E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my roofracks installed. 260.87 shipped from FCP Euro.

Works with very minor modification to the roof gutter cover.

From research, roof racks for E39 and E46 sedans & touring are pretty much the same.

Looks like the roof bases for E46 have some "reliefs" for the plastic insert that locks the gutter cover. The E39 does not.

The left side roof base is preset on the cross bars depends on the model/body style. The 5mm allen screws are capped and threadlocked. Do not use a ball end allen.

I had to clip the pieces of the plastic inserts that interferes with the E39 roof base.

Took me about 2 hrs to install. Mostly from trying to get the crossbars centered to the car.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
330ci Coupe 6MT
1,934 Posts
Sorry, I have to ask, why not buy the E46 ones? $260 for the E39 bars doesn't exactly sound like you were saving anything. Are the E46 roof bars NLA now or something?

Edit - Just checked and the E46 roof bar set is still available (at least it is here). And only £135. So I don't get it!

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I have to ask, why not buy the E46 ones? $260 for the E39 bars doesn't exactly sound like you were saving anything. Are the E46 roof bars NLA now or something?

Edit - Just checked and the E46 roof bar set is still available (at least it is here). And only £135. So I don't get it!
Yes, the E46 and E39 sedan racks are NLA here in US. There are used ones in ebay but want a new one of the same year range as this car.

A nice thule ones cost about $300+

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am a Thule and Yakima man myself. I keep a thule rack on my E39 and a Yakima on my E53.
My E46 is a convertible. Otherwise it would also have a rack.

Turns my car into a pick-up truck

View attachment 966556
Man, that's ballsy! I'm going for a Thule bike carrier on this one. Hopefully next week if stores here have some in stock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts