BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am not feeling that good my cousin has just told me he's buying a E39 540 286 BHP standard...

I only have 231... plus remap nothing else mod wise....

He reckons that he will dust me of the lights... I know he's got more horses but he has more weight ...

Whats the deal here will he win easy or will I keep up??

Anyone ever play with one are they that quick ??

Just wanted to know as at the moment he has a Lexus GS300 and I know I can leave him behind in that.....

Any thoughts... ???

JAY:)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
they are pretty quick though

ive always wanted one but it has around the same specs as my ls400 and my ls400 walks on e46 non ms

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Ok I am not feeling that good my cousin has just told me he's buying a E39 540 286 BHP standard...

He reckons that he will dust me of the lights... I know he's got more horses but he has more weight ...

Just wanted to know as at the moment he has a Lexus GS300 and I know I can leave him behind in that.....

Any thoughts... ???

Yeah, that 540 will smoke your azz...

·
Registered
647 Posts

Any thoughts... ???

Near as I can tell, that would be the 4.4l V-8 variant (bad news for you!).

There's not a lot of data as to which variant produced the times shown below (that's 0-60mph, and 1/4 mile), but the "Sport" is the one your cousin has.

1993 BMW 540i 6.9 15.3
1994 BMW 540i 7.9 16.0
1995 BMW 540i 6.2 14.8
1996 BMW 540i Sport 5.8 14.4
1997 BMW 540i 6.2 14.6
1998 BMW 540i Sport 5.5 14.0
2001 BMW 540i (Automatic) 5.7 14.3
2001 BMW 540i 6-Speed 5.5 14.0

Those times are faster than the stock 330ci is going to turn, and almost the same as the ZHP model (about the same 0-60, but a little quicker through the quarter mile). You're going to have to settle for getting a lot better gas mileage (and these days, that does count for more).

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have an auto 330ci 231hp , i raced my friend in his 97 540i auto many times , from 0-60 im half a car ahead every time , the 540 is very heavy but after that he starts pulling away slowly , at 100mph he is 2 cars ahead . im pretty sure that from a standing start you will definetly jump on him and only at about 90-100 he will pass u and start pulling . From a roll its a different story though .
Race him , u will be happy with what your car can do even tho he will get u at higher speeds . he can only dream about dusting u off the line .
forget what they tell u here , the 330s they have in the US are slow .

·
Registered
191 Posts
The 330 will be better balanced too. I think the v8 in the 540 throws off the 'perfect' weight distribution, and I believe it also has recirculating ball steering vs. a rack so it doesn't handle quite as precisely as the smaller engined 5 series models. It'll be faster in a straight line though.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have an auto 330ci 231hp , i raced my friend in his 97 540i auto many times , from 0-60 im half a car ahead every time , the 540 is very heavy but after that he starts pulling away slowly , at 100mph he is 2 cars ahead . im pretty sure that from a standing start you will definetly jump on him and only at about 90-100 he will pass u and start pulling . From a roll its a different story though .
Race him , u will be happy with what your car can do even tho he will get u at higher speeds . he can only dream about dusting u off the line .
forget what they tell u here , the 330s they have in the US are slow .
Not mine

·
Registered
477 Posts
EDIT
The 330 will be better balanced too. I think the v8 in the 540 throws off the 'perfect' weight distribution, and I believe it also has recirculating ball steering vs. a rack so it doesn't handle quite as precisely as the smaller engined 5 series models. It'll be faster in a straight line though.
/edit

maybe slower

I've never felt slow stock. Tho now I do have a little help :4ngie:

In all seriousness now. Why do people buy bmw's which excel as road and track cars-to drag race??? If your goal is to one up your buddy on a drag get a [enter random American v8 sports car here], hell you may get two of them for the price of a bmw (may be different outside of the states).

:idea: Challenge your buddy to a driver's race. Find a track and he'll probably be wishing he had your 330. Plus its much more exciting than going a 1/4 of a mile in 14s.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
my mom has a 540i auto and i have a 330ci manual. I drive both cars all the time. The 540 is quick as hell... it throws down a lot of power, but, i do not believe that you will get "smoked" as many people on this thread are saying you will. I think you can jump him off the line, but he will walk you throughout the high speeds. It shouldnt be too bad though.

Take him through the twisties and you will smoke his sorry ass no doubt. :4ngie:

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
e39's are :puke:

all opinion

1 - 20 of 33 Posts