BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I listed my ZHP for sale and got a lot of backlash about the price.

It is an Oxford Green on natural brown automatic sedan. Super rare car. Only 1 of 3 in that spec. They only made 27 Oxford green cars in the world. Only 8 were oxford on natural brown. I understand mine is an auto so that kinda sucks however it is still 1 of 3.

Car has 118K miles on it. I listed it for 18K. I'm not expecting 18K of course! But I think 14-15K is more than fair for it.

What are your thoughts?

Link to FS post below
Oxford Green on Natural Brown ZHP

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wow! Good luck with the sale.

I bought mine with less issues for $4,000. Mine is silver paint and black interior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: zkramez

·
Registered
84 Posts
When it comes to rare cars, it takes a special buyer to pull the trigger on the “rare-premium”. As a seller, It takes patience and good, targeted marketing.

If 1 out of 100,000 people will be a likely buyer of this car, expect the 99,999 to make their comments around your listing price.

A sale transaction in the seller’s perspective comes down to this:
  • are you willing to sit and wait for as long as it takes or how much effort and advertising $ it takes to find the right buyer? Then wait.
  • Want to sell and get on with another project? Compromise on the price with one of the 99,999 people who will never pay that much for this car.
  • Want to take a risk in hopes of a higher return? List it on BaT.

P.S. IMHO, an “Automatic” E46 is not a reason to accentuate the rareness of your spec. I’d leave it at “1 of 8 OG/SB ZHPs ever made”.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Your price is high, maybe by $5k, although used car prices are up, and ZHP prices are up.

Yeah maybe it's a rare color combo, but the color is not that desirable. Maybe you tone down the "Rare" and "1 of 3" comments...Honestly, that turns me off as a buyer...You can mention all that stuff, but don't highlight it.

Otherwise:
auto trans, average mileage, 4th owner, east cost (salty) state, sedan (not a coupe), niggly issues all detract from the price you want...

GLWS

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,633 Posts
Just put it on BaT or Cars & Bids and hope for a last-minute bidding war. Plenty of folks on those sites with more money than sense. Case in point:

The average forum poster is going to be jaded and skeptical about high asking prices, just because of their familiarity with the model and its quirks and frustrations. Very unlikely someone looking to fulfill their ZHP ownership fantasy is going to venture onto the E46F classifieds in search of their dream car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just put it on BaT or Cars & Bids and hope for a last-minute bidding war. Plenty of folks on those sites with more money than sense. Case in point:

The average forum poster is going to be jaded and skeptical about high asking prices, just because of their familiarity with the model and its quirks and frustrations. Very unlikely someone looking to fulfill their ZHP ownership fantasy is going to venture onto the E46F classifieds in search of their dream car.
I would agree. As I said earlier, my car had less issues and a lifetime Arizona car (no salt, ever) and I bought it for $4k.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think 15k is crazy for a manual ZHP with much lower mileage. But that's me. It's true used car prices are up, and people with a ZHP fetish will certainly pay a premium, however for an automatic with pretty high mileage, I think you're still way out there.

That BaT listing is a good point though. The right buyer might be out there.

edit: It's a bonus that the subframe is done and the color combo is very nice. But still, the automatic will hold it back.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Just put it on BaT or Cars & Bids and hope for a last-minute bidding war.
BAT is a great place to get top money but people there can be very knowledgeable and will ask tough questions where he will have to provide sound answers, pictures and/or documentation, something i don't think the OP can do since he couldn't figure out simple things like posting a car for sale in the classifieds instead of here, or even be upfront about it being his car and instead claiming "he found a rare zhp, thought i'd share" like he did previously.

·
Registered
2006 325Ci M56 5MT
1,054 Posts
Here are results from BAT for ZHP's

I dont think an Automatic is going to fetch 14K with 100k+ mi.
I still keep an eye out for a manual ZHP but my limit for one would be about 10-12k, and at that price it needs to be relatively clean

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,633 Posts
If you're going to ask for premium price then you should have a premium car. Stop being lazy and fix the transmission leak, headliner sag and PDR if they are as cheap as you say.
Agree. Few things more annoying in a FS listing than "XXXXX is wrong, but cheap fix!" Well, why haven't you done it, then? I guess you reach a point where you're just fed up with the car and want to unload it and don't want to bother with the little things anymore, but price it accordingly...

BAT is a great place to get top money but people there can be very knowledgeable and will ask tough questions where he will have to provide sound answers, pictures and/or documentation, something i don't think the OP can do since he couldn't figure out simple things like posting a car for sale in the classifieds instead of here, or even be upfront about it being his car and instead claiming "he found a rare zhp, thought i'd share" like he did previously.
There are those folks on BaT, but there are also quite a few that never venture down into the comments section and just bid away. Worth a shot, IMO.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Here are results from BAT for ZHP's

I dont think an Automatic is going to fetch 14K with 100k+ mi.
I still keep an eye out for a manual ZHP but my limit for one would be about 10-12k, and at that price it needs to be relatively clean
Too bad you can't filter by Auto in BAT but agree that no way it goes up to 15K. That 75k Coupe for $19K notwithstanding i think zhp prices are not as absurd as they were a few months ago.

In late Jan a 6spd Imola sedan with 123K sold for $11.2K so i think that is what he can expect for this one, at most, being an auto

·
Registered
416 Posts
Agree. Few things more annoying in a FS listing than "XXXXX is wrong, but cheap fix!" Well, why haven't you done it, then? I guess you reach a point where you're just fed up with the car and want to unload it and don't want to bother with the little things anymore, but price it accordingly...

There are those folks on BaT, but there are also quite a few that never venture down into the comments section and just bid away. Worth a shot, IMO.
Agree, however, i think a casual buyer may want a more traditional color and the bidder who would be willing to pay the premium for the rare color combination is more likely to be an enthusiast who will ask the tougher questions.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
. Super rare car. Only 1 of 3 in that spec
Here is the issue with this.... it is only 1 of 3 because so many didn't want that combination. ZHPs are not that rare and the color combination rarely makes a car worth more. Do some VERY basic research on used ZHP pricing with the issues and features the car has and then go from there. Ignore the "rarity" of the color combination.

·
Premium Member
2005, E46 Convertible, 330CI M Sport, Mystic Blue, 76k Miles
182 Posts
The reason there are so few is because of the colour combination and green is an unlucky colour for a car.
There was a M3 up for sale for months in Scotland because of that colour. Only a special kind of person wants.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts