E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
P.I.M.P.
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys.....i have been thinking about it for a while, and finally decided to ask. As you know the 95 e36 m3's have 3.0 litre engines. check out this picture
http://www.activeautowerke.com/Supercharged/SC-grfx/E36M3EngBay3.jpg
Now i was wondering, is it possible to swap intake manifolds from the e36 m3, to an e46 330....would it be a direct bolt on since both are 3.0 bmw engines? Also, would there be any benefit in doing this?? I was thinking a slight incrase in torque/hp, but i wasn't sure. Im am sure anyone can get this part very cheap, which is why i ask.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I got a question....will the 325i E36 engine covers fit on a E46 325i engine? They look the same?

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
7,683 Posts
I would think you might lose some low end tq and probably end up with a computer code. The E46 has a variable length intake runner to increase the intake track at low RPM for tq and decrease the length for high RPM HP. But it could work, only way to find out it try.

Tim

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I asked this before. The M54 intake manifold is a two stage manifold. This is why Shrick has yet to come up with an intake manifold for the M54 motor. Because of this, it isn't a worthwhile idea, because of the costs that will be incurred.

·
P.I.M.P.
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see, thanks Amir....One more question, if one were to hypothetically do it sucessfully, what would he stand to gain? Higher top end hp, lower bottom end torque??

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
7,683 Posts
bigger intake manifold in theory should give you top end HP and a lose of low end tq.

Tim

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
tim330i said:
bigger intake manifold in theory should give you top end HP and a lose of low end tq.

Tim
Exactly....many m3 guys with the 3.2 run the 3.0 manifold to gain a large amount of top end HP. They suffer some torque loss, but the 3.2 creates much better low end torque than the 3.0 anyway. Another thing you will need to thinka bout is the throttle body. You might have to go with the m3 tb, which is mechanical and not dbw.......too much work.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
K-DOG said:
I see....i probably will not do this, but is porting the stock manifold an option??
I think the main bottle neck with the m54 powerplant is the cylinder head. After about 6000 rpm, it doesn't not flow adequately. You should think about that before the intake manifold :)

·
P.I.M.P.
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Amir said:

I think the main bottle neck with the m54 powerplant is the cylinder head. After about 6000 rpm, it doesn't not flow adequately. You should think about that before the intake manifold :)
Could you share your knowledge, I am very curious about this topic.

Also, what about the Euro M3 engine. It was much more advanced then the engine the e36 m3 got in america. As im sure you know had double vanos in the 3.2 version. Thus its a much more advanced engine overall. My questions is then, is the euro engine's manifold a two stage manifold?(and would it be compatible without major mods?) or is it the same as all e36 M3 models.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I believe even the last model of E36 M3 euro had a single stage intake manifold. I went ahead and invested a little ($150) to find out what the potential to using a E36 intake manifold on a E46 would be, I picked up the 3L 95' intake, with the considerably larger intake runner...I've got a 2000 323i, and I found the throttle body fits!...except you gotta turn that sucker 90' and then it's a matter of getting the throttle cable to reach now that you've turned it and all the other small details that come with this change. Not going to be worthwile unless you can change the dme software to accept the single stage manifold and like everybody says, you'll loose the low end and the only way you'll gain top end is if your computer doesn't go nuts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts