E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

First post, here goes:

My car is making a terrible noise when you turn the steering wheel (see youtube link) and I'm not sure if it's the pump or piping. I have noticed since its been sitting in the garage for a while that there is a tiny bit of red fluid on the floor. The power steering pipes seem gunky too but this could just be from time?

Anyone have any clues as to what it could be before I rip it all out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvEOP6H0ElU

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Two things. Pump or rack.
Have rack boots ever been damaged? If so, sand/small rock could've damaged the rack itself.
If they've never been damaged, I'd suspect pump.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Mack.

Come to think of it. I had borrowed the car to my mum (veryyyy hard to do...) and she returned it like that. She said that she went through a hectic puddle of water and her road is full of potholes... so I wonder... ? Otherwise, to my knowledge, nope never...

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Rack doesn't get damaged if boots never been torn out. It's just bunch of pinions,,you know.
I'd replace PS pump, OEM LF20 pump should be around $250.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mack, might just go ahead and do that, they're actually a lot cheaper here in SA, about $100. Do you know of a good DIY ?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Wow, ironic, I just posted a thread about mine last night!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=833523

This is the SAME exact sound I'm getting, it's like a rapid "thuding" noise when you even slightly turn the wheel, right? Did you drive it home like that? I parked mine about 5 miles across town. I'd like to get it today without a tow!

Consensus on my thread seems to be PS pump. However, I talked to my BMW mechanic buddy and he said it could ALSO be the little rod/shaft inside might have failed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My mom was actually borrowing it. She drove it all the way to me like that and it's been sitting ever since!

Its a hectic noise, really scary. hehe -

If you hear anything new please let me know dude, and good luck getting it sorted :D lets stay in touch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts