BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
You've priced the car many thousands above what you want to get. Shrink the gap.

Your car is only rare in the sense of a particular color and feature combo. Unless someone is absolutely on the hunt for that exact spec (which does happen, of course), it really doesn't mean a lot. Sure, it is a better combo than silver/black, but it isn't worth twice as much. What I'm saying is, your car isn't special, so unless you wait forever and just the right person finds you, you won't sell it for near that much. If they do find you, it better be in perfect shape for that price...which it is not. And they will still beat you up. If it had half the miles, ehhh, I could see this as a $10-13k car, but not more.

So, reality check, you're way too high on price. If it isn't worth it to sell below a certain dollar amount, then don't sell it, but don't be surprised when no one is offering twice what the car is worth because of a less offered color and feature combo. Heck, it was probably the only one that finished its build on a Tuesday by a guy named Don whose wife is named Barbara, so might as well call it 1/1!!!!! You get the point.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I listed my ZHP for sale and got a lot of backlash about the price.

It is an Oxford Green on natural brown automatic sedan. Super rare car. Only 1 of 3 in that spec. They only made 27 Oxford green cars in the world. Only 8 were oxford on natural brown. I understand mine is an auto so that kinda sucks however it is still 1 of 3.

Car has 118K miles on it. I listed it for 18K. I'm not expecting 18K of course! But I think 14-15K is more than fair for it.

What are your thoughts?

Link to FS post below
Oxford Green on Natural Brown ZHP
This is basically M3 money. I agree with the other poster, BaT is your best bet.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Since you asked, $14-15k is nuts. You're looking at maybe 8k TOPS, even with the flaws fixed. Many others have pointed out the problem with the "rare" color combo. And the flaws that you know how to fix and just won't do it. And the mileage--you're at the point where the cooling system refresh needs to be done again--was that done? Way to little info about service history. For your asking price, list the service history--it's critical for the e46.

Trunk carpet is a mess, console is all chipped up, seat bolster is sagging, chips in rear bumper, lumpy steering wheel (?), seats look like they could use a good clean, driver's door trim looks dirty, bumpers could use an alignment (look at fender gaps), hood and bumper chips, no heated seats (may not matter, but you're in zone that needs 'em).

IF it were an Imola red with good alcantara and a manual, with all of the flaws that you listed fixed, and a complete service history (with everything fixed), then you might find a CL buyer at $14k. On BaT, much more. As it stands, no way.

GLWS.

·
the people’s mod
2004 330Ci 115k miles
15,103 Posts
Here are results from BAT for ZHP's

I dont think an Automatic is going to fetch 14K with 100k+ mi.
I still keep an eye out for a manual ZHP but my limit for one would be about 10-12k, and at that price it needs to be relatively clean
Why haven’t you bought this one already? Too far away???

·
Registered
2005 330i manual transmission performance package
3,858 Posts
I can see why the prices for the manual cars are going up - there are too few of these left.
But an E46 with automatic transmission isn't worth such a premium, plus the ZHPs are extra difficult to convert to manual because the high ratio differental has to go.

Who cares if there are only two other cars in this paint and interior color?
Is there such a person on Earth who can honestly say "I must have a green/natural brown ZHP, don't care if its an auto"?

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,638 Posts
To be fair, color combo rarity is a bigger deal than you guys think. There's a reason why Techno Violet or Dakar Yellow E36 M3s or LSB or PYM E46 M3s pull big money.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I think Oxford on Tan is a beautiful combination. Not $18K beautiful, but very attractive nonetheless.

·
Registered
2005 325Ci convertible 5spd. manual
96 Posts
BaT has become so popular that it's a 3 month wait now to list a vehicle if they will accept it.

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,638 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
In my opinion...

Pontiac Aztecs are rare, but not desirable. Not saying it's an Aztec, but the person willing to pay a premium for a 17 year old "performance package" car wants the stick no matter the color combo.

Auto knocks it down, in my opinion, to sub $10k for those miles. The amount of scratches and dings keeps dropping the price.

That being said, you don't sell many sail boats in Kansas, but they do well in Annapolis. Your best bet is to bring it to a market where there are buyers looking for it. BAT may be your best bet.

Don't put the repair cost of items you think need addressed. It makes the seller look cheep for not fixing it, and the problem look bigger (why wouldn't they just fix that). Reword it: "Headliner is starting to sag where 17 year old BMWs sag. Evidence of leak on transmission, fluid levels checked regularly, add XX quarts of fluid every XXX miles. Paint has evidence of 17 years in Jersey."

Good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Your color combo isn't as rare or desirable as you may think. I have a Oxford with natural brown, 5 speed, subframe reinforced, and a 70k mile ZHP engine swapped in. You don't see me asking for $15k lol Often only we, who own the oxford color, really desire the color. Of course you can wait to sell it "to the right person" but good luck with the auto. If you're selling on Craigslist, drop it to $9k and maybe you'll get $7k. You won't find people on craigslist willing to spend $14k on a 330i.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The OP posted it in the zhp fb page a few days ago and created an absolute shit storm that ended with the admins turning off comments, lol. He was bragging about turning down $15K offers which considering he’s saying in this thread that he thinks he could get that for it that it was a lie.

Looks like he bought it a month or so ago per his YT video where he said he was going to make it a manual M3 which if done correctly would have been a really cool project.

The guy seems to be all over the place and looks to be pretty young so a lot of learning to go for him.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The OP posted it in the zhp fb page a few days ago and created an absolute shit storm that ended with the admins turning off comments, lol. He was bragging about turning down $15K offers which considering he’s saying in this thread that he thinks he could get that for it that it was a lie.

Looks like he bought it a month or so ago per his YT video where he said he was going to make it a manual M3 which if done correctly would have been a really cool project.

The guy seems to be all over the place and looks to be pretty young so a lot of learning to go for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A sedan M3 build would have been cool in Oxford. Like I said, only we who have it really love it. I would've loved to see that build pan out. Seems like op is looking for eyeballs not a sale.

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,638 Posts
A sedan M3 build would have been cool in Oxford. Like I said, only we who have it really love it. I would've loved to see that build pan out. Seems like op is looking for eyeballs not a sale.
I dunno; I love Oxford Green and my E46 is Orient Blue.

That said, I actually used to own an Oxford E34, and while I liked the color, I would loved an Orient Blue one 😂 I guess the grass is always greener (pun intended).

Re:your car, as nice as (I'm sure) it is, it's a ZHP clone. Folks are paying the big bucks for the genuine, from-the-factory ZHPs, because collectability 'n stuff.

·
Registered
55 Posts

That said, I actually used to own an Oxford E34, and while I liked the color, I would loved an Orient Blue one 😂 I guess the grass is always greener (pun intended).

Re:your car, as nice as (I'm sure) it is, it's a ZHP clone. Folks are paying the big bucks for the genuine, from-the-factory ZHPs, because collectability 'n stuff.
Thanks for the kind assumption! While my car is mechanically pretty sound, it's far from nice haha. One day I'll get there. My point was, his car is not worth anything near $15k as it is- especially not on Craigslist. He'll need to roll back the clock, remove like 2 owners from the history, get the headliner done, and at least put in 6-speed. Not sure this car will be a collector's choice.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Same here. Both of my E46's have been Orient Blue but I've always been on the lookout for the Oxford Green/Brown combo like the OP has.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
In my opinion...

Pontiac Aztecs are rare, but not desirable. Not saying it's an Aztec, but the person willing to pay a premium for a 17 year old "performance package" car wants the stick no matter the color combo.

Auto knocks it down, in my opinion, to sub $10k for those miles. The amount of scratches and dings keeps dropping the price.

That being said, you don't sell many sail boats in Kansas, but they do well in Annapolis. Your best bet is to bring it to a market where there are buyers looking for it. BAT may be your best bet.

Don't put the repair cost of items you think need addressed. It makes the seller look cheep for not fixing it, and the problem look bigger (why wouldn't they just fix that). Reword it: "Headliner is starting to sag where 17 year old BMWs sag. Evidence of leak on transmission, fluid levels checked regularly, add XX quarts of fluid every XXX miles. Paint has evidence of 17 years in Jersey."

Good luck with the sale.
I think this hit the nail on the head.

It's not in showroom condition.
The 1 of 8 thing really doesn't matter unless someone is looking for that. It could be 1 or XXXX if it had one different option. These aren't numbers matching type of collector cars.
At 117K miles, auto, not pristine condition (has outstanding issues as well). $15k is double what it could sell for.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I would agree. As I said earlier, my car had less issues and a lifetime Arizona car (no salt, ever) and I bought it for $4k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We get it. You got a good deal.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I couldn't imagine paying that much for an over 100k mile e46 that's not an M3 much less something lacking a wiggle stick.

I didn't even pay that much for my M3. And it was a single-owner, dealer-maintained, zero issue vehicle (for a little while anyway). It's also Oxford on Cinnamon, my favorite combo. It's a manual but it's also a vert. That's probably "rare" but it wouldn't fetch big money on account of being a vert, just like having an auto.

21 - 40 of 98 Posts