions. I suspect this problem is DME related and the DSC fault code is a side effect, but you need to find out what is wrong to confirm that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. My question is more how does one tell whether it's the TB, the harness or the DME without trying different versions of each of those? The codes I get are incredibly simple, A0 basically:

A1 only seems to come if I stomp on it quickly a few times in a row.

The error is telling me either the TB (TB connectors) is bad, the harness is bad or the DME/DME connectors. How do I debug further which part of that chain it is?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts