BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
320i Touring
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all
so I'm not 100% sure they're related, but I've been having issues with the remote key fob working intermittently (stopped for a few months, then worked again for a few months, then stopped again) and the tailgate demister. When the key fob works, then both of my keys work, so i know its the car that's the issue. Only use the demister in winter, so only recently noticed that it isn't working and that the fuse (30a, as per guide) blows immediately when switched on. Then i remembered the demister fuse blowing last winter, and that might have lined up with when the keys didn't work...
i assume a short somewhere in the wiring.

so my question is: does anyone know enough about the wiring to tell me if there's likely to be a connection between these issues, and hopefully a fix!

thanks in advance
Mursy

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
3,782 Posts
hey all
so I'm not 100% sure they're related, but I've been having issues with the remote key fob working intermittently (stopped for a few months, then worked again for a few months, then stopped again) and the tailgate demister. When the key fob works, then both of my keys work, so i know its the car that's the issue. Only use the demister in winter, so only recently noticed that it isn't working and that the fuse (30a, as per guide) blows immediately when switched on. Then i remembered the demister fuse blowing last winter, and that might have lined up with when the keys didn't work...
i assume a short somewhere in the wiring.

so my question is: does anyone know enough about the wiring to tell me if there's likely to be a connection between these issues, and hopefully a fix!

thanks in advance
Mursy
There's a very good chance that there's broken wires in the "elephant trunk" that routes the wiring between the body and the hatch.
Schmiedmann has repair kits for both sides available.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Like he said. You need to get at all the wires in there. On my cabrio, I removed the trunk lid liner and was able to create enough slack in the harness to pull them out of bellows. Kits from europe have new bellows. I got mine from Estonia. I had nine broken wires.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
what they all said.

The power for the demister AND the connections for the remote locking live under the rear 'spoiler' fin.
You get to pull the black plastic cover (it always breaks)
then undoing the 4 10mm head bolts to take the spoiler off.
BE CAREFUL of that spoiler- there's an antenna glued to the spoiler that's
got a very lightweight connection to the FZW- you have to work the sealant
loose around the 'wire' and then unplug it from the FZW.

Then you get to work on the elephant trunk.

Oil the weasels out of the hinges for the glass and the gate, while you're there-
they love to rust up and bend things all out of whack.

Does your radio work a bit worse, too?

t

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
There's a very good chance that there's broken wires in the "elephant trunk" that routes the wiring between the body and the hatch.
The elephant trunk at the upper right corner flexed many cycles and the wires inside broke. Be surprised how many they are.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
4,169 Posts
These guys offer many repair kits for the tailgates:

New elephant trunk and very high quality wires inside. Complete kits of very high quality, if they make one (?) for your car.
They are located in Berlin.

I've used the kits for 2 E61's.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I lie. Mine came from Latvia via ebay. Cheaper shipping than Scheidmann. Same product I believe. Much easier and neater than splicing in new wires. Or try Don's place.

·
Registered
320i Touring
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not aware of any problems with radio, but i usually listen to music from my phone, so wouldn't notice

Thank you all very much :) when it warms up a bit ill be looking at the wiring loom / spoiler then!

·
Registered
320i Touring
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had a search, but I can't find any guides to doing this on a touring (wagon), only on sedans. Is anyone aware of one? Mainly I wanna know how much of car interior I have to dismantle to get to the (other end of the) wires and best way to this

·
Registered
E46 320d touring 2002
185 Posts
You have o take this cover off, it is inside the trunk below the spoiler:

As said above it may break, mine did. It has 4 plastic clips. Then you will see 4 bolts for the spoiler, take care and don't break the wire attached, lay the spoiler up in the roof with a cloth.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The problem could be the heating elements in the screen could have been worn away by the rubber seal/surround when he window has been opened and closed on multiple occasions.

·
Registered
320i Touring
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had a search, but I can't find any guides to doing this on a touring (wagon), only on sedans. Is anyone aware of one? Mainly I wanna know how much of car interior I have to dismantle to get to the (other end of the) wires and best way to this
You have o take this cover off, it is inside the trunk below the spoiler:
View attachment 922188
As said above it may break, mine did. It has 4 plastic clips. Then you will see 4 bolts for the spoiler, take care and don't break the wire attached, lay the spoiler up in the roof with a cloth.
Thanks for your help, I've got that piece off (and yes I broke the clips last time I removed it to repair the hinges) now I'm wondering about where the elephant trunk dissappears into the chassis: looks like I have to remove the interior trim from D pillars to access the wiring loom under the roof lining. This is assuming I replace a section of wire to either side of the (presumably damaged) elephant trunk. Or do I not need to do this?

Also: any idea which side its likely to be, affecting the demister and FZW?

Thanks again

·
Registered
E46 320d touring 2002
185 Posts
Im not sure but I think you can detach de black gasket stripe on the border of the roof lining and then move a little of the roof lining down.
I think you don't need to do anything on the D pillar.
Here you will find how to strip covers, so tedious to find sorry, I did, but can't remember where.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts