E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a noisy set of hydraulic lifters which I like to replace myself. I cant seem to find a good enough guide on the net on how to do it. Does anyone know of any guides and also can someone comment on the job and where a diy'er is likely to struggle or have problems? I am very competent, I have carried out loads of jobs on the car in my time. Also please indicate what special tools are required. I do not at any cost wanna attack a job without the right tools.

·
Registered
727 Posts

·
:D
7,274 Posts
Changing oil ever 10k and a 0w-40. You probably have a ton of sludge.

From my phone
That's what I do. No sludge. Plus how would sludge cause lifter tick

·
:D
7,274 Posts
How thick was the sludge? Easily blown out with compressed air with the lifter still installed or no

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
good quality oil will and should easily do 10k before any sludge appears. I say this because I have pulled out a few components that should be clogged due to sludge, but actually where not at all. The oil separator being one component. Plus if I was to be changing oil at that mileage, then I would have to do it every two months.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,650 Posts
OP, you're fine with oil going 10K miles...but you should maybe try another oil.

Many have calmed down lifter tick substantially with German Castrol, so they say.

Certainly worth a shot. Also, I hear ticking noises too...and have for years...and I wouldn't open up the engine for that.

Also, not infrequently, posts that begin like yours, end with the OP finding a crack in a vac/intake leak somewhere which attenuates the tick. Sometimes it's also a loose spark plug that makes people think it's a lifter issue.

·
Registered
451 Posts
OP, you're fine with oil going 10K miles...but you should maybe try another oil.

Many have calmed down lifter tick substantially with German Castrol, so they say.

Certainly worth a shot. Also, I hear ticking noises too...and have for years...and I wouldn't open up the engine for that.

Also, not infrequently, posts that begin like yours, end with the OP finding a crack in a vac/intake leak somewhere which attenuates the tick. Sometimes it's also a loose spark plug that makes people think it's a lifter issue.
Yeah 10k is fine with a good syn. The film really doesn't develop until 2-3k, which is why many people very educated in oil chemistry claim you can do more damage than good by repeatedly changing a syn oil sooner than 5-6k. Heck, BMW wants me to keep oil in my M3 for 14k miles... I compromise at 10k:thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.