BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got back from the shop and here are the results. I did several dyno runs back on 8/2/04 to compare stock MAF to one with the screens removed (lost HP) so I have somewhat of a baseline. The outside temp was about 8 degrees cooler today than last month, but the dyno is supposed to compensate for that. I use the same gas station all the time (Mobil 93). So other than the time lapse and possible accuracy variations in the dyno itself all other things are equal with my car.

My current engine mods for these runs are: Conforti intake, Shark Injector, Tuner Motorsports underdrive pulleys (including alternator) and illuminated ///M shifter (at least 5HP) :)

I was expecting at least a couple of HP increase, but oh well. At least I didn’t lose any. By the way, I put just over 600 miles on the exhaust before today, so I would say that the ECU has done all the learning it is going to. It is interesting to note that each time I have dynoed my car (3 times so far) that the first run is always a low HP run. Today for instance the first run was only 196 HP and 190 TQ, but the 2nd and 3rd pulls were 204.6 and 205.1 HP respectively.

I am still happy with the TSE3 exhaust because it sounds sooo awesome and I love the tips. It will be interesting to see if others with a stock engine will post different results.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
:hmm: so your saying you didn't notice any gains? this is odd. i got flamed for saying this before, but to hell with them. before i installed my TSE2, my friends IS300 (slightly modded, stick) would pull on my 325. after the exhaust install and some break in miles, our cars are now dead even, each and every time. and he's a friend, so hell, we've done that prob. like 20-30 times.....before the exhaust, results were always the same. (lose :bawling: ) after, it's even all the time, so i def. got something out of mine.....even if results don't show on the dyno...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just a reminder that dyno results are innaccurate due to all of the factors that go into a dyno run. Plus the type of dyno makes a difference. They should only be used as a baseline. Your car should be faster, simply because of the weight of the exhaust, if I remember correctly, it is 30lbs lighter then the oem exhaust.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cls1000 said:
:hmm: so your saying you didn't notice any gains? this is odd. i got flamed for saying this before, but to hell with them. before i installed my TSE2, my friends IS300 (slightly modded, stick) would pull on my 325. after the exhaust install and some break in miles, our cars are now dead even, each and every time. and he's a friend, so hell, we've done that prob. like 20-30 times.....before the exhaust, results were always the same. (lose :bawling: ) after, it's even all the time, so i def. got something out of mine.....even if results don't show on the dyno...

I agree with you, the car is definately more responsive and "seems" faster, but the dyno shows no gains.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Also realize that things like humidity, elevation, air density go into the dyno number too. Also things like if you drove the car more before the run last time as opposed to this time, etc etc.

Dyno's suck for trying to find minute gains. They're only useful to see a huge gain from, say, a S/C and to give u an idea of where you're at and only useful in very controlled environments. I'd love to see a scientific report done on the margin of error of dynos!!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
may be its the weight loss from TS3. How heavy is stock exhaust vs TSE3. 10lbs = 1hp

·
Registered
399 Posts
spending $895 for the TSE3 i would hope that you'd get some hp gains, but its just a catback system and those hardly change power anyway. at least it sounds :str8pimpi

·
Registered
399 Posts
but i remember back in the day my friend spent almost $600 on a DC Sport cat back for his accord and it did not increase hp/tq at all but i sounded different

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
5,218 Posts
gokcer said:
may be its the weight loss from TS3. How heavy is stock exhaust vs TSE3. 10lbs = 1hp

the only weight that would affect something on a dyno would be rims or the brake rotors. weight of the exhaust wouldnt really mean anything on a dyno.

·
Registered
727 Posts
dmoeller17 said:
spending $895 for the TSE3 i would hope that you'd get some hp gains, but its just a catback system and those hardly change power anyway. at least it sounds :str8pimpi

Looks better, sounds better, weighs less, smile on your face...what more do ya need...personal satisfaction and pride of ownership is what its all about, dudes...and thats what sets our cars apart...

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Dalton said:
the only weight that would affect something on a dyno would be rims or the brake rotors. weight of the exhaust wouldnt really mean anything on a dyno.
I think he's refering to why the 325 feels faster and hangs with the guys is300. Since the exhaust doesn't show much gains on the dyno.

·
Banned
8,818 Posts
You cant compare dynoes take in 2 different conditions. For dynoes to be accurate to previous dynoes they have to be taken at the same time.

PS- theres no reason why lets say a (pick your choice) exhaust would gain power yet this one wouldnt. This is one of the few header/cat back exhausts out there(if not the only).

·
Registered
845 Posts
UUC = POWER !!!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

not bashing ... bottom line .. dont waste your money doing dynos with that poorly made exhaust .. and i can speak from experience .. i have had one.. its junk .. might as well but a coffee can on the end..

·
Registered
727 Posts
HIGH_HEAT said:
UUC = POWER !!!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

not bashing ... bottom line .. dont waste your money doing dynos with that poorly made exhaust .. and i can speak from experience .. i have had one.. its junk .. might as well but a coffee can on the end..
So you had a TSE3? The new system is made by Corsa Performance.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts