E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a dynavin d90 v5. I know a lot of people use the glove box for the extra connections but i wanted something a little bit more accessible to me while driving. This is the second iteration of this. The first well i did not like how it came out. So I'm taking it out and replacing it with this one

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/828/photo2iyo.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/214/photo1kd.jpg/

I basically just made a hole at the bottom of the ashtray to feed the cables. There are two usb ports, one headphone plug (that's plexi-glass should glow red at night), and there are 2 ipod cables (one does video the other is for the dynavin controls). I'm planning on hooking up the usb form the video cable to a 5v power so the cable will always charge the phone. Left these cables long enough to reach the cup holder. I plan on shoving the cable through the hole in the ash tray when not in use. I also plan on running an aux cable to the ashtray in the back seat. I'll use a y cable to connect it with the front one to the one Aux input on the dynavin. The ashtray in the back will have the same plexi-glass adapter for the connector.

Problem with the first iteration is that i filled the ashtray with clear epoxy. This was nice but did not allow me to add the video cable. Also once the epoxy dried the iPhone was at a weird angle. Just thought I would share in case anyone else is like me and doesn't want to reach in the glove box to plug in things. Costs: ashtray - $20 (since the original was epoxied), iPhone video cable - $20, usb cables - free, aux cable - $8, Dynavin Ipod cable - about $20, total - $68. Plexi-glass was free I had a friend machine the adapter. I purchased everything on ebay.

Note: if you want to only use one usb you can plug the video cable's usb to the wince usb that is always powered. I might do this and just have a dead usb on the ashtray or get a 2 port usb hub. the other option is getting a car to usb and opening it up and connecting it to the power cables directly. I'll take pictures of this once it's installed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just though about this, a usb in the back with power. That way if someone in the back wants to charge their phone they can. I will use the same method as above to place a USB in the cigarette holder with a little glue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts