BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Long time reader, first time poster.

First off, my disclaimer: I searched the forums for help on this topic, and although I think it's unique because I couldn't find anything that quite suited my needs, please don't flame me if this has been covered before. Throw me a link and delete the post... and accept my apologies.

My Car:
E46, 323i, 2000, M52TU engine.

The Situation:
I'm switching out my CCV valve and its associated hoses right now (I've got the wookie noise when I open the oil cap while the engine is running). From all I've heard the CCV assembly is the most likely culprit.

The Problem:
Anyways, my main problem surrounds the fact that on my particular model there is still an actual THROTTLE CABLE rather than the electronic throttle of the later E46s.

What I need to know is how to move this item out of way so I can access & remove the throttle body and related parts in order to access the CCV. My major concern is damaging the throttle cable, as a complete uninstall/reinstall looks like a huge PITA on top of dealing with the CCV; and also, I've heard that the cables are quite sensitive and that tampering with the throttle cable can cause all sorts of issues with your idle and acceleration (really don't want to this to turn into a "make work" project).

Can anyone advise the best way to just temporarily move this item out of the way without actually creating too much extra work on my part?

I'm at work right now so I can't post pictures (there are pics in the Haynes and probably the Bentley manual too); but can post some if requested/needed.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I just did this last weekend. It's really very easy. Hope this isn't too late.

There is a hangar for the cable housing in the Idle Control Valve mount - just pull the housing up and unhook it. Then remove the ICV, mount, and lower intake boot all as a unit. The cable has a ball end that you can unhook from the throttle linkage. I actually removed the throttle body and then unhooked the cable.

·
Registered
82 Posts
IMPORTANT -->>> make it a point to remember to put that throttle cable back into position ! <<<-- IMPORTANT

I forgot to do this after I had replaced the ICV, and few days later while driving on the highway, lost pedal control, i.e., press the gas pedal and car would not react.
It was very scary as I was merging onto a highway lane from an exit ramp, and I could not accelerate, and had to pull into the shoulder and call the tow truck.

Fortunately, there was no car behind me when I lost the pedal control, else I would have been rear ended.

Be careful !!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts