E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey fanatics, i need some help to resolve my issues, i have a 98 323is and i have to pass smog but im getting a error code p0505 which is idle control malfunction. im getting bad gas mileage too and i replaced my o2 sensors 2 months ago.

i changed it 2 times from which i bought used. im idling at around 1100-1200 :banghead:. my research tells me that it could be my thermostat stuck which is causing a high idle because it thinks my car isnt warmed up yet or a coolant temp. sensor. Also im thinking it could be a vacuum leak but i tried the throttle body cleaner but couldnt find any visible leaks.

where would be a common place where vacuum leaks are found? would a vacuum leak cause the code p0505 to show up? i read somewhere that this code will pop up whenever the idle is 100 rpms away from normal but im not sure if this is true. some guy i know tried to erase the p0505 code but it wouldnt erase..... i need helpp e46fanatics! :thanks:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Step one, clean your ICV.

Step two, you probably have a vac leak somewhere, check intake boot and any line to/from the intake mani while your cleaning the ICV.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay i just got done cleaning my ICV and checking for vacuum leaks. i swapped out my ICV with another ICV i had and cleaned it and it was the same. i checked for cracks in my boots or any place that connects to my intake manifold. i took of my TPS and the rpms jump up 500. i also took out ICV plug and jumped up 500 rpm. i took out the plug out my MAF and the car shut off. i checked the grommets for the ICV and CCV and they were fine and checked the CCV pipe that runs to the valve cover. i checked everything but im still getting a high idle! HELP!!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:bump: i need help!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Car drives 100% fine except the idle? Provide more info

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah everything runs fine. i just have a high idle..... i have tried everything!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
out of all of my research, im guessing its my ccv. when i rev my car in neutral, its takes a while for it to get back to idle. when i take off my oil filler cap there is a vacuum and car begins to idle rough. any other symptoms of a bad ccv?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i talked to a mechanic and he said it could be the camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, coolant temp sensor, knock sensor or maybe the ccv? i really need help, i have 3 weeks to pass smog

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
and also when i start the car, the car jumps to about 1500 rpm and drops quickly back to 1000 and stays there, could this be the coolant temp sensor or the thermostat?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fixed the problem! it was such an easy problem to fix, there was a adjuster screw for the throttle body which made it open very little taking all the air into it instead of the ICV. i opened the screw so that the TB closes all the way and now it runs perfect! NO check engine light and just passed my smog! :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts