E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 BMW 325i M54 215000+ miles </3
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't found any discussions about my current issue... I might've not looked hard enough but i want to talk about the issue i'm having with my current 04 325i M54 engine. There's this odd rattling/buzzing sound when i accelerate above 2000rpms until 4000rpms and then it stops, but as i'm accelerating there's a loss of power and the car sort of jerks as well as lags to actually move up in rpms.
Just yesterday i replaced all 6 spark plugs with NGK Platinum (the forum recommended spark plugs lol) because i was getting a P0306 code (also a p0171 but i just replaced the cats so it isn't the cats) and just decided to replace all 6 spark plugs and i also bought a new ignition coil for cylinder 6... but the problem only got worse. I was driving it today and i decided to see if it just took a little push to get it to stop so i pushed it a little harder and then all the sudden it kind of stalled and at idle the car was jerking. I have a video of the sound posted right here.

·
the people’s mod
2004 330Ci 115k miles
16,245 Posts
First thing you need is a tool to read trouble codes, look at engine live data, see emissions monitors, do logging, etc.
If you have OBD Fusion, do a Diagnostic Report at hot idle, save it, post a link to it here for review.
If not, then at least provide the following:
  1. all trouble codes in Pxxxx format
  2. freeze frame data for at least one of the trouble codes
  3. all four fuel trim values (short term and long term for banks 1 and 2), and MAF value in (grams/second) at hot idle
That should give us a baseline for what's up with your engine.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've just decided to sell my car. it ain't worth it, i've put more money in than i did buying the damn thing... with catalytic converters, new exhaust manifold gasket, power steering refresh, MAF, spark plugs (2x), radiator, new stereo, carbon fiber wrapped interior, led interior and license plate lights as well as brighter reverse and turn signal lights. and plenty more and that car just still won't run as good as it should be.

·
Registered
E46 '04 330Ci convertible 780 K km
1,551 Posts
What made you to replace MAF and cats?
Spark plugs last for at very least 60K miles.
Do not rush to get rid of a car , not yet.
Also, you just paid for premium membership on a forum. Do not waste that money.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
true. but idk man i've had this car for a year and for the longest time didn't drive it because the cats were bad. i replaced them with used ones from a mechanic that charged me only $600. i paid for a premium membership so that more people would notice my discussion so i could at least get some answers... obviously that didn't work. I replaced the MAF with an aftermarket but realized it's best to stay OEM so i just put the original back in bc i had no bad readings for the MAF. Also i replaced the cats bc the car had the P0171 code and would stall out and had absolutely no power whatsoever. it was not drivable at all with even the smallest of inclines being difficult for the car to drive on. but as soon as i replaced the cats the car was way more drivable and didn't stall out... but it still had the current problem it had right now. it makes that annoying buzzing sound around 2000 rpms up to 4000 rpms and just today as came from a stop light it stalled out and i just decided at that point i might just get rid of it because my obdii doesn't want to connect and neither did autozones and i really just give up at this point it's not worth any more of my money.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if you want to know what the car sounds like please watch the video i created of it :/ it's on the discussion starter.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
First of all, questions/comments posted by me, and by majority of forum members, meant to get clear picture of what is going on with your car, and help to find a solution. So if you share your frustration describing your issue, it would be helpful to answer some questions to clarify the picture.
Cats, if being clogged, could drastically affect engine performance, upto the point car could become undrivable. So as you replace them, assume they are in good condition - how were they checked? P0171 doesn't have anything to do with conditions of cats though. If it is only code you had, not P0174 as well, then it indicated pre-cat O2 sensor fail.
I do not know what sort of diagnostics was run to conclude bad condition of cats and MAF to be replaced. That is why I asked what led you to that decision.
because my obdii doesn't want to connect and neither did autozones and i really just give up at this point it's not worth any more of my money.
Could you clarify it please, as it is unclear what you mean - ''doesn't want to connect''? What scanner you use?
if you want to know what the car sounds like please watch the video i created of it :/ it's on the discussion starter.
I have seen the video. It is near not as informative as scan results would be.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
i paid for a premium membership so that more people would notice my discussion so i could at least get some answers... obviously that didn't work.
It is barely relevant, but it is shown you joined 8 hours ago, should you wait for a bit more to get answers you are seeking?

·
Registered
2004 BMW 325ci convertible
152 Posts
Replace the Fuel Filter Assembly; it's easy to replace.

You can watch 50sKid youtube video regarding the DISA Valve.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First of all, questions/comments posted by me, and by majority of forum members, meant to get clear picture of what is going on with your car, and help to find a solution. So if you share your frustration describing your issue, it would be helpful to answer some questions to clarify the picture.
Cats, if being clogged, could drastically affect engine performance, upto the point car could become undrivable. So as you replace them, assume they are in good condition - how were they checked? P0171 doesn't have anything to do with conditions of cats though. If it is only code you had, not P0174 as well, then it indicated pre-cat O2 sensor fail.
I do not know what sort of diagnostics was run to conclude bad condition of cats and MAF to be replaced. That is why I asked what led you to that decision.

Could you clarify it please, as it is unclear what you mean - ''doesn't want to connect''? What scanner you use?

I have seen the video. It is near not as informative as scan results would be.
Sorry bro like you said i'm just frustrated.
Here's a more in depth answer to your questions.

Symptoms before changing cats:
•sluggish performance
•any inclines were very difficult
•stalling out when passing 35mph
•decreased mpg from 19mpg to 13mpg (thought it could be the fuel filter so i replaced it with a bosch filter)
•difficulty starting (also due to bad battery which I also replaced)

I replaced the MAF and DISA Valve around the same time because i was getting a P0101 code and when i brought it to a mechanic he stated the graph was reading 18 g/s when it should be around 8 g/s and it got up to 50+ g/s when accelerating. So i replaced the MAF. I replaced the DISA because the symptoms lined up to it being the DISA valve... which it wasn't. The original DISA was perfectly fine so that was a waste of money. I pretty much wanted it to be everything else that it possibly could've been except the cats because they're expensive, so I went on to clean the throttle body and make sure the tps sensor was fine which it was. So thankfully I asked my mechanic how much it would be to replace the cats and he told me $600 so I said alright let's do it.

The cats were replaced and the MPG went up to 17.4 (where it's at rn) and the performance was extremely improved compared to before and just recently after i've decided to try and pin point this current problem i was getting a p2231 code for the 02 sensor. I didn't replace the 02 sensor yet but in the video that whitish cord above the coils was the 02 sensor wiring harness and it does look like it needs to be replaced. Eventually the P2231 code went away and about 2 weeks ago i checked again because the buzzing sound got worse... and i was now instead getting a P0171 and P0306 code. so i replaced the spark plugs and the one ignition coil on cylinder 6 and the buzzing got worse and now the car stalled out once again while driving home. i made sure the spark plugs were tightened and everything was fastened. So i went and plugged in my bluetooth OBD2 scan tool and it didn't want to connect to the cars ECU all the sudden... it did last night after i replaced the plugs and the coil and it read the same P0171 and p0306 and now it's being very stubborn and doesn't want to connect to the cars ECU anymore. I don't want to give up on my car but i also don't want to look like a fool for keeping it and spending all this money on it for it to not work as it should. I understand with older vehicles that's how it is but i'm not too good with money so i can't keep spending on the car when I have other things i need to be paying for. I do got to say though I really love the car and it hurts to say that I give up.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Replace the Fuel Filter Assembly; it's easy to replace.

You can watch 50sKid youtube video regarding the DISA Valve.
Yea I replaced the fuel filter with a bosch filter and that wasn't the problem unfortunately :(

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is barely relevant, but it is shown you joined 8 hours ago, should you wait for a bit more to get answers you are seeking?
You're very right I just need to be patient. hopefully with as much info as I know to give I may be able to get something.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
DISA is rare has effect on engine performance, unless nonoperational. Now you hae new one, o you are safe for next 200K miles.
Back to your problem. You have to get proper diagnostic tool to be able to read fuel trims. thereare many cheap ones working with tyour OBD adapter. You could also buy How to Install BMW Standard Tools
Proper diagnostic will make things much easier to solve.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First thing you need is a tool to read trouble codes, look at engine live data, see emissions monitors, do logging, etc.
If you have OBD Fusion, do a Diagnostic Report at hot idle, save it, post a link to it here for review.
If not, then at least provide the following:
  1. all trouble codes in Pxxxx format
  2. freeze frame data for at least one of the trouble codes
  3. all four fuel trim values (short term and long term for banks 1 and 2), and MAF value in (grams/second) at hot idle
That should give us a baseline for what's up with your engine.
Here are the current codes:
•P0304 (which was recently P0306 but i replaced the ignition coil for cylinder 4 and 6 but P0304 still showing up)

•P0171

Here is the freeze frame data:

DTCFRZF P0304

FUELSYS1 OL

FUELSYS2 OL

LOAD_PCT (%) 72.9

ETC (F°) 194

SHRTFT (%) 0.0

LONGFT1 (%). 10.9

SHRTFT2 (%) 0.0

LONGFT2 (%) -1.6

RPM (/min) 3067

VSS (mph) 17

SPARKADV (°) 12

IAT (F°) 84

MAF (g/s) 122.681

TP (%) 41.2

AIR_STAT OFF

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Persisting P0171 indicates failing )2 sensor on first bank, that one closer to front of the car. You have to replace both, as probably no one touched them before.
As your plugs are new, and you moved coils - or replaced with new? If latter , then you should look into condition of injectors ( also , any history of their servicing?)
Freezing frame isn't informative, there are strange readings, like MAF 122 g/s - it is huge amount. Your short trims are zeros, which would be good, but it is much more important to see some dynamics.
Can you get a graph with your OBD scanner, or at least read it repeatedly - on idle, when engine is fully warmed up, then on 3000 rpm?

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Persisting P0171 indicates failing )2 sensor on first bank, that one closer to front of the car. You have to replace both, as probably no one touched them before.
As your plugs are new, and you moved coils - or replaced with new? If latter , then you should look into condition of injectors ( also , any history of their servicing?)
Freezing frame isn't informative, there are strange readings, like MAF 122 g/s - it is huge amount. Your short trims are zeros, which would be good, but it is much more important to see some dynamics.
Can you get a graph with your OBD scanner, or at least read it repeatedly - on idle, when engine is fully warmed up, then on 3000 rpm?
It's weird because i was getting P0304 after previously getting P0306 so i was like okay well maybe it's the coil that's bad so i swapped it with a different coil from a different cylinder to see if the code switched.. but it stayed at P0304 so i was like maybe i got a faulty spark plug (even though it was brand new) so i swapped the 3rd cylinder spark plug with the 4th... again to see if the code had moved but after doing that i didn't get any codes. Not even the P0171 or 0174. I'm sure that's likely to pop up again. But in the video i had posted you can see the 02 wiring cover is like white... which obviously means it hasn't been replaced maybe since they've gotten the car, so i will definitely be replacing that 02 sensor to see if anything changes (the other one did however look as if it was replaced because the wiring cover was black and felt way newer than the other maybe they just didn't have the money to buy two of them at the time) . As far as the injectors go i have no clue how they are but i will be looking into that.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can you get a graph with your OBD scanner, or at least read it repeatedly.
I will try with my old ob2 scanner the new one i got is very straightforward only allowing me to check the freeze frame. no live data or anything like that. My old one if it connects again hopefully does however allow graphing i just need to figure that out.

·
Super Moderator
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
6,879 Posts
I can relate to how frustrating this is, but you also need to slow down and ask questions, because you are doing things that may not help.

Your misfires are almost certainly not being caused by your coils. More likely by the same issues that are causing the p0171.

I just wrote this a little bit ago, but maybe it will help.

In the meantime, don’t buy any part with a plug from eBay, Amazon or RockAuto. It won’t work and will be frustrating. FCPEuro sells OE parts that are reliable and priced well, as does Pelican Parts.

MAF and fuel pump should be VDO//Siemens
O2 sensors bosch

Did you get a BMW disa valve? Why did you replace it? It only needs replacement of the internal membrane stops holding vacuum, which is easy to test.

Refreshing an older e46 is around $3k.That you bought it for less than that is immaterial.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey man back here again and here's an update:

i've cleared the codes and read them again... P16A7 went away as well as the P0133, but the P0171 is still currently there. So I tried doing a visual "self diagnostic" by checking all my hoses and as I was looking I noticed both hoses coming out of the CCV were filled with oil around the connection to the CCV. Now i do have an oil leak and have been told it's coming from the oil filter housing gasket which i will change when i replace the CCV, but i'm sure it's also coming from there. i could not feel any rips or tears nor see them but i get a feel of every part of the hoses either.
* IMPORTANT*
BUT QUESTION... is that the reason why i'm getting the P0171 as well as major power loss and why my car keeps stalling out? I really hope so because i'm just ready for my car to be drivable again.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Usually there are few problems together. You have to get proper fuel trims/ MAF reading in of=rder to see the root.
As I mentioned before, P0171 indicates O2 sensor bank 1 is bad. Swap bank 1 and 2 sensors and see if code migrates to P0174, then your sensor is dead.
CCV filled with oil tells you need to replace it, cleaning dipstick connector to CCV as it also might be clogged.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts