BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
dot eleven N for the win
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been toying with the idea of getting an e36 M3 for awhile now, and I am not really sure if it's a good idea. Ever since I got my e46, I wish I had a stick, and more performance. The car sounds and looks great, but I really kinda want a rocket. Can't afford an e46 M3 at this time with a baby on the way. I figure I can probably save about $100 a month on car payments and insurance, so that's kinda nice too. I figure I'd finance for less than 60 months (which my e46 is at), so I can pay it off sooner and dump it and get something big, fast, and smooth (like a 7 series).
I owe $18.2k on my current ride, edmunds puts PP value of $20.2k on it. I figure if I can come out about a grand ahead, that'd be good. E36's are so much cheaper to mod and get tangible HP out of your $, that's another factor as well.
I've been pressing the wife for a motorcycle, maybe she'll concede and meet me in the middle for an M3. :woot: She just got an '04 TSX, so the "practical" needs of the family should be covered...
Thanks for listening/reading my rambling. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
35 Posts
e36 M3 is a nice car. Like it a lot better than an e46 M3. A lot of people I know, actually wish they hadn't traded in their e36 M3 for the e46 M3... but yeah, if you can manage... I'd say get one.

Fun times :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
IMO the E46 ///M3 is more of the gentlemen's vehicle equipped with a lot luxury, while the E36 ///M3 is more of a man's car, I dunno why but I like the E36 ///M more.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't know about a gentlemen's car... when I think of gentlemen... I think of older guy in a 7 series.. heh.

e46 m3 doesn't have the same "feel" though... that's for sure!

·
Registered
23 Posts
RacerX said:
I've been toying with the idea of getting an e36 M3 for awhile now, and I am not really sure if it's a good idea. Ever since I got my e46, I wish I had a stick, and more performance. The car sounds and looks great, but I really kinda want a rocket. Can't afford an e46 M3 at this time with a baby on the way. I figure I can probably save about $100 a month on car payments and insurance, so that's kinda nice too. I figure I'd finance for less than 60 months (which my e46 is at), so I can pay it off sooner and dump it and get something big, fast, and smooth (like a 7 series).
I owe $18.2k on my current ride, edmunds puts PP value of $20.2k on it. I figure if I can come out about a grand ahead, that'd be good. E36's are so much cheaper to mod and get tangible HP out of your $, that's another factor as well.
I've been pressing the wife for a motorcycle, maybe she'll concede and meet me in the middle for an M3. :woot: She just got an '04 TSX, so the "practical" needs of the family should be covered...
Thanks for listening/reading my rambling. Any thoughts?
I don't mean to ruin your fun but I'm in the same boat. I have an 00 328i, sport/premium..awesome shape. 62k miles...looking at 17.5k on a good day. Keep your car, pay it off..drive it into the dirt...save for a S4 or the new 335. Buying an out of warranty car that is 7 years old is a bad move. Think about it..mechanics bill or your babies diaper. Wife has a new Touareg and I'm wanting a S4 or an '04 Z06. I'm holding out, stashing 500/mo into the bank as I'm paid off. Waiting until tax return time and then going to blow a wad on mods or the S4. Just my .02 ....Congrats on the baby. Exciting times.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
definitely go for the E36 m3. I was so close to getting one too, but instead I decided to supercharge my 325 instead

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I think it's all personal preference.... I test drove an e36 m3 manual and hated it, to me it was a POS, but hey that's IMHO. I don't really care what anyone else thinks because I can drive another e36 M3 and say I hate it again. I especially hate how small it is compared to the e46 (and interior sucks), it cramps my legs and I hate the pedal positions on the car. It just irritates me...

I test drove an e46 m3 6 spd a few months after and loved everything about it.
More roomy, the pedals are nicely spaced out and it has a lot more power.
Just like I said personal preference, and why buy an old e36 m3 when I can buy a much newer e46 330ci? Better yet the e46 m3 if I have the money.

To the guy who said the e36m3 being a better "manly car" don't make me laugh. It can barely fit a real man, especially a real man's foot size on the awkward pedals. If I wanted "feel" and raw power than I would have bought an evo/Sti/350z.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts