E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a difference between a 323 and 330 engine block other then how tall it is? I’m trying to put a 330 in for more power.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
323 = M52TUB25 engine, 330 = M54B30 engine. Different wiring, different drive by wire system, and the B30 compared to all other 6cilinders also has different injectors, intake manifold, MAF sensor, clutch, ...

Reactions: JTripper

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
In the US, the 323i got ONLY the M52TU engine (I think), which is nearly identical to the M54. Same engine block.

So, YES, you can swap in the M54 3.0 for an upgrade. You need to use the 323i's wiring, intake, MAF, injectors throttle body, etc. Get it running on your orig 323i DME stock software...Then, later, consider updating your DME's software to M54 3.0 (don't install a 330i DME).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the US, the 323i got ONLY the M52TU engine (I think), which is nearly identical to the M54. Same engine block.

So, YES, you can swap in the M54 3.0 for an upgrade. You need to use the 323i's wiring, intake, MAF, injectors throttle body, etc. Get it running on your orig 323i DME stock software...Then, later, consider updating your DME's software to M54 3.0 (don't install a 330i DME).
Would there be a problem installing a 330 dme? Also the 330 has a bigger throttle body right? Is there no way of retrofitting the electronic throttle body? I thought it was as simple as getting a new pedal, being electronic and all

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Everything else seems pretty attainable at the junk yard. And im assuming I can just bolt my headers/cat back on. What would be the difference between the engines exactly if it isn’t the block? Just the intake side?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Would there be a problem installing a 330 dme? Also the 330 has a bigger throttle body right? Is there no way of retrofitting the electronic throttle body? I thought it was as simple as getting a new pedal, being electronic and all
Everything else seems pretty attainable at the junk yard. And im assuming I can just bolt my headers/cat back on. What would be the difference between the engines exactly if it isn’t the block? Just the intake side?
Spend a little more time searching on m52tu to M54 swaps.

No, you can't just install a 330i DME..big headaches getting it to work
No, you can't just wire in a new pedal...You can, but it's a lot of complicated work
yes you can just bolt your exhaust back on.
The intake, MAF, Throttle body, injectors are different. you might find a diff connector or coolant temp sensor or something
The rest of the engine assembly is physically the same.

don't get greedy...install the M54 3.0 as I described using most of your 323i wiring, DME, intake, TB, etc. and you will be quite happy.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
6,264 Posts
Agree with Eff.
The engine/body harness' are different. Would be close to a hundred hours of work (?) to change such before ALL the issues were resolved for the 5 HP difference.
Go with the 3.0L use your peripherals.

I am just wondering about feeding enough fuel into the swap?
328/528 injectors/AMM?

·
the people’s mod
2004 330Ci 115k miles
16,028 Posts
Agree with Eff.
The engine/body harness' are different. Would be close to a hundred hours of work (?) to change such before ALL the issues were resolved for the 5 HP difference.
Go with the 3.0L use your peripherals.

I am just wondering about feeding enough fuel into the swap?
328/528 injectors/AMM?
The M52TUB25 and M52TUB28 both use the same intake, injectors, MAF, etc., so DME will run a M54B30 and adapt okay.
OP can always install larger injectors, MAF, etc., and attempt an MS42 tune later, if desired.

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,779 Posts
Is there a difference between a 323 and 330 engine block other then how tall it is? I’m trying to put a 330 in for more power.
FWIW the blocks are identical from an overall dimension standpoint. They share an 84mm bore diameter but the M54B30 has an extra 14.6mm of stroke over the M52B25, achieved by lengthening the crank throws. The outside dims of the block remain the same.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So the block, all my stock parts, bigger injectors, and a base tune is all I need? I think that’s my best bet considering the different throttle body’s

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But I’m also curious if the 328ci has a throttle cable as well. Anyone know? 170 vs 190 still a big difference. Not counting the headers or a tune

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Spend a little more time searching on m52tu to M54 swaps.

No, you can't just install a 330i DME..big headaches getting it to work
No, you can't just wire in a new pedal...You can, but it's a lot of complicated work
yes you can just bolt your exhaust back on.
The intake, MAF, Throttle body, injectors are different. you might find a diff connector or coolant temp sensor or something
The rest of the engine assembly is physically the same.

don't get greedy...install the M54 3.0 as I described using most of your 323i wiring, DME, intake, TB, etc. and you will be quite happy.
I did some research on the 328ci. Same throttle config so I believe I’ll be throwing a 328 block in. What was the problem with the dme you were speaking of? If I were to get a whole new system like this would it still be a problem?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Yes, you'd be weeks ahead to stay with a 328 configuration.

In fact, even if you went to an M54B30, you'd want to tell the dme that it's a 328-
b-kuz:
your car is an MS42 chassis, with MS42 sensors, connectors, etc.

The MS43 DME will not be able to make sense of this, demand an electronic throttle,
and you'll be down the mix, match and rewire rabbit hole, adding e- throttle,
different MAF, etc etc.
Plus, from my limited MS42 experience, the MS42 is pretty robust.
The MS43 is quite a bit fussier.

my .02c

t

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, you'd be weeks ahead to stay with a 328 configuration.

In fact, even if you went to an M54B30, you'd want to tell the dme that it's a 328-
b-kuz:
your car is an MS42 chassis, with MS42 sensors, connectors, etc.

The MS43 DME will not be able to make sense of this, demand an electronic throttle,
and you'll be down the mix, match and rewire rabbit hole, adding e- throttle,
different MAF, etc etc.
Plus, from my limited MS42 experience, the MS42 is pretty robust.
The MS43 is quite a bit fussier.

my .02c

t
So if I plugged in the ews and dme for the 328 I’ll be all good to do the swap? I’m Leaning towards the 328 swap. Im a one man crew and it’s been more then a few months. Don’t have much more time to waste with the new season being around the corner

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
You have the M52TUB25 in your 323i
Yes, you can upgrade to the M52TUB28 engine as a plug and play installation. It will run fine on your existing DME and it's 323i coding

you can also upgrade to an M54, but treat it as an M52TUB28 and install it as already described.

Some people report finding a good used M52TUB28 engine has become more difficult. They were only offered '98-'00. If you can find a good one, great, otherwise M54's are more plentiful

We have told you several times to keep your DME and update it later after you get it all running. This is based on the experience of dozens of people over the last 15 years who have swapped engines. You original DME already works with everything else in your car.

You could install that new DME, ignition key, EWS kit you show but:
  • you will still need to program all the other modules in the car to match the new DME/EWS (LCE, GM5?, etc)
  • you will have to have a separate keys to open door / trunk - BTW the car's VIN is stored in key
  • Even then, you have a greater risk of module incompatibility

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You have the M52TUB25 in your 323i
Yes, you can upgrade to the M52TUB28 engine as a plug and play installation. It will run fine on your existing DME and it's 323i coding

you can also upgrade to an M54, but treat it as an M52TUB28 and install it as already described.

Some people report finding a good used M52TUB28 engine has become more difficult. They were only offered '98-'00. If you can find a good one, great, otherwise M54's are more plentiful

We have told you several times to keep your DME and update it later after you get it all running. This is based on the experience of dozens of people over the last 15 years who have swapped engines. You original DME already works with everything else in your car.

You could install that new DME, ignition key, EWS kit you show but:
  • you will still need to program all the other modules in the car to match the new DME/EWS (LCE, GM5?, etc)
  • you will have to have a separate keys to open door / trunk - BTW the car's VIN is stored in key
  • Even then, you have a greater risk of module incompatibility
That’s exactly what I was asking for. Wanted to know if the dme was plug and play or if it required a little more tinkering. Tune down the road it is

1 - 18 of 18 Posts