E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its on a e36 318is 93,
Just replaced the entire cooling system.. so new water pump, new 80 degree thermostat, new hoses, thermostat housing, gaskets, coolant, radiator, lower temp sensor, electric fan no more clutch fan thingy... but the silly thing will at idle run perfect.. drive it a block bam temp increases..

head gasket in great working order, so im not draining coolant.. but WHAT IS GOING ON? ive been trying to get it to have safety and emissions for the past 3 months lol and my e46 decided it needed a whole new oil pan and underguard last week so my life has been very rough...

please let me know..

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
^ this

Make sure you bled the system correctly.. That happened to me a few years ago, didn't bleed the system right so when I started driving the temperature would go up.. Wouldn't hurt to check again..

·
Banned
1,883 Posts
Not bled correctly.
But neither is my car, as "normal" temps are now 96-97c vs 93c and will reach about 99c before the aux fan kicks on.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
As others have mentioned, it sounds as though you need to rebleed the system. Sounds like there's an air in the system.
Question though, with the higher temperature thermostat is the engine temp needle still dead center or does it settle in a few degrees to the right?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone.. i bled the system ran it for 3 days kinda excessive and last night 68 degrees out windy, it wanted to over heat at idle.. possible bad head gasket?? i didnt add the water wetter to the system could that also be why?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
heres a question.. if i took out the new temp sensor and put in the old.. would that help or make the cause worse? also is there an upgraded cooling radiator or dual fan set up so i dont have to go back to the fanclutch?
also it seems like the starter is going out.. because it didnt want to start the last night but when i pushed started it, it ran fine... i picked this hoopty up for a grand and it needed some work but ive been slowly fixing it back up ..
and it runs rough ever so often when starting up..

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i grabbed some redline wetter..but there was some other stuff that ran cooler and was blue by dfi or dei, some thing like that..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts