E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Question about e-46 R shrouds and retrofitting AL halogen headlights into projectors on a facelift E 46 sedan:

Any ideas why the fitment of the shrouds would not work here?

It's not a matter of fitting the shrouds over the projector, but rather there doesn't seem to be enough room in the actual headlight to fit the shroud without massive amounts of trimming. Especially the space above the projector and below the roof of the headlight housing.

Anyone else run into this and have a solution that doesn't involve shaving 40 percent of the shroud?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I went through exactly the same issue this summer when retrofitting projectors in my OEM reflector housings. The E-46R shrouds wouldn't fit particularly most of the top side and the corners of the shrouds required extensive trimming in order to fit especially due to them leaving no space for the Angel Eye clips to be attached.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a better alternative (which I think is the reason some people don't even bother installing the shrouds).
That said, it can be done with almost perfect results using a Dremel cutting disk and the small sanding drums. Once installed, you won't be able to tell the difference between an OEM setup and these. :)

Also, I would recommend you use gloves when handling them as the chrome finish might start fading while working on them. Finally, make sure that the shrouds you got aren't the "E46-R Extended" type because these are even larger than the regulars.

Hope this helps,
Mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts