E46 Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 40 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Great progress, well done.
Sad little engine though, I share no love for the N46. Stupid Peugoet engine!
Has the vacuum pump on the back of the cylinder head started leaking oil onto the exhaust manifold yet?
I dont know if this engine has anything to with peugeot? That mini turbo engine was psa/bmw engine. I think N42 and N46 are BMW engines.
Vacuum pump gaskets are already replaced :)
I am genuine 6-cylinder BMW guy, but if this takes me over winter for free.. i drive it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
N42 and N46 were built by Peugoet under licence from BMW. After that, a partnership emerged and PSA got the contract to install their Prince engines into mini coopers. N42 and N46 were plagued with VVT issues and oil leaks, also the fitting of a transverse engine into a longitudinal frame means you have a vacuum pump and water pipe outlets on the back of the cylinder head right up against the firewall. When the engine is in a transverse layout these aren't an issue as they are easy to reach but install it longitudinal and now you basically have to drop the motor to access the back of the head.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Do you have any fact about this? Google dont know anything about Peugeot producing N46 engines.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The E46 sedan was produced here at the Rosslyn plant in SA. I was told by one of the staff that it was build by Peugoet and shipped to SA for installation into E46 318i. I cannot find any documentation on it but I trust my source.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
The E46 sedan was produced here at the Rosslyn plant in SA. I was told by one of the staff that it was build by Peugoet and shipped to SA for installation into E46 318i. I cannot find any documentation on it but I trust my source.
Maybe e46 cars were produced in US, it was new to me. My car is made in Germany. Munich
VIN code proves it: WBAEY310X0KS43475. K means Munich.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1231273

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Bath time

This is my weekly wash routine

-Bilt-Hamber autofoam prewash with foam lance
-Pro-Kleen Troll´s Breath de-iron fluid for wheels
-Kränzle pressure washer 60 celsius wash
-Malco verryberry wax shampoo & car pro wash mitt
-Kränzle pressure washer 60 degree wash
-Drying with Elite car care yellow big drying towel / blade for windows

Snow foam doing its job..

De-iron fluid working

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Great looking car! I also have a 316i but not as fresh as yours! Working on it though! :)
Thanks , and good luck with your car. Is it with same engine?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks , and good luck with your car. Is it with same engine?
Thanks! Different engine, I have an N40 engine, a smaller displacement version of the N42 designed for several countries only. (Yes they made it slower :banghead: ) But hey, fuel economy right? And it's my very first BMW, we all have to start from somewhere.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
I remember your 325i thread quite well. Interesting to see you got a base E46 with few options and MTech 1 bumpers. Curious to see where this goes. You sure know how to bring out the sheen in the paint :thumbup:
It was mistake to sell that 325i, it was such great car (and in great condition), should i buy it back? :p

This car has been in my family from new, my father bought it 2005 when it was brand new from our local BMW dealer.
Car was one of last E46 which they sold in our BMW dealer, it was offered for lower price because E90 was already in preorder. This car was lying in harbour with this kind of factory options. My father added only multifunction steering wheel, engine/interior heaters and winter tyres.

My father bought new volkswagen golf sportsvan with DSG.. and he sort of like this E46, and do not really want to sell it.
So i said, i can give it little TLC before winter and if i dont find anything 6-cylinder E46 for my second car i try to drive over winter.
Next to do list is front shocks + top mounts. I am waiting parts from Germany. Bilstein B4 shocks naturally, same as rear..

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
It was mistake to sell that 325i, it was such great car (and in great condition), should i buy it back? :p

This car has been in my family from new, my father bought it 2005 when it was brand new from our local BMW dealer.
Car was one of last E46 which they sold in our BMW dealer, it was offered for lower price because E90 was already in preorder. This car was lying in harbour with this kind of factory options. My father added only multifunction steering wheel, engine/interior heaters and winter tyres.

My father bought new volkswagen golf sportsvan with DSG.. and he sort of like this E46, and do not really want to sell it.
So i said, i can give it little TLC before winter and if i dont find anything 6-cylinder E46 for my second car i try to drive over winter.
Next to do list is front shocks + top mounts. I am waiting parts from Germany. Bilstein B4 shocks naturally, same as rear..
Nice little story. Can't wait to see how it will progress

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Nice job on the wash. Is it topaz blue?

I struggle to get my topaz really shiny. Still on the hunt for the perfect product.
No it is Mystic blue. Topazblue it is one of my favourite BMW colours.
Should be really fine with machine polishing?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Some small updates today

New BMW Badge + rubber seals
Philips silvervision bulbs for indicators
Fixed left front door speaker problem, only connector was loose. Now i can "enjoy" sound of basic stero..

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Front shock replacement first phase.
Shocks will be Bilstein B4 , same as rear axle.

21 - 40 of 197 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.