BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the ratios are for the 5 speed and 6 speed box. Does the 6 speed have a taller top gear, or just closer spacing with the same top ratio?

Also, is the later 6 speed manual an easy swap in ? Has anyone done it ?

I ask only because i do a lot of motorway miles in my 325 and it seems to me the engine could cope with taller gearing and probably return better economy.

thanks

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
At 74 mph, I'm at about 2400 RPM in 6th gear. Also note I do have a 3.07 final drive, but that's not too big of a difference from the non-ZHP diff.

Swapping in a 6-speed will take a lot of time and a good sum of cash that will not be paid for by the better fuel economy. I would just stick with the 5-speed.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Does anyone know what the ratios are for the 5 speed and 6 speed box. Does the 6 speed have a taller top gear, or just closer spacing with the same top ratio?

Also, is the later 6 speed manual an easy swap in ? Has anyone done it ?

I ask only because i do a lot of motorway miles in my 325 and it seems to me the engine could cope with taller gearing and probably return better economy.

thanks
E46 5 speed- 4.23, 2.52, 1.66, 1.22, 1.00

E46 6 speed- 4.35, 2.50, 1.66, 1.23, 1.00, .85

The 6 speed is a little closer ratio and has an overdrive gear.

·
Registered
614 Posts
not sure what diff you have now, but if there was a lower number diff available for your car that might be way less expensive... but obviously it would ruin your acceleration pretty dramatically too.

·
Registered
133 Posts
not sure what diff you have now, but if there was a lower number diff available for your car that might be way less expensive... but obviously it would ruin your acceleration pretty dramatically too.
I have disagree...

I have a 5 speed wagon, they came with a 3:46 diff and I found it too tall.

Revved high on th highway and made 1st gear annoyingly short.

I put a 2:93 from a 330, easy 2 hr bolt in swap, and as people want the 3:46 I did a straight trade.

Best thing I ever did. 500 less revs on the highway and a 1st gear I can use.

The car does not feel slower in daily driving, just a more usable car.

Given the choice a 3:07 would be my choice,

Let the arguments begin!

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
This is a well known swap. I Wish the 6speed tranny were cheaper :(
I have one for sale at a reasonable price

Sent from my X10a using Bimmer App

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
could you pm your location and asking price please ?

Do you have the part no of the transmissions also ? I need to see how easy a swap it is.

·
Registered
278 Posts
At 74 mph, I'm at about 2400 RPM in 6th gear. Also note I do have a 3.07 final drive, but that's not too big of a difference from the non-ZHP diff.

Swapping in a 6-speed will take a lot of time and a good sum of cash that will not be paid for by the better fuel economy. I would just stick with the 5-speed.
even with 2.93 differential on 6 speed at 7400k rpm is 71 mph and with 3.07 that would put you at 68 mph

·
May the farts be with you, always
6,809 Posts
I have disagree...

I have a 5 speed wagon, they came with a 3:46 diff and I found it too tall.

Revved high on th highway and made 1st gear annoyingly short.

I put a 2:93 from a 330, easy 2 hr bolt in swap, and as people want the 3:46 I did a straight trade.

Best thing I ever did. 500 less revs on the highway and a 1st gear I can use.

The car does not feel slower in daily driving, just a more usable car.

Given the choice a 3:07 would be my choice,

Let the arguments begin!
too short you mean for the 3.46 (i totally agree)

and yes a 3.07 or 3.12(taller gearing) would be super, and less frantic and less high strung..

but if you have an extra gear like in a six speed, a 3.23 or higher would be nice as you will have that extra final gear.:thumbup:

·
Registered
103,526 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts