E46 Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 40 of 920 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi all Dynavin Fans!

Love new Dynavin and cant wait to buy one. But have few questions:

1. Is it possible to load TomTom as default navigation? I live in Poland and TomTom is unbeatable here.
2. Is it possible to change default language of unit (to polish for example)?
3. What sort of applications we can expect in Apps icon on main menu, Spotify will be much expected.

Regards

·
Registered
117 Posts
This thing looks awesome. If there was a Spotify app for it I would be all over it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Jeff

I am intending to buy an N6 for my E46 convertible and have a query which I could do with your thoughts on before I do.

My car has the bog standard Business CD radio with conventional speakers (i.e. no Harmon Kardon, or the like). It also has the factory CD autochanger mounted in the boot (trunk). All working A1.

Quite some while back, I picked up a second-hand Dynavin D99 and fitted it. Fitting was straight forward plug and pray. Whilst the Dynavin worked as expected, it had the unfortunate side effect of totally draining the battery, to the degree that the car would not start if left standing for more than 48hrs. Despite some extensive trouble shooting I was unable to resolve this problem, so I eventually gave up & removed the Dynavin and replaced the stock radio.

Once the stock radio was back in place, the battery drain problem disappeared. I therefore concluded that the Dynavin was faulty and disposed of it.

The one thing I didn't think to try during troubleshooting was disconnecting the factory CD changer, and I am now wondering if this may have been the cause of the problem. I was aware that Dynavins are not compatible with the factory CD changer in the sense that they don't communicate with it, but should I have unplugged the changer itself to avoid it drawing power unexpectedly?

·
Registered
25 Posts
That video was extremely useful! Thanks!!! That's pretty much answers all my questions about responsiveness and the navi usability.

My only outstanding questions are:

1. Does it support HD Radio?

2. How is the Radio Reception in comparison to the D99?
It would be nice to hear from someone who had issues with the D99 to upgraded to an N6 and see their experience. Looking at the video this looks like a MUCH more refined piece of hardware and software than before. As in they took some time and effort and money to invest into their product.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Jeff

I am intending to buy an N6 for my E46 convertible and have a query which I could do with your thoughts on before I do.

My car has the bog standard Business CD radio with conventional speakers (i.e. no Harmon Kardon, or the like). It also has the factory CD autochanger mounted in the boot (trunk). All working A1.

Quite some while back, I picked up a second-hand Dynavin D99 and fitted it. Fitting was straight forward plug and pray. Whilst the Dynavin worked as expected, it had the unfortunate side effect of totally draining the battery, to the degree that the car would not start if left standing for more than 48hrs. Despite some extensive trouble shooting I was unable to resolve this problem, so I eventually gave up & removed the Dynavin and replaced the stock radio.

Once the stock radio was back in place, the battery drain problem disappeared. I therefore concluded that the Dynavin was faulty and disposed of it.

The one thing I didn't think to try during troubleshooting was disconnecting the factory CD changer, and I am now wondering if this may have been the cause of the problem. I was aware that Dynavins are not compatible with the factory CD changer in the sense that they don't communicate with it, but should I have unplugged the changer itself to avoid it drawing power unexpectedly?
I am thinking it was likely a defective D99. Leaving the cd changer unplugged should not cause battery drain. I also had a cd changer in the trunk unplugged from the head unit (though i have completely removed it now) and it did not cause any problems.

·
J&T Distributing
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Hi all Dynavin Fans!

Love new Dynavin and cant wait to buy one. But have few questions:

2. Is it possible to change default language of unit (to polish for example)?
3. What sort of applications we can expect in Apps icon on main menu, Spotify will be much expected.

The stereo has many language options but Polish is not one of them....the nav program though can be had in most any language.

Regards
This thing looks awesome. If there was a Spotify app for it I would be all over it.
Spotify is an iOS/android app....I cant imagine that kind of thing being developed for a small niche product like this....Dont get carried away with the app stuff, I doubt its going to be what you are thinking.....if I had to guess I would say its probably more like traffic, weather stuff, more oem type things (see new audi connect for instance) not like android or iOS apps. My assumption is that its an open ended part of the GUI so that they can add functions down the road without having to revamp the entire system. The basic hardware is there but what they are going to do with it remains to be seen.

Keep in mind you can run spotify, pandora, stitcher, etc... on your phone and you will hear the audio through the car speakers and can control the track forward/backward from the unit or steering wheel controls.

Hi Jeff

No, something else was wrong there with your old unit or installation, the CD changer should not be an issue.

That video was extremely useful! Thanks!!! That's pretty much answers all my questions about responsiveness and the navi usability.

My only outstanding questions are:

1. Does it support HD Radio?

2. How is the Radio Reception in comparison to the D99?
It would be nice to hear from someone who had issues with the D99 to upgraded to an N6 and see their experience. Looking at the video this looks like a MUCH more refined piece of hardware and software than before. As in they took some time and effort and money to invest into their product.

Thanks,
Brian
No HD, radio reception is tricky in E46s....lots of ways it can go wrong but the new setup eliminates a lot of potential failure points. The units Ive seen and installed so far seem to have solid reception but time and installs in various markets will tell as more as time goes on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Factory CD Autochanger possible cause of battery drain problem?

I am thinking it was likely a defective D99. Leaving the cd changer unplugged should not cause battery drain. I also had a cd changer in the trunk unplugged from the head unit (though i have completely removed it now) and it did not cause any problems.
Thanks Jon (& Jeff). I thought I was probably just unlucky in acquiring a faulty D99, but it was worth checking just in case I was missing a trick.

What made me ask was that I noticed the autochanger went through what sounded like an initial loadup cycle the instant I reconnected the battery after installing the Dynavin. It belatedly occurred to me that it might have been constantly spinning in the absence of the factory head unit telling it not to.

Time to order up an N6 I think!

·
J&T Distributing
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yeah, could be something odd with the changer as well but I doubt it....you can always unplug it just in case.

·
Registered
0 Posts
New to the forum and new to dynavin. Just installed my N6 last week and it's well worth the investment. Everything works as it should, setup and install were really easy and directions were straightforward.

The biggest difficulty (if you can call it that) was the install of the back up camera. The running of the wire is a little tricky into the trunk lid (you have to fish the wire through the cable housing to where the license plate sits). The fit is tight but fished it through with a just bit of effort and some patience.

I have a couple of very minor complaints about the unit itself.

1) as Jeff points out, there is only water and oil temp that shows on the obd2 readout on the unit

2) I wish there were a way to enable Siri for us iphone users with the steering wheel control (I previously had installed soundplicity and was able to control Siri from the control)

3) no satellite functionality (I knew this going in and you can control it from the Sirius xm app) it would just be nice to have the option

Customer service has been amazing by Jeff- he is incredibly responsive and very honest and straightforward with everything. I am incredibly happy with my purchase and would not hesitate on this unit over my previous setup (business radio, sirius xm, and soundplicity Bluetooth unit).

The dynavin n6 definitely is far better than the factory navigation units I have had in previous cars and has the fit of an oem unit. If you are on the fence, I'd say without question, you won't be disappointed if you go for it....

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
J&T Distributing
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Is it plug and play on an E39 with DSP?
Thats a subject for somewhere else....but yes, that is the plan.

What extra do i need to get DAB for this unit?
You would need the DAB tuner, contact a dealer in your country as we dont have that system here in the US and I dont sell those tuners.

New to the forum and new to dynavin. Just installed my N6 last week and it's well worth the investment. Everything works as it should, setup and install were really easy and directions were straightforward.

Customer service has been amazing by Jeff- he is incredibly responsive and very honest and straightforward with everything. I am incredibly happy with my purchase and would not hesitate on this unit over my previous setup (business radio, sirius xm, and soundplicity Bluetooth unit).

The dynavin n6 definitely is far better than the factory navigation units I have had in previous cars and has the fit of an oem unit. If you are on the fence, I'd say without question, you won't be disappointed if you go for it....
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Jon, can you comment on the audio quality - especially in comparison to the stock radio and the kenwood unit you had in there? Are you using aftermarket amps?

PS - I'm from the e90 site!
The audio quality is excellent. There are plenty of adjustments to get the sound tweaked just right. It has been a while since I had the Kenwood in but I would say the audio is on par with the Kenwood (and it was a pretty good kenwood deck). Better than the stock radio. I am not running an aftermarket amp. The rest of my setup is stock (non HK).

·
J&T Distributing
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Jon, are you using the time alignment settings?

·
J&T Distributing
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Yes it will make a MASSIVE difference in your audio quality and if you are not used to listening to a aligned system it may sound weird to you at first but once its dialed it it should sound great.....but as I mentioned in the first post, if you dont know what you are doing it you can really screw things up too!.....but its not something to be afraid of....you wont break anything, wrong settings just sound bad. If you dont like the way it sounds just set it back to 0.

Yes it will be at the detriment to the passengers.

Lets do an experiment. Sit in the drivers seat, in your normal driving position, use a tape measure to get the rough dimensions from the tip of your nose to the center of each woofer. Email me those dimensions and ill make a guesstimate as to what your settings should be and explain what you should be listening for when you dial it in.

21 - 40 of 920 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.