E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got some 19" rims for my car and I'm looking to put some drilled rotors and powder-coated calipers on when I put on the new wheels. I'd like to increase the size of the rotors and calipers simply for looks. From what I could gather, the best option would be to buy 330i rotors, calipers, pads, and caliper brackets. I understand that the front should bolt right on with the 330 caliper brackets but can anyone tell me how hard the back will be fit on? Apparently it will take some customizing. Is it worth doing this or should I just buy the 325i rotors and have my current calipers powder-coated? My fear is that the 325i rotors and calipers will look too small behind the 19" rims.

If anyone has any suggestions for me it would be greatly appreciated. I am looking at ordering the new rotors, calipers, and pads from www.cquence.net.

·
:D
7,274 Posts
As far as I know your e brake won't work with 330 brakes unless ÿ

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
suggestion. If you're going with x-drilled, avoid x-drilled. What you want is "drills/holes", that were part of the casting/forging process.
If you take a blank rotor and drill/slot after the forging/casting process, you are making the rotor weaker.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,970 Posts
You'll need to modify the rear drum shoes of the rear emergency brakes.
I think it was Parklas who has a DIY on what to do.
Just so you know, you don't have to powder coat the calipers. Prep and taping the calipers and using a high temp paint with a high temp paint clear after lasts fine. Did mine black like that and they're still looking great. Just saw my old car last week at Bimmerfest.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies I hadn't even considered the E-brake. I will probably just stick to the brake parts made for the 325i. As far as the rotors go, I am buying them pre-drilled from the manufacturer. Alex323ci, I was only thinking powder-coating because I wasn't sure how the high-temp paint would stand up to a good scrubbing. I am going for yellow calipers so I intend to be giving them a good cleaning every couple of days

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,970 Posts
Thanks for the replies I hadn't even considered the E-brake. I will probably just stick to the brake parts made for the 325i. As far as the rotors go, I am buying them pre-drilled from the manufacturer. Alex323ci, I was only thinking powder-coating because I wasn't sure how the high-temp paint would stand up to a good scrubbing. I am going for yellow calipers so I intend to be giving them a good cleaning every couple of days
ok, well yellow is pretty aggressive for stock calipers. they are pretty small looking and nothing fancy looking when painted. it's your car and your call. but...you'll find many people think they'll like the yellow and go to silver or black over time. so if you paint and don't like you can paint again and not be out so much with the powdercoating.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
ok, well yellow is pretty aggressive for stock calipers. they are pretty small looking and nothing fancy looking when painted. it's your car and your call. but...you'll find many people think they'll like the yellow and go to silver or black over time. so if you paint and don't like you can paint again and not be out so much with the powdercoating.
Aye, if anything I'd just respray them to make them look new. Unless you're packing some serious hardware behind your wheels I don't see why you'd want to make them stick out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I too am interested in putting 330's brakes on my 325. Didn't think of the e-brake either.

So how much extra would it be to upgrade the front to the 325mm rotors over the 300mm? Is it just new calipers or is there more to it?

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,970 Posts

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,970 Posts
I too am interested in putting 330's brakes on my 325. Didn't think of the e-brake either.

So how much extra would it be to upgrade the front to the 325mm rotors over the 300mm? Is it just new calipers or is there more to it?
for the front 330 you need the calipers, carriers, rotors, pads (and dust shields) if i remember correctly. you can use 'used' calipers, carriers (dust shileds) so that cost is what you find them for. but should only use new rotors and pads

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.