BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wrapped this project up, 1 of 2 ESS VT2-550 E46M3's in California.

The torque numbers are insane!!! This is on a street car that has 80k miles putting out solid/reliable #'s. I can't wait to get some dyno time in my car with our race exhaust system!

No ECU/timing adjustments were made when we tune the meth system, all we're doing is fine tuning the meth progression rate. The tune on this car is a standard off the shelf VT2-550 tune, so you can run the car with or without meth and there will be no harm done to the engine.

Mod list:
ESS VT2-550 (93 octane)
Platte Forme a.g. Header
MXP Muffler
AEM Meth Kit 52% water/48% Meth
Stock sec1/2

ESS Tuning VT2-550
Specs:
Boost pressure: 9 PSI
Horsepower: 550 SAE/507 DIN (65% increase over stock)
Torque: 350 lb-ft

ESS Rated to the wheels: (15% drivetrain loss)
HP: 550 SAE x .85 = ~467.50
TQ: 350 SAE x .85 = ~297.50

We put down to the wheel on a low reading dynojet (E92M3 put down 306whp)
HP: 463.62
TQ: 307.94

The whp numbers are even better than what the kit is rated at... check out the torque!!! Ignore the the A/F reading on the baseline dyno, the sniffer backed out of the exhaust.

After fine tuning the meth settings on the dyno... (again these numbers are to the wheels with 93 octane + meth) An average of 22-25whp gain across the board!!!
HP: 485.65!!!!
TQ: 323.18!!!!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Everytime I look at a supercharger dyno graph it always takes me a second or two to realize what I"m looking at haha.. damn things are so linear!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wow, amazing results..... Any detailed pics on the aem install??
Im going to do the same on my vt2-500 z4.... The stock ess tune is a thing of beauty......

Did you uprate the fuel pump ??? Any info on the fuel setup needed for the 550???

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, amazing results..... Any detailed pics on the aem install??
Im going to do the same on my vt2-500 z4.... The stock ess tune is a thing of beauty......

Did you uprate the fuel pump ??? Any info on the fuel setup needed for the 550???
I don't have any photos of the meth install, its very straight forward just a pump, nozzle, and lines.

We're still on a factory fuel pump, ESS supplies everything for the 550 kit. There is no modifications made to the fuel system like other kits on the market. (i.e. aftermarket fuel pressure regulators/lines..etc)

Everything ESS supplies for the fuel system is factory fit replacement parts, makes life a lot easier for guys who plan to return their car back to stock in the future.

We've had great results with the 500 kit + meth in the past (dyno chart below).

We're currently still using the smallest nozzle(130ml/min) on the 550 kit, next time we hit the dyno we'lll test the medium size nozzle(315ml/min) and see if that works better for the 550 kit.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Awesome!! And props to HPF Chirs It***8217;s not every day you see a vendor complementing something that has to do with a competitor's product

·
Registered
130 Posts
OP when i finish my install as per your instructions, once spraying water/meth will i notice a change in AFRs??? leaner/richer?? im guessing as this is altering combustion or enhancing the combustion i will see a slight change in AFRs......????

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Good job love the added power from the meth setup!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
711 Posts
OP when i finish my install as per your instructions, once spraying water/meth will i notice a change in AFRs??? leaner/richer?? im guessing as this is altering combustion or enhancing the combustion i will see a slight change in AFRs......????
Methanol is a fuel. You're A/F will become richer depending the amount you are spraying.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Methanol is a fuel. You're A/F will become richer depending the amount you are spraying.
were not using as a fuel supplement however.... we using it purely to "cool" charge air.... No changes are being made to our tunes.... were spraying just after the intercooler, but this the time this reaches the intake its just a colder charge temp adn steam...... so im trying to find out if this will show a richer.leaner mix....

so if its -1 deg C outside, i guess id see that on my AFR gauge as well?? Because effectively thats all this mod is doing....

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
were not using as a fuel supplement however.... we using it purely to "cool" charge air.... No changes are being made to our tunes.... were spraying just after the intercooler, but this the time this reaches the intake its just a colder charge temp adn steam...... so im trying to find out if this will show a richer.leaner mix....

so if its -1 deg C outside, i guess id see that on my AFR gauge as well?? Because effectively thats all this mod is doing....
We're doing the exact same thing.

We didn't make any adjustment to our ECU/Timing for the meth. All we did was fine tune the meth controller to engine at the optimal setting.

If you spray a large amount the car will run richer, if you're using it just for cooling the a/f change will be minimal (richer).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Op can u post pics of how/where youve mounted the pump? Im guessing you using the washer bottle??

1 - 20 of 31 Posts