BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey people,

here a thread about a problem i want to solve.

i have got a 328i touring with a lot of play on my manual shifter.

i have got all the new parts from the BMW dealer, clips, bushes, pins the lot.

also got a multi adjustable short shifter.

http://www.schmiedmann.nl/nl/product/13495-nieuw?product=SCMSHIFT

but now i have set my mind on a double shear shift rod by uuc motorwerks.

i have tried contacting them by email to ask them if there are dealers or resellers in the Netherlands / Europe but no answer.

and i am not gonna buy a 120 dollar piece of metal + shipping costs along with customs cost just for a shift rod.

with me being a super mechanic that i am,i can make it my self for half the cost.

the only thing i need is some measurements.

now my question to you is.

a - do you have one of these laying on the shelf.

Manufacturer Part No: DSSR237

http://aakmotorsports.com/dssr-double-shear-selector-rod-e46-330-328.aspx
(the uuc site was down so i took this one )

b - do you want to help me by sending me info on the measurements of the shift rod.

c - does anybody know if there are other companies who make this or is uuc the only one.

if there is anything i can do to help anyone else i am free for all questions.

thanks guys.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,550 Posts
well I doubt Rob (UUC owner)is gonna like his measurements of his part posted. But if you have a machine shop I doubt it would be hard to make your own.

Rogue Engineering has their version of the weighted rod for better shifting too.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
I'm not sure I would trust anyone's measurements but my own on that part. I doubt anyone around here has one sitting around and is also capable of competently measuring it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dear Alex323Ci,

does rob read this forum because he does not reads my mail.

and i have enough tools and knowledge to make my own.

and i have seen the Rogue Engineering's one but this it not the one i want.

and dear WDE46,

your right about trusting other peoples measurements but i only need some not all.
i have already got the most critical measurements from my own oem shiftrod.

i am gonna make my own what so ever.
i also make my own tools so a little shiftrod wil not be a problem.
read my signatute.
its dutch and it means, if Rick can not fix it , give it to the garbage man.

dont get me wrong.
i dont want to upset anyone at uuc or on this forum for that matter but i want a sollution to my problem.

anyway thanks for your time and answers.

friendly greetings from the netherlands

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
dear Alex323Ci,

and i have seen the Rogue Engineering's one but this it not the one i want.

and dear WDE46,

your right about trusting other peoples measurements but i only need some not all.
i have already got the most critical measurements from my own oem shiftrod.

i am gonna make my own what so ever.
i also make my own tools so a little shiftrod wil not be a problem.
read my signatute.
its dutch and it means, if Rick can not fix it , give it to the garbage man.

dont get me wrong.
i dont want to upset anyone at uuc or on this forum for that matter but i want a sollution to my problem.

anyway thanks for your time and answers.

It's definitely a doable job with just a lathe and a mill. Hopefully someone can come around with these measurements you need.

·
Registered
471 Posts
OP, I may be Captain Obvious here, but be sure to replace the selector shaft rod joint, item #12: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AR51&mospid=47670&btnr=25_0375&hg=25&fg=05

My touring had a sloppy shifter, and this was the root of the problem. The foam inside the joint was gone. I tried to install a UUC DSSR while I was overhauling everything, but the forks wouldn't fit over the new rod joint or the new E60 shifter I put in. Turns out current, new OEM rod joints and shifters have additional thickness built in (you don't use the yellow washers). Didn't figure this out until the parts were in the car. I wasn't up to doing any whittling or disassembly, so I just put the old shift rod back in. NO slop - I sent the DSSR back for a refund. Cool looking part and all, but at least in my case it's not missed.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,550 Posts
dear Alex323Ci,
and i have seen the Rogue Engineering's one but this it not the one i want
well it is best you try and call again. he does pop on the forum now and again but always tells people with problems to call shop first as he often doesn't get to the emails or "private messages" on the forum.

I agree if you have machine shop experience making your own should be not difficult. I do not think the extend that rod any, sorry no dimensions. I will say I had this on my 323Ci coupe and did like it. UUC has sales all the time, just wait for the weekend or any USA holiday and it will be on sale. Seems they have a sale like every other weekend on their own products.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dear WDE46,

i actually think that i have almost every measurement but i just want to make sure there right.

thanks for the support.

Dear Grande D,

i have look at the site and the have a authorised dealer in the netherlands.

yippeeee:thumbup:

i have send them a email and still waiting for a response.
(it was a half hour ago but i am a patient man)

thanks for the tip.

the tuning scene in the Netherlands is getting bigger and bigger and i think American companies can make a lot of money here.

i know a lot of American performance companies by playing the all the versions of need for speed games and placing all the decals all over the cars in the game.

its not that i don't want to help the American economy - i have just ordered a fx250 sports clutch and a steel lightweight flywheel from clutch masters Dutch branch.

Dear Captain Obvious :) ,

i got all the parts on that drawing new and oem.

including the joint.

i also got the new spring and bush for pushing the shifter back from 5th gear to the centre position because i also have that problem.

its gonna be a big overhaul of the transmission area.

i want to do it all at once and drive the car for years to come.

i also think the reason for the excessive wear of the shift mechanism is due to the fact that the shift rod is single sided so it wears quicker.

that's the reason i want the dssr.

you also thanks for the heads up.

dear Alex323Ci,

I'm not mad at rob or you in anyway, but I'm not gonna phone the US just for a shift rod.
but thanks for the tip.
ill also keep one eye on the uuc site for the promotion sales you where talking about.

its too bad it costs a lot of money to spend my vacation in the states or else i would have picked it up on a holiday.

say hi to rob for me if you talk to him and give him my apologies for trying to copy parts from him, where he had put money and time in for research and development to create the perfect part.

thanks again for your effort.

to all of you a good night.

(its 11 o'clock at night over here)

4,239 Posts
My apologies, but I have not received your email... I reply to 100% of email I receive. If you do not get an answer, that means I did not get your email.

I have good news for you... Schmiedmann is a UUC distributor and can get whatever UUC parts you need.

There is no mystery to the dimensions of the UUC DSSRs. The part number is the length of the rod in millimeters, measured from center of hole to center of hole (match from center of pin to center of other pin on your original selector rod).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My apologies, but I have not received your email... I reply to 100% of email I receive. If you do not get an answer, that means I did not get your email.

I have good news for you... Schmiedmann is a UUC distributor and can get whatever UUC parts you need.

There is no mystery to the dimensions of the UUC DSSRs. The part number is the length of the rod in millimeters, measured from center of hole to center of hole (match from center of pin to center of other pin on your original selector rod).

dear rob,

thanks for being such a sport.
i would imagine you would be mad on people who try to copy your product you put so much time, money and effort in.
i also think its cool you make no secret about your dssr.

about my mail to you:
i dont know what went wrong but it's ok.

i have send a email to schmiedmann in the netherlands on the 9th of this month.
i got a reply saying he would check out the costs and and delivery time but i have heard nothing back yet.
now i am curious if they have contacted you yet?

but i must admit i am stil thinking of making one myself just to see if i can.
and i figured out most of the measurements already from al the parts i already have and logical thinking.
the measurments i was after where the clearence between the dssr and the flexdisk and short shifter.(the notches in de dssr so to say)
also the thickness of the shear and rod it self and type of material used.
as you can see i realy want to make a perfect product just like you.
seeing as you have the most experience i try to learn from you.
see it as a compliment.:bow:

sometimes i wish i lived i america so i could be closer to the fire, if you know what i mean.
and it will be cool to have the first dssr in the netherlands.(or do you ship this part all the time to this little part ofthe world?)

thanks again for your reaction :thumbsup::thumbup: and,

This story will be continued...........

4,239 Posts
but it's ok.

i have send a email to schmiedmann in the netherlands on the 9th of this month.
i got a reply saying he would check out the costs and and delivery time but i have heard nothing back yet.
now i am curious if they have contacted you yet?
Typically they consolidate an order of many parts; shipping cost for a single piece to the Netherlands is high, but over a large order it is reasonable.

I will forward your inquiry to Schmiedmann directly... can you email me directly so that I have your contact information to pass along to them? Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dear rob,

did you get my email.

i haven't heard from you in a while so i think your very busy.

let me know if you read this.

greetings from the stig

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes son,

what's on your mind?

some say, that he has a son in toronto and he was born from a exhaustpipe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hello fellow fanatics,

it's been a while ( 05-30-2013) but here i am again.

here is a little update from me in my little country across the big pond.

still got my sights set on a dssr, hell or high water.

the stock solution from bmw (the single sided one) is a recipe for disaster so i can change him again after a while.

Rob, i never heard from schmiedmann again, but a few days ago i struck up the conversation with schmiedmann again.

again with the question about the dssr from uuc.

i got an answer that he was trying to contact uuc motorworks but did not get a response becouse of the holiday season in the U S OF A.
(don't know if this is true)

i am a persistent little basterd and like to have things my way.

i hope i wil eventually get my hands on one.

and yes i have looked at other ones like weighted shiftrods for e.g. but it's not what i am looking for.

so far this update......ill keep y'all posted. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
hey again.....

i got fed up with waiting on answers of companies who promise to check the availability and how much this will cost or don't answer mails at all.
and the 10% discount on uuc parts convinced me order the dssr online on the uuc website.

after 2 year saving money and buying parts for my major overhaul plan,
it is getting closer and this is one of the parts is one of the last parts i need for the job.
i got a storage full of great parts and i can't wait to install them.

f.y.i.
the overhaul consists of the following

clutchmaster lightweight flywheel and fw-250 clutch.
koni fsd suspension
schmiedmann adjustable shortshifter
gear box overhaul and oil change (the famous anti rattle treatment with a quarter of red line oil)
ccv replacement with all new hoses
eibach sway bars
rear crankshaft seal replacement
and several small repairs.

if all this is installed a trip to the nurburgring nordschleife is in order.

for good measurement i ordered the magmatic oil plug as well.(might as well if ups freight cost are $70)
i wanted to order the underdrive pulley as well but then it got to expensive.

like i said .... i will get my hands on one eventually and I'm not that cheap to help the American economy (with my huge $195.77 investment:wow:)

i like to thank all of you for your advice and patience (especially Rob from uuc) because i can basterd :evil: sometimes.

if all is installed i will upload some pics and share with my fellow fanatics.

c u later and thanks for the support:thumbsup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
not yet but when i do i will let you know vito.
i did change the link between the gear link and the gearbox ( nr. 12 on the picture) and that already made a world of difference.
dssr and short shifter will be done as soon as possible (might take a little while though)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts