E46 Fanatics Forum banner
41 - 60 of 1115 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
and what aabout those of us with Blackberry's or other phones? iPhone's just don't work in my area and I just want the basic Sirius feed... No luck for us?
Does anyone know of any slimline, good outboard Sirius or XM recievers that you could hide in the ashtray and just run thru an aux in?

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Yeah Jeff,
Is there a clean seamless solution to some sort of integrated Sirius for those of us without iPhones?
Will the Dynavin E46 work with an Integrated Universal Sirius Receiver?

like this one:

I'm asking because you work with other aftermarket units and I do know many Pioneer and Kenwood 2 DIN Nav Units come with their own Sirius Receiver attachment modules that either connect from under the seat or inside the trunk.

Did anyone hear if future units will be Sirius XM compatible or have Integrated Sirius Receivers?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Yeah Jeff,
Is there a clean seamless solution to some sort of integrated Sirius for those of us without iPhones?
Will the Dynavin E46 work with an Integrated Universal Sirius Receiver?

like this one:

I'm asking because you work with other aftermarket units and I do know many Pioneer and Kenwood 2 DIN Nav Units come with their own Sirius Receiver attachment modules that either connect from under the seat or inside the trunk.

Did anyone hear if future units will be Sirius XM compatible or have Integrated Sirius Receivers?[/QUOTE]

I dont see any way that sirius could be integrated into the unit in any way without dynavin and sirus' support....and I really doubt that is going to happen, plus I dont really think that any of the dynavins hardware is configured for that kind of thing. I could be wrong but I doubt it, remember sat radio is a US product and dynavin isnt very .....knowlegable....about the US market. Your best bet is to just get a external tuner and do a nice clean ashtray install and run it into the aux in.

The SSC1 unit that you noted above is in fact the one that I now use with all the pioneer head units but it requires the use of a separate interface to adapt from the SSC1's plug to the pioneer Pbus system. Pioneer used to make their own tuners but a few years ago sirius pretty much stopped supporting any aftermarket tuners and "simplified" things by bringing it all "in house," making all the tuners the same, then it was up to the head unit manufactures to figure out how to make it work. I also am using the SSC1 in my lexus, it is connected through a OEM->sat radio interface as well and works very nicely with the factory nav system BUT the radio is already set up for it, it had XM stock so it is basicly a XM > Sirius translator. These type of systems require both an audio connection, a data connection, and a control connection. The dynavin does not have this so I dont think it is possible.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
and what aabout those of us with Blackberry's or other phones? iPhone's just don't work in my area and I just want the basic Sirius feed... No luck for us?
Does anyone know of any slimline, good outboard Sirius or XM recievers that you could hide in the ashtray and just run thru an aux in?
I had a "sirius one" before I canned it for the iphone streaming apps. It is very basic but it works, there are only a couple of sirius tuners these days. Check them out and see what you think.

Any chance you could get a hold of an external hard drive and see if itll detect it through the usb port?
Cant help you there, I seem to remember someone bringing this up in one of the other monster threads.....dont remember if anything came of it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I could see sirius support through the Windows CE interface, basically you would need the wince patch from this guy: http://www.flydigital.ro/wince/

then you'd need some sort of USB like this: Link

Plug that into a S50 - Sirius Receiver and that might work.

or have a look at this page: http://www.rush2112.net/

So long as you can get Windows to see the device you can make it happen.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
I could see sirius support through the Windows CE interface, basically you would need the wince patch from this guy: http://www.flydigital.ro/wince/

then you'd need some sort of USB like this: Link

Plug that into a S50 - Sirius Receiver and that might work.

or have a look at this page: http://www.rush2112.net/

So long as you can get Windows to see the device you can make it happen.
A sirius usb link! Didnt know that existed. i stand corrected! Looks like it might be possible after all. Come on computer geniuses, make it happen.

·
Registered
122 Posts
A sirius usb link! Didnt know that existed. i stand corrected! Looks like it might be possible after all. Common computer geniuses, make it happen.
Yeah, but jeff, do you think this will provide the ability to have all of the sirius channel, song, artist, etc information on the Dynavin screen? If not, why not just plug an S50 into an aux jack since you'll have to have the unit accessible anyway?
I still don't even have a unit yet anyway, I'm just trying to gather all of my facts beforehand... lol.
BTW, jeff, where did you get your unit? Did you mention in your original write up? w/o starting an entire new thread, I've just read some of the bad press on dabears? just wondering...
Rick

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
Yes this^^^^^, I also provided a link to the dabeaks2k controversy but thats comming from other people.

Yeah, but jeff, do you think this will provide the ability to have all of the sirius channel, song, artist, etc information on the Dynavin screen? If not, why not just plug an S50 into an aux jack since you'll have to have the unit accessible anyway?
I still don't even have a unit yet anyway, I'm just trying to gather all of my facts beforehand... lol.
BTW, jeff, where did you get your unit? Did you mention in your original write up? w/o starting an entire new thread, I've just read some of the bad press on dabears? just wondering...
Rick

The idea with the usb link is to use it with a hide away module like the ssc1.
I dont have any idea if this is remotely possible, Ill leave it to the computer hacking crowd to figure it out since its a more of a windows USB interface thing than a A/V thing. Are some of the CarPC guys running Sirius....thats the place to look for some direction on this.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah, but jeff, do you think this will provide the ability to have all of the sirius channel, song, artist, etc information on the Dynavin screen?
You can do this only if you have a windows interface to the tuner device. So if there's some windows app that lets you play satellite radio it will work on the Dynavin screen.

Because there's a PC component to it, you can get tetris to play on the thing or anything else for that matter, so long as you install it to windows. Remember, it's basically a small computer inside there, so in a similar fashion that you would install an alternative navigation program is how you would do the satellite hookup. Is there some USB ODB (or whatever it's called?) reader/ software out there? then you could hook that up and run it on windows just like you would any other car pc.

NOTE: You need that WinCE patch to do any of this and probably a larger SD card.

Any chance you could get a hold of an external hard drive and see if itll detect it through the usb port?
You could hook up a hard disk to the usb port, but there might be some power issues. I don't think these ports put out the same power as a full PC would, enough to power the HD by itself. If you had an externally powered drive it would work just fine.

41 - 60 of 1115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.