E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching but cant find the right answer.. My buddy is giving me his e39 m5 18" rims staggered and heard about the offset of these wheels not compatible to our cars... But i dont want to give up the opportunity of getting these for free.. What should i do to make these rims fit 2004 330ci?

Thnx and sorry for this nubby question.. But i really know nothing about wheels..

Thanks again in advance...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Most likley you will have to roll rear fenders and run stretched tyre but does depend on the widths, I'm running 18x8.5 et 22 and 18x10 et25 stretched tyre rolled rear fenders.

·
Registered
8,880 Posts
they are 18x8 et20, 18x9.5 et22. You'll need a 235/40/18 rear tire if you are lowered, but it should probably be a firm setup. Front tire will probably have to be pretty narrow since it is going on an aggressive offset 8" wide wheel. Like a 205/45/18 maybe. You'll also probably need some extra camber, something like -2.5 for the rear and as much as the alignment shop can add to the front. Also need to have the rear fender lips rolled tight.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i would disagree, your bang on with the tyre widths 205 and 235, i would say use the same tyre setup as mines 205/40/18 on front and 235/35/18 on the rears the 40 and 45 profile are too fat. Im running 18x8.5 et 22 and 18x10 et25 with them tyre sizes rolled rear fenders and no camber adjusting and no rubbing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is it possible though not to roll the fernder? from what i understand the fender will be higher... and what if i change rims? wouldnt the fenders be too high if i go back to the natural setup?

·
Registered
8,880 Posts
i would disagree, your bang on with the tyre widths 205 and 235, i would say use the same tyre setup as mines 205/40/18 on front and 235/35/18 on the rears the 40 and 45 profile are too fat. Im running 18x8.5 et 22 and 18x10 et25 with them tyre sizes rolled rear fenders and no camber adjusting and no rubbing.
It should stay as close to OEM sizing as possible, therefore I used those sidewall height percentages.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info guys... If i roll the fenders.. And decided to change rims in the future... Would it still look the same?

·
Registered
8,880 Posts
Oem figment in uk was 225/40/18 and 255/35/18
Correct. When you make the tire narrower, but retain the sidewall height, the sidewall obviously gets lower. When you are talking a 20 mm difference in widths, the sidewall height would be noticeably smaller. Then you have the wrong tire diameter installed.

·
Registered
8,880 Posts
You need an adapter to go from the e39's larger hub to your smaller hub. It should be hub centric, yes.

·
Registered
8,880 Posts
Everything will bolt up to your car just fine with those rings.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Correct. When you make the tire narrower, but retain the sidewall height, the sidewall obviously gets lower. When you are talking a 20 mm difference in widths, the sidewall height would be noticeably smaller. Then you have the wrong tire diameter installed.
Not necessarily cause when I compared the Tyres on a tyre calculater them sizes were in the 2.5% rule.

·
Registered
8,880 Posts
Not necessarily cause when I compared the Tyres on a tyre calculater them sizes were in the 2.5% rule.
Like I said, I was keeping the numbers as close as possible to OEM. I run a 235/35/19. You need a 235/40/18 in the rear since your wheel is 1" smaller than mine. A 35 profile on a 235/18" tire is not correct on our cars. These are facts. Plus, my example is only off by 0.7%

;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts