E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a manual transmission (124k miles). Due to Covid I had to isolate for 10 days and today was the first time I moved the car. Car started up just fine put it in gear 1 and when I was moving off it made a weird grinding sound. It only happens the 1st time and never again. I know my clutch is getting near its end and there is a small transmission leak (rear main seal).

This isn't the first time I heard this sometimes I do hear it when I'm leaving for work in the morning or on the way back. It only happens when I'm moving off for the first time. But the sound has never really been that loud.

Also there is a small rattle when I'm moving slowly in reverse I'm guessing its all related to my clutch going bad.

What exactly is causing the sound?

The car drives well don't have any issues when shifting gears, only the occasional moving off in gear 1 when it tries to stall, again probably clutch going bad.

· Registered
82 Posts
sometimes happens to me (but rarley), same thing, i guess check your cables and other handbrake stuff at the rear and then (if everything is ok) you can look at other stuff but i hope its nothing major

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.